Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which ipad, ignoring price

• Ipad with retina display

Votes: 84 60.4%
  • Ipad mini

Votes: 55 39.6%

• Total voters

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Even with the price difference it was iPad 4 for me. I like the larger screen and retina display. I may get a mini when the screen resolution is better but it will never replace the full size iPad.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
If they were the same price I would get the full size. If they were the same price and same specs I would get he mini. I much prefer the smaller size and weight.

That said I am still very happy with my mini.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I am stunned this is so close. If they where the same price (most likely the higher iPad price), I am surprised how many people would still get an iPad mini. Looks like Apple priced the mini to low. :)

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Oh I think the mini fits me better. But a redesign of the big one, hopefully shrinking the bezels and making it lighter, could perhaps make me change my mind.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
web browsing and reading email, some app use.

I was going for the Mini, but the fact that they charge so much for it, and has an old CPU and no retina, I would prefer to get an iPad with A6 with retina

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
not even close in my opinion. the ipad 4!

now if the mini had the same specs or even just a somewhat comparable display my choice may be different..

godzill

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
if they were the same price id have to get the bigger, more powerful one - because the mini would be a complete rip off. I too got rid of an ipad 3 (gave it to my wife) and got a mini, and it was the best decision ive made with ipads yet. Ive had all of them and the mini is definitely the most versatile for me.

The big ipad sits on our kitchen counter and is basically a cookbook for my wife. in that regard its perfect since nobody has to pick it up and use it in their hands.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I would lean toward the iPad based on current specs.

However, if the difference the iPad Mini and the iPad would just be the screen size and nothing else, I would probably lean toward the iPad Mini.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Even with the price difference it was iPad 4 for me. I like the larger screen and retina display. I may get a mini when the screen resolution is better but it will never replace the full size iPad.

+1

I have owned both.

The full ipad 4, for me, has better fit and finish ... much higher build quality.

Plus the non-retina display is ... well scratchy on my eyes.

The mini form factor "improvement" is largely hype and novelty. Compared to the ipad 3 which was underpowered it is closer but I would pick the ipad 4 retina display any day.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
A lot of people are saying they want a lighter ipad but what weight would you be satisfied with?

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I've already bought both, but not all of them for me. The iPad mini, I bought intended to eventually give as a gift. The size of it is great for toting around, especially for my sister as those are handbag-sized. (As an iPad3 owner, I have one feature to be jealous of her for. The improved camera lens on the iPad mini. Seems to take better pictures at lower levels of light.)

My parents, for which they don't like to read text too small, tend to favor the large iPad sizes. So I tend to buy them based on a person's close-ranged vision and size needs. The mini's price is definitely down to the more attractive. If you have any gift card for a place that sells it, it enters that sub $300 category, especially for those you don't expect to heavily load it with large apps or try to do a good number of movie/music projects with it.

Me, personally. I'm the heaviest machine user of my family. I also use it to read music for live performance and rehearsals, right on the music stand. So the retina device is for me, and it's big enough to keep the music very sharp and easily readable. You want both size and retina when dealing with piano music.

I currently have an iPad3, very happy with it. I'm skipping the iPad4 (released that a little too close), but I'll probably pick up the next iPad coming around. I'm not quite in a hurry to jump into the new spec, but I'm hoping that the next version will have enough new features, on top of the previous improved camera and speed, to make me make the jump.

Weight, for me, is already fine with the current selection of iPads. Sure, the mini is nearly 1lb lighter (a fantastic weight), but I'm fine with either. Long extended uses of the iPad I usually have in my lap or on a table. But that's probably me. Anything around 1.5 or less usually worked for me. I don't think I'd go with anything much larger than the current iPad, but I also like that I can get the well-sized immersion by its size due to distance held away. It also makes multi-panel (window) screens on the thing feel bigger and easier to manipulate and manage. Especially since a number of iPad-specific apps have lots of desktop-style functionality due to their multiple panels/overlays/etc. (Charts, analytics, Digital Audio Workstations, etc. Take on a desktop-like view compared to the phone or ipod touches)

Still, one thing about that mini. That unit is one, unlike my iPad, I can find more ways to take that with me at all times since it fits inside a lot more things. I'd certainly choose that over the touch simply because it handles the multi-panel iPad arranged apps, still commands much larger more comfortable hitboxes, and that makes all the difference to me. It's just that the larger hitboxes (software keyboard sizes) are much better on the big one. There's also a bit of a performance bump, and better text entry alignment, for certain key software on the bigger machine for things like Garageband.

Last edited:

iono11200

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
I have the ipad 3 and have been pretty happy with it. No problems other than it getting a little warm. Sold the GF's laptop in November to get a few bucks out of it as we were transitioning to tablets. Looked at the Mini, as most say LOVED the form factor, but for $329 the non-retina display and less impressive spec's under the hood were a deal breaker for me. Reserved a white ipad 4 at the Apple store and brought it home the same day last November. She loves it, uses it each and every day. In my eyes, dolla for dolla only $170.00 more for the ipad 4 was the better buy. Don't misunderstand. I think the Mini is a wonderful groundbreaking device. It's just not quite refined enough for me to purchase one................yet. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.