Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1
exupery
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Using Textedit to create webpages

Don't know if this is the proper forum for this but we recently got a new IMAC with Mountain Lion and I find that I can no longer preview a web page in Safari after I have created it with TextEdit as I formerly could on our old computer (Mac Mini System 10.4) It just comes out looking like it did in TextEdit...just plain type. This is after saving it as an HTML file. Any suggestions?
exupery is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:48 AM   #2
talmy
macrumors 68040
 
talmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oregon
When I click on an HTML file it opens in Safari. I've never tried to edit an HTML file using TextEdit, so I just tried it out -- opened, duplicated, edited the duplicate and saved it. When I click on the new file it opens in Safari with all the HTML tags intact. I can also hit space bar and preview it, then click on "Open with Safari".

Perhaps your TextEdit preferences are set wrong?
__________________
27" i7 iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, Mac mini with Mavericks Server, 5 other Macs and an unused Apple TV.
talmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:37 AM   #3
exupery
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
When I click on an HTML file it opens in Safari. I've never tried to edit an HTML file using TextEdit, so I just tried it out -- opened, duplicated, edited the duplicate and saved it. When I click on the new file it opens in Safari with all the HTML tags intact. I can also hit space bar and preview it, then click on "Open with Safari".

Perhaps your TextEdit preferences are set wrong?
I don't know. Looking at the Preferences just seemed to confuse me even more. Something is just different about this new version, or the new system. For example, I don't see any option to "Save As" in Text Edit now whereas I could in the old version. When you say it "opens in Safari" I am assuming you mean it looks like a Web page, not just a plain text document. Also, if I try to name the file with, ".html" it drops that from the name in the naming box. Another thing that has happened is that once I have tried to open it from Safari it has a lot of other programming appended to the file I created.
exupery is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:01 PM   #4
exupery
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Another attempt

Tried making an html file in the old version of TextEdit and had the same problem. Although I was able to use the "Save As" command which is absent in the new version. Now one has to make a duplicate and rename it which seems more cumbersome. A friend is coming over tomorrow and perhaps I can get some answers. Seem to be getting nowhere today. Appreciate the reply in any case.
exupery is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
talmy
macrumors 68040
 
talmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by exupery View Post
When you say it "opens in Safari" I am assuming you mean it looks like a Web page, not just a plain text document.
Yes.
Quote:
Also, if I try to name the file with, ".html" it drops that from the name in the naming box.
Sounds like you are creating a new file. When you save it the first time, be sure to select File Format: "Web Page (.html)"

Quote:
Another thing that has happened is that once I have tried to open it from Safari it has a lot of other programming appended to the file I created.
That's strange.

BTW -- there is a Save As in Mountain Lion. It's Command-Option-S. And uncheck the box "keep changes in original document" otherwise the original will change as well (since the documents auto-save). I just find it easier to Duplicate the document.
__________________
27" i7 iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, Mac mini with Mavericks Server, 5 other Macs and an unused Apple TV.
talmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:51 AM   #6
exupery
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
Yes.


BTW -- there is a Save As in Mountain Lion. It's Command-Option-S. And uncheck the box "keep changes in original document" otherwise the original will change as well (since the documents auto-save). I just find it easier to Duplicate the document.
That's interesting. Thanks for the info. Yes, with the auto save feature it would be safer to use duplicate.
exupery is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Create Custome Icons for Webpages Saved to Homescreen. Traverse iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Aug 23, 2013 08:23 AM
In need of a TextEdit guru (if TextEdit can help?) Kiwi101 Mac Basics and Help 3 Mar 30, 2013 07:13 PM
Help with saving webpages sirissac2 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Dec 17, 2012 02:27 AM
Blocking Webpages brandonb123 Mac Basics and Help 3 Nov 14, 2012 09:38 AM
Webpages jumping up and down Turboguy Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 1 Aug 10, 2012 08:24 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC