Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Beamer has released its 1.6 beta: http://beamer-app.com/beta

You can stream MKV files (and nearly all other) with surround sound directly to your ATV. No more remuxing, simply drag and drop. You can even drag and drop STR files with subtitles in Beamer.

Only some issues with large MKV files, hope they fix this soon.

Great app!

TomiY1

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
I tried streaming a 15GB mkv file via the local network (from NAS)...no luck! it was buffering the whole time :( (and I have a wireless N/gigabit network at home) I hope they can get this working soon!

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Can this stream a 1080p 8gb mkv file ?

It does any 1080p up till a certain size. I played Skyfall at a 10BG size and it went stuttering. Playing another Sfyfall at about 4GB went without problems.
So yes, they still have issues with large files, but I don't exactly know where the cut-off is. Just have a try with the free demo and see what it can do for you.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
With the 4gb skyfall was there a drop in quality ?

Well I think a 10GB is always supirior to a 4 GB movie, as it simply contains more movie data. The 4BG movie was good, but there was some picture noise which I did not see in the 10GB Skyfall. So, a little drop in quality should be normal I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.