Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
So I was playing a game through bootcamp for about half an hour, and then massive lag kicks in suddenly. In comparison to other games I played a while back, the computer wasn't even that hot at the time but all animation (even windows animation) was shudderingly slow.

I am using the new Mac Mini, with the integrated hd4000. I was playing Saints Row. No big deal if the issue can't be solved, but I was a little taken aback since I've spent hours video editing and rendering and even though the computer gets pretty hot then, I've never experienced slow down like this.

When I booted back into OS X the slowdown was gone, so it might be an issue with bootcamp?

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
So I was playing a game through bootcamp for about half an hour, and then massive lag kicks in suddenly. In comparison to other games I played a while back, the computer wasn't even that hot at the time but all animation (even windows animation) was shudderingly slow.

I am using the new Mac Mini, with the integrated hd4000. I was playing Saints Row. No big deal if the issue can't be solved, but I was a little taken aback since I've spent hours video editing and rendering and even though the computer gets pretty hot then, I've never experienced slow down like this.

When I booted back into OS X the slowdown was gone, so it might be an issue with bootcamp?

It's more likely to be a problem with RAM. How much memory and video memory does your Mac have?

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
It's more likely to be a problem with RAM. How much memory and video memory does your Mac have?

I've got the stock 4gb RAM which hence leads to 512Mb of VRAM (don't quote me on that). I'm going to upgrade to 16Gb soon anyway, do you think that will solve the problem?

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Looks like overheating to me. I noticed there is a difference in how OS X and Windows handle fans. Mountain Lion seems to run fans more efficiently, for some reason.

Anyway, check your Mac Mini for dust and try to clean out as much of it as you can, especially from inside the fan.:)

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
Looks like overheating to me. I noticed there is a difference in how OS X and Windows handle fans. Mountain Lion seems to run fans more efficiently, for some reason.

Anyway, check your Mac Mini for dust and try to clean out as much of it as you can, especially from inside the fan.:)

Do you think I should use some sort of application to manually set the speeds of my fans before I start playing? My mini seems to lack dust inside from what I can see, but then again I suppose I need to remove the fan to check properly.. :)

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Do you think I should use some sort of application to manually set the speeds of my fans before I start playing? My mini seems to lack dust inside from what I can see, but then again I suppose I need to remove the fan to check properly.. :)

You know, for some time I have been wanting to try SpeedFan and see whether it helps performance under Bootcamp.

When I play a more resource intensive game for let's say an hour, then restart the Mac to OS X, the fans kick in much loudly and I guess it's because they simply run on higher speed.

Therefore, you are welcome to test it out and see if that changes anything.:)

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2012
You know, for some time I have been wanting to try SpeedFan and see whether it helps performance under Bootcamp.

When I play a more resource intensive game for let's say an hour, then restart the Mac to OS X, the fans kick in much loudly and I guess it's because they simply run on higher speed.

Therefore, you are welcome to test it out and see if that changes anything.:)

Thanks ill give it a go. It won't damage the computer if I leave the fans on highest rpm for a bit, will it? Should I do 6500rpm or higher?

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Thanks ill give it a go. It won't damage the computer if I leave the fans on highest rpm for a bit, will it? Should I do 6500rpm or higher?

It shouldn't damage the Mac Mini, but it is still recommended to go @ 95% speed, just in case.:)

I could not find maximum speed of the Mac Mini fans, but as for my 2010 Macbook Pro, it's 6000rpm according to Fan Control.

You don't have to set an exact value for the speed, but the temperature at which the fans kick in at full (or 95%) speed, so you can start cooling down your system more and sooner.

There is a nice tutorial for it here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.