Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:18 AM   #1
dthomas31uk
macrumors newbie

Restore applications to my new Macbook

Hi. Recently broke my macbook pro. My mac dealer has saved all applications, data etc on an external hard drive.

Have now purchased a new Macbook and have managed to transfer documents etc, but how do I transfer my applications?

Please help.

Regards

Darren
dthomas31uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:08 AM   #3
1934hotrod
macrumors regular

Not sure Migration Assistant will work from an external HD, as I understand the operation it is for computer too computer, the first step is to boot from a target (meaning old machine) and then migrate from there. Try to drag and drop the app on your new machine, launch it and see if it will work, only try with one to get the feel.

Are these Apple apps or stuff added custom, if custom just reload the software from the source media?

Greg
1934hotrod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1934hotrod View Post
Not sure Migration Assistant will work from an external HD, as I understand the operation it is for computer too computer, the first step is to boot from a target (meaning old machine) and then migrate from there. Try to drag and drop the app on your new machine, launch it and see if it will work, only try with one to get the feel.

Are these Apple apps or stuff added custom, if custom just reload the software from the source media?

Greg
It will work from an external if the external contains either a Time Machine backup or a clone of the disk. Not clear if the OP has that though.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help