Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supak111

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
Yea I dont get it either, shouldn't matter to them what device we use to use up our 3gb of data iphone/ipad same ****

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
They care because if everyone was using data only simcards for their iphones they wouldn't make any money on their call minutes. Which are their cash cows.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I can confirm that this works well on Verizon. Don't even have to mess with apn settings. I chopped an ipad sim down to size, poped it in my iphone5, and it has worked like a charm for 2 months now. Hard to do better than 10$ a month iphone5 data only plan.

As I've said before it works on ATT iPhone 5 just change APN settings. Its just that LTE only works a day or 2, after a few days they kick you down to 4G.

So it seems like the best route to get a data-only iPhone looks like this:
iPhone 5 -> Verizon iPad Mini NanoSIM in a Verizon iPhone 5
iPhone 4/4S -> AT&T iPad MicroSIM in an AT&T iPhone

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
How about getting an iPod touch and a mifi instead of an iPhone?

And how is that equivalent to what the op is trying to do? He wants an iPhone 5 and not an iPod touch. They are different.

----------

They care because if everyone was using data only simcards for their iphones they wouldn't make any money on their call minutes. Which are their cash cows.

Wrong. The cash cow is now data. That's why data prices have gone up with these new plans from att and Verizon.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
This would be an awesome setup for the tech savvy member of a family that has one of those Share Everything plans. The SIM would be added to the plan for $10/month as an iPad and you could use Talkatone or Skype.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I can confirm that this works well on Verizon. Don't even have to mess with apn settings. I chopped an ipad sim down to size, poped it in my iphone5, and it has worked like a charm for 2 months now. Hard to do better than 10$ a month iphone5 data only plan.

Does this data come at a 4G LTE speed?

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
So do we need to activate the Sim on an iPad first prior to using it with the iPhone (ATT)?

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I don't have an iPad but I do have a Nexus 7 activated on both AT&T and T-Mobile.

To get the AT&T sim card to work on my iPhone 4S, i went to unlockit.co.nz on my phone and installed the AT&T APN for broadband. Try that out and see what happens.

supak111

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
You don't need an iPad to sign up. For AT.T you can Sign Up for an iPad plan and activate the SIM at:

---https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/---

You then put that sim in your iphone and download the APN setting.

PS you need to have an IMEI number from any LTE iPad when signing up!! You are tricking at.t into thinking you are using an LTE iPad but you really aren't. Wont let you sign up if you try to use your iPhones IMEI of course. Easy way to get an LTE iPad IMEI is from a display model iPad at apple store.

DO NOT use the IMEI from an older non LTE iPad, if you do at.t will sign you up for a 4g, non LTE plan.

Last edited:

willpower101

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
rritterson said:
Yes, the sim will work if cut and sanded. No, AT&T will not like it and your service will eventually be cut.

I understand AT&T's stand regarding unlimited but why would they care if you have a 3gb data plan for the iPad and use it instead on an iPhone?

They don't care.

ritterson and other fanboys are just making **** up to scare people. You get used to seeing that sort of mentality around grey areas which use exploits that aren't technically illegal, or even against TOS.

After you note that plenty of people, including myself, have been doing this since back BEFORE the unlimited data plan disappeared, you'll realized that it's totally legit.

Most of the time, at&t employees give me the reaction, "Damn, which I could do that.", "Neat!", or some similar prose. The rest just blank stare and say, "uhm, ok."

supak111

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
PS. I just switch to an android phone and using a ipad sim in android gives you LTE all the time, even after you restart the phone. Phone connects to LTE right away, and not to 4g like iPhone 5 does after you restart the iPhone.

I get slightly slower LTE speeds with my HTC One then I did on my iPhone 5 but I'm not sure if that's because I used that hacked iPhone carrier update. Hacked carrier update might have bumped the speeds up. At my house I would get 35mbps download on iPhone 5 hacked carrier update, HTC One usually tops out at 25mbps in the same location in my house around the same time of the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.