Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
The 4S is not substantially more expensive than the 4. Get the 4S. I have a 4 which I use as a backup for my other SIM since I travel internationally a lot. Hate using it. It's laggy compared to my 5 (or 4S) and apps run much slower. If you're looking to use this phone for another 2-3 years, the 4S is a fine choice. Not so sure about the 4.

And I disagree that software updates aren't important. I think they're very important on iPhones because the majority of people upgrade. If an update isn't available to the iPhone 4 in a year or two, you'll be missing out on features that a lot of other people may use. SOCIAL features, in particular. For instance, many of my friends share photostream albums with me. It's an awesome way to share pictures, but it requires iOS 6. People who haven't upgraded simply cannot participate. Now I can't see Apple cutting off OS updates for iPhone 4 until maybe 3 years down the road, but just something to consider.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My wife just sold her 4. It was definitely sluggish when compared to the 4S and 5. I am not talking just apps, I am talking the OS as well. I can't say that she used many processor intensive apps anyway. She is much happier with the 5, but likely would have been happy with the 4S as well. I personally wouldn't recommend the 4 for this reason.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
At this point in time, I'd be a bit worried to buy an iPhone 4. It is over 2 years old and any updates in the OS might not work on it or slow it down. If you can afford it, get at least a 4S.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Now I can't see Apple cutting off OS updates for iPhone 4 until maybe 3 years down the road, but just something to consider.

This is purely specualtion on my part, but I think support for the 3GS will be completely severed when the next iPhone comes out, and the 4 will likely stop being sold (as hardware). Come a year after that, I suspect the 4's support will be severed as well.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
The 4S is not substantially more expensive than the 4. Get the 4S. .

I think your are not realizing that the 4S for him is almost 300 USD more expensive, carriers outside of the USA do not subside phones, so maybe for me or you 300 dollars might be meaningless, for him is clearly means something.

I have a 4 which I use as a backup for my other SIM since I travel internationally a lot. Hate using it. It's laggy compared to my 5 (or 4S) and apps run much slower. If you're looking to use this phone for another 2-3 years, the 4S is a fine choice. Not so sure about the 4.

I think that depends on the user, for the people who just stream music, play a couple of games, go on facebook, and take a couple of pictures. I think the iPhone 4 is a good choice for 2 years, the 3GS is still supported.

I used an iPhone 4 for awhile, I have a 4S ( work ) and a Galaxy S3, I would hardly call the iPhone 4 laggy. Everything I did it was almost instant.

Now I can't see Apple cutting off OS updates for iPhone 4 until maybe 3 years down the road, but just something to consider.

Yes, they'll keep it very well supported until 2-3 years from now when those contracts expire in the US at least, then the 4 users will go buy the 5. It makes sense. They won't drop support until most people stop using it.

----------

This is purely specualtion on my part, but I think support for the 3GS will be completely severed when the next iPhone comes out, and the 4 will likely stop being sold (as hardware). Come a year after that, I suspect the 4's support will be severed as well.

Apple will keep the iPhone 4 support going very strong until 2 years after they stop selling it. Because if they keep the user experience good and most apps supported on the 4, the iPhone 4 users will have a good user experience.

If Apple drops support for the 4 next year, and the 4 is still selling like hotcakes, it would be foolish to drop support for the iPhone 4 next year.

Why? Because if they get a ****** user experience, they'll say " Apple sucks, I'm going to buy another kind of phone ".

So, the 4 will probably stay supported until the 6 comes out.

----------

At this point in time, I'd be a bit worried to buy an iPhone 4. It is over 2 years old and any updates in the OS might not work on it or slow it down. If you can afford it, get at least a 4S.

Apple won't do that, they'll wait until a year or 2 after the iPhone 4 stops being sold. So the 4 users get a good user experience, and keep liking Apple, and then the 4 users upgrade to the 5S or whatever.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
I think your are not realizing that the 4S for him is almost 300 USD more expensive, carriers outside of the USA do not subside phones, so maybe for me or you 300 dollars might be meaningless, for him is clearly means something.

I think that depends on the user, for the people who just stream music, play a couple of games, go on facebook, and take a couple of pictures. I think the iPhone 4 is a good choice for 2 years, the 3GS is still supported.

I used an iPhone 4 for awhile, I have a 4S ( work ) and a Galaxy S3, I would hardly call the iPhone 4 laggy. Everything I did it was almost instant.

Yes, they'll keep it very well supported until 2-3 years from now when those contracts expire in the US at least, then the 4 users will go buy the 5. It makes sense. They won't drop support until most people stop using it.

----------

Apple will keep the iPhone 4 support going very strong until 2 years after they stop selling it. Because if they keep the user experience good and most apps supported on the 4, the iPhone 4 users will have a good user experience.

If Apple drops support for the 4 next year, and the 4 is still selling like hotcakes, it would be foolish to drop support for the iPhone 4 next year.

Why? Because if they get a ****** user experience, they'll say " Apple sucks, I'm going to buy another kind of phone ".

So, the 4 will probably stay supported until the 6 comes out.

----------

Apple won't do that, they'll wait until a year or 2 after the iPhone 4 stops being sold. So the 4 users get a good user experience, and keep liking Apple, and then the 4 users upgrade to the 5S or whatever.

Thanks for the nice reaction!
First off, yes, in my country it's almost $300 more expensive!
That isn't a problem for me, but I was just wondering of the S is worth the $300...
If so, I am happy to pay that, don't get me wrong.

I will use the phone for Whatsapp, music, browsing, some gaming sometimes etc.
No weird things, so maybe that will influence what the best choice is for me.

Thanks for all the help!!! :D
More opinions are still welcome!

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Thanks for the nice reaction!
First off, yes, in my country it's almost $300 more expensive!
!

No problem.

I had a 4 as a work phone, and now a 4S. I don't think the 4S is worth 300USD more.

hat isn't a problem for me, but I was just wondering of the S is worth the $300...
If so, I am happy to pay that, don't get me wrong.

I will use the phone for Whatsapp, music, browsing, some gaming sometimes etc.
No weird things, so maybe that will influence what the best choice is for me.

For what you do, I think the 4 would be the job fine, and save you 300 dollars that can be put towards more important things in life.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Thanks for the reaction again! :)
I am going to look at some deals for a iPhone 4, because you can buy the iPhone at different stores for different prices here.
Not sure if that is the case in the US...

Last edited:

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Are there more people who still use the 4 and are (or aren't) happy with it?

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
4S is definitively still a contender. I have one and I just bought one for my son - I however wouldn't jump from a 4 unless you're gaming or into photography. The sensor is much better (5 vs 8MP, 1080p video vs. 720).

mittencuh

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Colorado Springs
I have an iPhone 4 and 4S and if you can afford it I would recommend the 4S. The 4 isn't bad by any means, but it just isn't as good as the 4S. I wouldn't call the 4 slow, but it does feel slower than the 4S in pretty much every situation. And the 4S camera is a LOT better than the 4 (though the 4's camera is still decent). I don't think you'd suffer with a 4, but at the same time, I think the advantages of the 4S mean it's a relative no-brainer.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
I really appreciate all you comments, but keep in mind that the 4S is about $270 more expensive than the 4 in my country...
I am happy to pay that money, if it's worth it!

So my new question:
Is the 4S worth the $270 more than the 4?

LastOneToKnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
East Coast, USA
Even if I had the money to burn there's no way I'd spend even $150 more to purchase a 4S over a 4. I've owned an iPhone 4 since it came out and it still fits my needs perfectly. I don't long for any of my apps to load any faster than they already do or for a better camera or whatever. I used the 4S for a short time and quite frankly wasn't impressed with it in contrast to the 4 based on how I use the phone. Your results may vary of course. This is all very subjective. Plan to keep my 4 until a 128gb iPhone comes out, so that I can finally put my iPod classic to rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.