Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
... it is related to Apple's Data Detectors feature for automatically recognizing dates, locations and other information in text ...

The bad news: It's serious and it's pervasive. Data Detectors code is widely used in OS X.

The good news: Should be simple to fix and test. Just a tweak to the parser.

The great news: It's terribly obscure. Very few Mac users ever type File://<anything>. Seriously.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Been using Mountain Lion since it was released and I had never hit this. I suppose that typing "File:" followed by "//" is not a common thing for me (at least not in that case -- I would use "file://").

Strange defect though.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Ugh. I just tried to contact an Apple representative about this, and as soon as I described the problem, they hung up on me. This bug goes deep, man.

Oh the irony if you had and they typed File:/// into their fault recording program and it crashed. :D

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I have to agree. I haven't typed that in anything for a very long time. Sure this is a bad bug. But it's not going to hassle the average user. As they simply don't do this.

I'm an average user and I've typed it three times today already. It's fun.

thedoctor

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2006
Oh yes it does ...

Didn't crash my terminal.

cmd-O and then type File:///

boom

----------

cmd-O and then type File:///

Just found that the crash can be stopped by turning off the DataDetectors use in individual applications, e.g. ..

defaults write com.apple.terminal DisableDataDetectors YES

----------

typing file:/// causes it to crash?

here's an idea: don't type file:///

Nope ... don't type ... File:///

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Read about this a few days ago, tried it on an older G5 running Leopard no issues. Just got my new 27" and it crashed TextEdit.

This is a HUGE oversight!

Go Apple :rolleyes:

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
My friend already did that, I had to go find my history and delete it before messages would load again. :D

Deleting this history isn't working... :mad:

I deleted these:
~/Library/Messages
~/Libary/Caches/com.apple.messages
~/Library/Saved Application States/com.apple.ichat

What should I try next? :confused:

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Deleting this history isn't working... :mad:

I deleted these:
~/Library/Messages
~/Libary/Caches/com.apple.messages
~/Library/Saved Application States/com.apple.ichat

What should I try next? :confused:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.ichat, com.apple.imessage.bag

And reboot after you empty the trash.

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.ichat, com.apple.imessage.bag

And reboot after you empty the trash.

Looks like that worked. Thanks! I didn't really want to make the person delete their prefs so that was my last resort.

----------

Re-booting in itself fixes it until you do it again.

This bug is in the root of the kernel. Syntax..

For some reason deleting all those other things and rebooting didn't help on my friend's comp. Messages still crashed.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Wow, it do crashes Mail.app, the important thing is that the string is case sensitive

Launch Mail.app, compose new email, click on the body, type that string which is listed above (can't type it here :) )

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Looks like that worked. Thanks! I didn't really want to make the person delete their prefs so that was my last resort.

----------

For some reason deleting all those other things and rebooting didn't help on my friend's comp. Messages still crashed.

If you have iCloud synching go to either the iPad or the iPhone and delete the message with the error. Then it should propagate to the Mac and the message with the error will be gone.

ndmx52

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
G-Rap, Mi
Is it just typing the 'file: ///' that is really causing this? I've had finder, Mail, and Safari cash like crazy on 10.8.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.