Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 1, 2012, 08:59 AM   #126
csHokie
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadiek View Post
As posted by a few other users, I went to update and I already had the 13.1 update. Hmm....
FWIW, when I went to the about page I tried to scroll down before I did the update to see the old version number but the dialog popped up, and before I hit OK I saw the version change (just saw it change to 13.1... didn't have time to see what the actual number was before). So it looks like it did what it needed to do before I hit OK and probably just needed a restart to tidy things up.
csHokie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:02 AM   #127
Beezzy
macrumors 6502

Ok well what about the people who's data been going thru the roof because of this? I was wondering how I used over 4GB in a week when most of the time Im on wifi.
Beezzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:25 AM   #128
csHokie
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Why is the procedure so complicated? Apple products are supposed to be easy to use!

And why does the dialog box use different terminology from the text to refer to the button? This is sloppy ********.
What do you mean complicated? It's just turn off and then turn on your phone. Sure, the wording could be more succinct but they are making sure users turn the device off completely instead of locking/sleeping it. You'd be surprised how often people do the wrong thing unless you spell it out for them. Anybody that has ever had to write instructions for a group of people or taken a technical writing class can probably attest to that.
csHokie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:31 AM   #129
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelley View Post
The only thing I can think of is that this is an issue with the "Wifi + Cellular" feature that was in the iOS 6 betas that was pulled before GM release.

I know nothing about the bug itself, this is just some idea I have hypothesized.

Basically, if you were connected to WiFi but your Cellular connection was (harder/)better/faster/stronger (unsure of which, cannot remember) it would use that instead. Now, for all the people in LTE areas, I can bet that the connection was faster on Cellular LTE than most people's home internet plans (for those affected) and it went to that, using Cell data instead of WiFi. My guess is that this was enabled or left as an enabled feature and pulled from the iOS Settings, until it could be refined.

Again, just a guess.
or simply a bug that was not caught during testing, it happens.
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:26 AM   #130
evildead
macrumors 65816

At&t

I ate up my data plan in 3 days with AT&T. I assumed it was the Apple podcast app. It seemed to be downloading podcasts even after I turned off 3G downloads and subscriptions. Maybe it was iOS6

Last edited by evildead; Oct 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: added more
evildead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:30 AM   #131
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

I haven't had problems on AT&T, but I'm not in an LTE area is it a problem restricted to those with LTE service? I suppose that would make sense why it wasn't caught in the beta then.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:42 AM   #132
lilo777
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roessnakhan View Post
I haven't had problems on AT&T, but I'm not in an LTE area is it a problem restricted to those with LTE service? I suppose that would make sense why it wasn't caught in the beta then.
No it would not make sense anyways. Are you suggesting that Apple did not test iPhone with LTE?
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:53 AM   #133
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
No it would not make sense anyways. Are you suggesting that Apple did not test iPhone with LTE?
It was really just a question, as I wasn't sure. But Apple has been pretty guilty of (seemingly) not testing their products fully, otherwise things like the antenna problems in the iPhone 4 could have been avoided.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:43 AM   #134
prosty41
macrumors member

I can't get the update to pop up??
prosty41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:10 PM   #135
kingsrule5
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roessnakhan View Post
Do you have icloud backup on?
kingsrule5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:16 PM   #136
chazcron
macrumors member

My understanding of this is that Verizon is only patching it for iP5's, even though it appears to be an issue for anyone on IOS 6.
chazcron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:31 PM   #137
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsrule5 View Post
Do you have icloud backup on?
Yes
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:34 PM   #138
NM08SRT8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStupid View Post
Why is the procedure so complicated? Apple products are supposed to be easy to use!

And why does the dialog box use different terminology from the text to refer to the button? This is sloppy ********.
It's not hard at all.
NM08SRT8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 03:16 PM   #139
ulis6
macrumors newbie

The same happen in Portugal on my own two iPhone 3g under TMN operator... As soon as I realized TMN was charging me .... I asked them to refund me... Answer came after 24 hours... 17 + 7.
ulis6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 03:21 PM   #140
softeky
macrumors newbie

AirPlay question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjancef View Post

...snip...

EDIT: Would you all think data usage includes AirPlay? I made the mistake of showing my son how to send video to my AppleTV, so he's been doing that for the past few days.
I believe Airplay only works within your intranet (local subnet). If so, your cell carrier will never see this traffic as your phone, on LTE, will not be able to gate data through your home router. WiFi Airplay works because your router provides a local (intranet) IP address to your phone.
softeky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 04:47 PM   #141
GS17
macrumors member

I think there's a problem with the AT&T phone too, my iPhone 5 seems to hang a lot on wifi, areas in my house where I never had connection issues with my time capsule and iPhone 4 now just hangs in there and either keep trying to get data or switches to LTE
GS17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 05:45 PM   #142
HauntSlider
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS17 View Post
I think there's a problem with the AT&T phone too, my iPhone 5 seems to hang a lot on wifi, areas in my house where I never had connection issues with my time capsule and iPhone 4 now just hangs in there and either keep trying to get data or switches to LTE
I agree.. I'm sitting less than 3 feet from my wifi router (in the same place it's been for the past 2 years with my iPhone 4) and having the same issue.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 06:21 PM   #143
qckslvrsiete
macrumors regular

I know someone asked this jokingly earlier, but has anyone yet been able to accept the carrier update AND confirmed the phone is still carrier unlocked?
qckslvrsiete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:17 PM   #144
matthiasgoodman
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to matthiasgoodman
Well, it looks like I was wrong. Just wanted to admit that and prove to my wife that I can admit when I am wrong. :-)
matthiasgoodman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 02:41 AM   #145
eeguh
macrumors member

I'm wondering for Verizon users, has this update fixed the data leak issue?

It sounds like it's more of Apple/iOS problem so I'm wondering what Verizon has done if it did fix it.

Thanks.
eeguh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 07:34 AM   #146
Imac Sam
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeguh View Post
I'm wondering for Verizon users, has this update fixed the data leak issue?

It sounds like it's more of Apple/iOS problem so I'm wondering what Verizon has done if it did fix it.

Thanks.
Fixed it for my 3 Iphone 5s.
Imac Sam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:39 AM   #147
eeguh
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac Sam View Post
Fixed it for my 3 Iphone 5s.
Thanks. Good to know.
eeguh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:40 AM   #148
markdizzle
macrumors newbie

Verizon is very unethical in there practices

I'm surprised that everyone is just taking the "oh well crap happens" attitude about this. In case you guys don't know Verizon was already caught fraudulently over charging there customers at least once. They pay there petty fine and move on. I have them again now regrettably because they are my only choice for good coverage in my area and they have already tried the over charge trick on me again. My point in all this is that the data usage was probably another Verizon tactic to get more money out of their customers. Don't take my word for it look it up. People have waaaay too much trust in there corporations these days and Verizon is not one to be trusted. ; )
markdizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion