Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Squilly
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
What is Jailbreaking?

Sorry, I'm a Jailbreaking noob. I know the general idea behind a JB but you download themes and stuff from Cydia? Or can you make purchases from the Apple App Store freely? Can someone explain?
__________________
iPhone 5s 16gb Space Gray Sprint
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Carl G35c
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Sorry, I'm a Jailbreaking noob. I know the general idea behind a JB but you download themes and stuff from Cydia? Or can you make purchases from the Apple App Store freely? Can someone explain?
you are installing themes/tweaks/apps that are not allowed by apple.
__________________
2011 21.5 i7 iMac, Dell A90 SL10.6, iPhone 3G White, iPhone 4, iPad x2, bunch of iPods
Carl G35c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:30 AM   #3
hgrimberg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
When Cydia ask you if you are a User, a hacker or a developer, what is better to select in order to have all the goodies from it?
hgrimberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Zac7
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Sorry, I'm a Jailbreaking noob. I know the general idea behind a JB but you download themes and stuff from Cydia? Or can you make purchases from the Apple App Store freely? Can someone explain?
Really? Already? Google please...
Zac7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:34 AM   #5
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrimberg View Post
When Cydia ask you if you are a User, a hacker or a developer, what is better to select in order to have all the goodies from it?
If your asking this question choose USER...
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:41 AM   #6
hgrimberg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
If your asking this question choose USER...
haha, funny. Well, most lilkely most of us are not hackers or devs, but, would you choose Developer in order to get all the content from Cydia?
hgrimberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:00 PM   #7
JamilaLei
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I will be a first time jailbreaker today as well. I'm a bit nervous but I'm excited as well. I've had my iPhone for about 4 months and I love it but the restrictions that apple has placed on their devices.

Anyway my question is this: do I need to restore as new device before I jb? I had previously update OTA, but having read that updating via iTunes was best, I updated again that way. Is restoring and setting as new device overkill? I know that having a freshly wiped device makes the process smoother, so does that mean I could just backup then erase all content and settings on my phone?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
JamilaLei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:09 PM   #8
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrimberg View Post
haha, funny. Well, most lilkely most of us are not hackers or devs, but, would you choose Developer in order to get all the content from Cydia?
Yes. You get all the tweaks and other contents.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:23 PM   #9
hgrimberg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Ok, then I am a dev now. BTW, what is a good replacement for Installous?
hgrimberg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:25 PM   #10
plaxico44
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrimberg View Post
Ok, then I am a dev now. BTW, what is a good replacement for Installous?
Credit card.
plaxico44 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:25 PM   #11
nwmtnbiker
macrumors 65816
 
nwmtnbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fidalgo Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaxico44 View Post
Credit card.
Lol
__________________
If you keep shoving things into your jack hole, it could cause bleeding.
nwmtnbiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:30 PM   #12
jj47
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrimberg View Post
Ok, then I am a dev now. BTW, what is a good replacement for Installous?
Stupid question after stupid question and now you want to pirate apps.

Leave this forum and don't come back.
jj47 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrimberg View Post
haha, funny. Well, most lilkely most of us are not hackers or devs, but, would you choose Developer in order to get all the content from Cydia?
its the same, just that for example if you were to download a tweak, in the user mode you will see only the tweak in your list of installed stuff, but if you go hacker or dev then you will see the tweak PLUS all the other addons needed for the tweak and you might delete them because you though they got there by mistake. In the maage section you can change the view back/forth to either one of the three if you feel the need to check .
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:39 PM   #14
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040
 
bandofbrothers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaxico44 View Post
Credit card.

Ha ha awesome reply.

Made my day dude !!
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:03 PM   #15
clockworkorange
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamilaLei View Post
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I will be a first time jailbreaker today as well. I'm a bit nervous but I'm excited as well. I've had my iPhone for about 4 months and I love it but the restrictions that apple has placed on their devices.

Anyway my question is this: do I need to restore as new device before I jb? I had previously update OTA, but having read that updating via iTunes was best, I updated again that way. Is restoring and setting as new device overkill? I know that having a freshly wiped device makes the process smoother, so does that mean I could just backup then erase all content and settings on my phone?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
Hey there newbie!

It is recommended you do a full restore, the evasi0n team let us know to upgrade directly rather than OTA (http://cdn.ihackintosh.com/wp-conten...-Jailbreak.png)

you can download the ios firmware here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Once you're done with the restore, download the evasi0n jailbreak app for your system (Windows, Mac, Linux) and be set free.
__________________
-Mid-2013 13" Macbook Air, 1.3GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 126GB SSD, 10.9.1 Mavericks
-Original 15" Macbook Pro, 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD
-Mid-2010 21.5" iMac, 2.3GHz i3, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD
clockworkorange is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:42 PM   #16
JamilaLei
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Thanks so much for the response! It just finished restoring and I downloaded the evasi0n tool from a mirror link. I'm about to begin. Wish me luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkorange View Post
Hey there newbie!

It is recommended you do a full restore, the evasi0n team let us know to upgrade directly rather than OTA (http://cdn.ihackintosh.com/wp-conten...-Jailbreak.png)

you can download the ios firmware here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Once you're done with the restore, download the evasi0n jailbreak app for your system (Windows, Mac, Linux) and be set free.
JamilaLei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:37 PM   #17
hgrimberg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Is it true that having the iphone jailbroken makes the phone eat more battery?
hgrimberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:23 PM   #18
clockworkorange
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrimberg View Post
Is it true that having the iphone jailbroken makes the phone eat more battery?
It is slightly true, while most apps/tweaks on here won't drain your battery more than usual there may occasionally be a few unforeseen bugs that can cause battery issues. They are very uncommon, but its just something to keep in mind.
__________________
-Mid-2013 13" Macbook Air, 1.3GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 126GB SSD, 10.9.1 Mavericks
-Original 15" Macbook Pro, 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD
-Mid-2010 21.5" iMac, 2.3GHz i3, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD
clockworkorange is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:38 AM   #19
hgrimberg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
So you are saying that jailbreaking per se is not the cause of a faster battery drain, but the tweaks and apps you can eventualy get on cydia are?
And what about 3g or wifi connectivity, it can become more unstable due to jailbraking in general or just because of some apps and tweaks from cydia?
hgrimberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jailbreaking meddyliol iPhone 4 Jul 14, 2013 07:35 PM
iPhone: 6.0.2 => 6.1 Before jailbreaking? misterjay Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 3 Feb 4, 2013 12:53 PM
Is jailbreaking the only way? SilentLoner iPhone 5 Oct 4, 2012 12:40 AM
iPhone: Jailbreaking 5.1.1 ideal.dreams Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 Jul 15, 2012 01:08 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps