Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:48 PM   #126
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Yes...Doctors and Lawyers.
Graphic designers?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:15 PM   #127
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
You don't get the concept of average do you?
Man how have I been making it through engineering school and into my first paid internship and not even know what an average is?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Graphic designers?
Actually, probably. They have a ton of different flyers and advertisements they use. You could definitely find a job (assuming everything matches and whatnot) if they are looking for people.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:19 PM   #128
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Actually, probably. They have a ton of different flyers and advertisements they use. You could definitely find a job (assuming everything matches and whatnot) if they are looking for people.
You mean assuming that I were looking for them.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:20 PM   #129
eric/

Quote:
You mean assuming that I were looking for them.
I'm just saying, you could find a job, keep in mind you would end up being a contractor
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:23 PM   #130
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
I'm just saying, you could find a job, keep in mind you would end up being a contractor
Got a job.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:26 PM   #131
eric/

Quote:
Got a job.
not you specifically
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:30 PM   #132
FrankieTDouglas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
Some carry at home all the time. Guys I know that live in more suburban areas do this.

I live in a rural area, so don't feel the need to carry at home all the time, but I am never more than 5 seconds away from a loaded firearm.
First off, of course you live in a rural area. These types of places seem to be swarming with gun fanatics who live in fear every day of an imaginary boogeyman.

Second, you keep loaded firearms just sitting around? THAT is the actually frightening part of this whole thing.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:46 PM   #133
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I'd like to know how a person can be labeled an "insurgent" in their own country.
A common misconception, encouraged by the Iraq war media and the Pentagon PR machine: "insurgent" was the word chosen to describe the armed opposition, because it made them sound as if they were "surging in" from outside, whereas it simply means "rising up". Sounds more evil than "the Iraqi Resistance".
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:52 PM   #134
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
A common misconception, encouraged by the Iraq war media and the Pentagon PR machine: "insurgent" was the word chosen to describe the armed opposition, because it made them sound as if they were "surging in" from outside, whereas it simply means "rising up". Sounds more evil than "the Iraqi Resistance".
They had to do that to make it seem like Al-qaeda was the ones behind the resistance in Iraq to make the whole war seem like a legitimate part of the war on terror and not just a war for oil and making haliburton money.
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:59 PM   #135
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieTDouglas View Post

Second, you keep loaded firearms just sitting around?
well, they are not very useful unloaded now are they?
glocke12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:53 PM   #136
FrankieTDouglas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
well, they are not very useful unloaded now are they?
An unloaded gun has never accidentally fired and killed someone.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:42 PM   #137
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
They had to do that to make it seem like Al-qaeda was the ones behind the resistance in Iraq to make the whole war seem like a legitimate part of the war on terror and not just a war for oil and making haliburton money.
Odd. Lots of dead Iraqi Army after the big offensive in Kirkuk. Guess they were fighting phantom insurgents.

Also, strange because I recall conflicts with Ba'athists Loyalists, Mahdi Army, and followers of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi; last I checked, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was an Al-Qaeda affiliate right up until he got some justice by way of F16.

Then there was the issue of having to break up conflicts between foreign fighters and and Shiite Iraqi nationalist...guess there was no insurgency there either.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."

Last edited by Technarchy; Feb 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:30 PM   #138
anonymouslurker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
If I knew it was a fact I would link to an article stating so.

Now can you link to a fact that there are more vietnam vets who commit murder than there are iraq vets ?

Also I was speaking about morality. Something you exemplified with your earlier statement.
Just an interesting read...

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/vsfp04.pdf

The latest numbers from the Bureau of Justice are unfortunately from 2004, with the next study set to happen this year.

I did not see anything specifically calling out homicide as broken down by period of service, but there were incarceration numbers just based on period of service.

Again, this is from 2004, while the "Iraq-Afghanistan Era" has obviously continued since then, so common sense says those numbers would continue to grow.

However, at the time of the report (2004), The second paragraph of the report states:

Quote:
Vietnam War-era veterans were the most common wartime veterans in both State (36%) and Federal (39%) prison. Veterans of the Iraq-Afghanistan eras comprised 4% of veterans in both State and Federal prison.
All I could find related to the topic.
anonymouslurker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:29 AM   #139
stylinexpat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
Yet they say Americans don't do irony.
Karma catches up with everyone my friend. He was well known for this quote "When I do go face God there is going to be lots of things I will have to account for but killing any of those people is not one of them." When someone kills another person God will hold them accountable for it.
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID
stylinexpat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:40 AM   #140
stylinexpat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
you need to read his book. he had specific ROE's he had to follow. The main one was that anyone he shot had to be posing a clear threat to US service members. This means he was only allowed to shoot people who were armed and either were, or looked like they were going to engage soldiers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#axzz2Js4Vh0rV
He was basically sent on a killing mission. He entered Iraq illegally just like all the other forces that invaded Iraq. Allowed to shoot by whom? Did the Iraqi people grant him a Visa to come over to shoot to kill? To the best of my knowledge the Iraq invasion was illegal to begin with. There was no unanimous UN vote in favor of US forces invading Iraq. China and Russia were against the invasion. Many in Syria are dying now and no one is doing anything about it because China and Russia Veto any ground invasion or any foreign forces invading Syria. This was the case with Iraq as well. Why invade Iraq and not Syria. What Bashar has done to his people is nothing compared to what Saddam did.
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID
stylinexpat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:04 AM   #141
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
An unloaded weapon is a crappy club. No thanks
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:42 AM   #142
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
My loaded guns have never accidentally fired. Ever.

I'm pretty confident they never will, either.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:56 AM   #143
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWizrd View Post
My loaded guns have never accidentally fired. Ever.

I'm pretty confident they never will, either.
I'm sure that's what everyone with a dead spouse or kid thought...
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:12 AM   #144
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
I'm sure that's what everyone with a dead spouse or kid thought...
Well, my spouse died in 1996 of breast cancer, and my kids are grown and long out of the house (although there were loaded firearms in the house while they were growing up), so that issue doesn't exist.

More importantly, it's all in the education and training, as well as some common sense.

Rule #1 in firearms handling... A gun is always loaded. You never, ever, point a gun indiscriminantly because it's "unloaded".

Another important rule down the food chain... you never insert your finger inside the trigger guard unless you are going to fire the weapon.

It's unfortunate that there are stupid people and/or careless people and/or simply morons in this world. It's much more unfortunate that some in one or more of these categories owns or has access to firearms.

But, stop painting with such a broad brush. For every stupid, careless imbecile with a firearm, there are probably ten thousand totally responsible, thoughtful and careful firearms owners.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:35 AM   #145
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
But, stop painting with such a broad brush. For every stupid, careless imbecile with a firearm, there are probably ten thousand totally responsible, thoughtful and careful firearms owners.
With the ridiculous stupidity and ignorance that runs rampant in this country it's probably the other way around.
zioxide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:48 AM   #146
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
(although there were loaded firearms in the house while they were growing up),
Sounds like you're a responsible gun owner .
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:06 PM   #147
anonymouslurker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Sounds like you're a responsible gun owner .
Well, as one of those children, I can safely say that he was indeed responsible.

We could not access the firearms, nor did we try.

You know why? Because our responsible gun owner of a father taught us gun safety and responsibility. No issues whatsoever.

Why is it so hard for people realize that accepting personal responsibility is possible??
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:20 PM   #148
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslurker View Post
Why is it so hard for people realize that accepting personal responsibility is possible??
Because there are too many stupid people in this country who don't understand the concept.

If their stupidity and lack of personal responsibility only affects themselves on a particular issue then I don't care what they do. But when it comes to things like guns, where misuse or stupidity won't just affect the owner but plenty of other people too, then that's where there is a problem.
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:34 PM   #149
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslurker View Post
You know why? Because our responsible gun owner of a father taught us gun safety and responsibility. No issues whatsoever.
So did your school friends do a gun safety course before coming round? Or were the guns locked away then?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:37 PM   #150
anonymouslurker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
So did your school friends do a gun safety course before coming round? Or were the guns locked away then?
As I said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslurker
We could not access the firearms, nor did we try.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues