Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I had the same problem with iMessage when I switched over. As mentioned, make sure your phone number is unckecked/removed from ALL Apple devices (my Mac was the final culprit causing problems--Daveathall's post is spot on for fixing that).

Also, switching over at AT&T was unnecessary--could've just moves the SIM card over. I did that with my iPhone 5 using an adapter and just had to manually update the APN settings and was all set. Did the same thing again with my Note 2.

Best of luck with the Nexus, definitely a great looking phone.

Thanks. I'm talking to my friend right now and she's saying that my number isn't showing up as iMessage compatible anymore, so it looks like it just took a really long time to update in the iCloud servers.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Thanks for all of the suggestions, fellas. But I managed to add it with my existing hd widgets app. Got my perfect home screen now!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-02-18-28-52.png
    Screenshot_2013-02-02-18-28-52.png
    348.3 KB · Views: 76

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Turned on CNN a little bit ago and they did a story on using your mobile phone to make payments at the store, ie: Google Wallet, Square, etc. They said that "these features are only available on Verizon/Sprint phones and the Nexus 7 tablet." Apparently they missed a phone.

Either way, even before I bought my Nexus 4, I've been staking out stores that actually have Google Wallet terminals, and I have yet to find one. Have any of you been able to use it?

CNN brought up how much of a potential security risk having something like Google Wallet could be if your phone were to get stolen. I guess they have never heard of someone's purse or wallet getting picked. At least your phone is Password/PIN protected.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Turned on CNN a little bit ago and they did a story on using your mobile phone to make payments at the store, ie: Google Wallet, Square, etc. They said that "these features are only available on Verizon/Sprint phones and the Nexus 7 tablet." Apparently they missed a phone.

Either way, even before I bought my Nexus 4, I've been staking out stores that actually have Google Wallet terminals, and I have yet to find one. Have any of you been able to use it?

CNN brought up how much of a potential security risk having something like Google Wallet could be if your phone were to get stolen. I guess they have never heard of someone's purse or wallet getting picked. At least your phone is Password/PIN protected.

CNN clearly doesn't know what they are talking about (surprise? ;) ). Google Wallet seems to be very secure. If someone were to steal my Nexus 4, they would need to know my PIN for Google Wallet and my PIN to get into the phone (since using Google Wallet requires your phone be on and out of the lock screen). If someone were to steal my wallet, they could just use my credit card right away. One clearly seems more secure than the other. Plus, if you lose your phone, you can easily log onto any computer right away and disable your entire wallet within seconds. Granted, canceling credit cards are fairly easy, but signing into Google Wallet and clicking a few times seems pretty easy to me.

And because they brought up stores, since 99% of stores take credit cards and a MUCH lower percentage take NFC, it would be much harder for someone to use your phone to pay for something than a credit card.

As for stores, every CVS takes it here in Texas. At least every one I have been to.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
CNN clearly doesn't know what they are talking about (surprise? ;) ). Google Wallet seems to be very secure. If someone were to steal my Nexus 4, they would need to know my PIN for Google Wallet and my PIN to get into the phone (since using Google Wallet requires your phone be on and out of the lock screen). If someone were to steal my wallet, they could just use my credit card right away. One clearly seems more secure than the other. Plus, if you lose your phone, you can easily log onto any computer right away and disable your entire wallet within seconds. Granted, canceling credit cards are fairly easy, but signing into Google Wallet and clicking a few times seems pretty easy to me.

And because they brought up stores, since 99% of stores take credit cards and a MUCH lower percentage take NFC, it would be much harder for someone to use your phone to pay for something than a credit card.

As for stores, every CVS takes it here in Texas. At least every one I have been to.

Oh I completely agree with you, I like the idea of Google Wallet.

On the topic of security, are there any apps for Android that are similar to "Find my iPhone" that are safe and reliable?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Oh I completely agree with you, I like the idea of Google Wallet.

On the topic of security, are there any apps for Android that are similar to "Find my iPhone" that are safe and reliable?

I'll let onthecouchagain correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I saw him mention Cerberus in another thread. I've never used it but it gets rave reviews in the Play Store, think I'm going to give it a try as well.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

I guess it depends on where you live. I use it in a number of places here. A few days ago, I used at the CHOA Urgent Care office to buy a soda. Before that, I used it to pay for my son's prescription at Rite-Aid. When I bought shoes for my son and I, I paid with my phone (Footlocker). I've used it at Best Buy and Dairy Queen many a time. These are just a few places I can think of off the top of my head.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I'll let onthecouchagain correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I saw him mention Cerberus in another thread. I've never used it but it gets rave reviews in the Play Store, think I'm going to give it a try as well.

I guess it depends on where you live. I use it in a number of places here. A few days ago, I used at the CHOA Urgent Care office to buy a soda. Before that, I used it to pay for my son's prescription at Rite-Aid. When I bought shoes for my son and I, I paid with my phone (Footlocker). I've used it at Best Buy and Dairy Queen many a time. These are just a few places I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info guys!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I like the sound of that. Will it get pushed like a normal update? How will we get a newer version of 4.2.1? How does that work?

It'll likely be an OTA (over the air) update. No time frame of when it's coming though, but it couldn't be soon enough.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Did you all know that you could scroll the bottom list left and right to get more options in your Google Now searches? I did not know that! :eek: The "Phone" option at the end is particularly useful.

Look at the bottom gray bar-list:

spjvBNp.png

BeONF3I.png

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It'll likely be an OTA (over the air) update. No time frame of when it's coming though, but it couldn't be soon enough.

JuiceDefender has helped my battery life, but its been pretty atrocious overall (at least compared with my iPhone 5)

Yesterday my N4 was at 40% and had been on for 13h (only 41m screen time) versus my iP5 which was at 80% which had also been on for 13h but had almost 2hr of screen time....

Hoping it is just a software bug and that an update fixes it somewhat....I'm not a heavy user and just like my phone to make it through the day with about 3-4 hours of use time.

Otherwise, I'm liking the phone! Still working out all the features I suppose.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
JuiceDefender has helped my battery life, but its been pretty atrocious overall (at least compared with my iPhone 5)

Yesterday my N4 was at 40% and had been on for 13h (only 41m screen time) versus my iP5 which was at 80% which had also been on for 13h but had almost 2hr of screen time....

Hoping it is just a software bug and that an update fixes it somewhat....I'm not a heavy user and just like my phone to make it through the day with about 3-4 hours of use time.

Otherwise, I'm liking the phone! Still working out all the features I suppose.

Glad you're enjoying it. Battery life is definitely a sore spot no matter how anyone else on this board spins it.

In exchange for LTE, we were promised exceptional battery life. And why not? It's not running LTE. Alas, it does not delivery. Not even close.

Really looking forward to the update. If it can fix the battery issue, it'll be great.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Glad you're enjoying it. Battery life is definitely a sore spot no matter how anyone else on this board spins it.

In exchange for LTE, we were promised exceptional battery life. And why not? It's not running LTE. Alas, it does not delivery. Not even close.

Really looking forward to the update. If it can fix the battery issue, it'll be great.

That is 90% of the reason I had it less than a week. I was scrambling for a charger by noon every day!

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
That is 90% of the reason I had it less than a week. I was scrambling for a charger by noon every day!

Get the Note 2, install CM10.1 males it a Nexus-5.5" :)

CM10.1 on my Note 2 is giving me 6h on screen time. On a busy workday using the phone a lot I can get around 14 hours no problem, with heavy use. On a light weekend with WiFi use around the house, the phone easily goes 24 hours +some times can get 36 hours total on the weekend. Again this is running CM10.1 ROM's.

With Touchwiz ROM's, they will give a good 25% better battery life than CM10.1. A good Touchwiz ROM can easily last a full busy workday, using the phone all the time.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I had my phone off all day yesterday, didn't turn it on until the Super Bowl started. With my constant texting and Twitter use, by the end of the game my battery was at 30%. My screen isn't bright at all, its set pretty low. The fact that I lost 70% of the battery in just a couple hours is sad.

I really like this phone, but the battery is pretty brutal. I've been thinking about getting a Mophie Juice pack thing to help.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
My situation wasn't that bad, but I guess you use your phone far more heavily than I do.

I definitely use my phone a lot during the day. I know an iphone measures usage different than android, but to give you an idea.....I am at 6 hours, 39 minutes standby and 3 hours 2 minutes usage. I still have 78% battery....with the n4 using it the same amount i would be around 20% battery right now.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I definitely use my phone a lot during the day. I know an iphone measures usage different than android, but to give you an idea.....I am at 6 hours, 39 minutes standby and 3 hours 2 minutes usage. I still have 78% battery....with the n4 using it the same amount i would be around 20% battery right now.

No doubt a better suited phone for your needs.

Honestly, even with the next Google update, I don't foresee the Nexus 4 getting that much better battery life. It'll probably fix the battery issue marginally. I sincerely hope I am wrong, though.

My sights are still on the S4 unveiling and Xperia Z reviews.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No doubt a better suited phone for your needs.

Honestly, even with the next Google update, I don't foresee the Nexus 4 getting that much better battery life. It'll probably fix the battery issue marginally. I sincerely hope I am wrong, though.

My sights are still on the S4 unveiling and Xperia Z reviews.

likewise. I think I am going to wait until IOS 7, and then make my decision

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I found that charging my Nexus 4 and then letting it run down nearly to empty and only then re charging seemed to extend the life. I am not a power user so don't really text or whatever for a long time but find that I can normally get a couple of days out of my N4 (only about 2 hours screen on time though)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I found that charging my Nexus 4 and then letting it run down nearly to empty and only then re charging seemed to extend the life. I am not a power user so don't really text or whatever for a long time but find that I can normally get a couple of days out of my N4 (only about 2 hours screen on time though)

My understanding is that doing that to modern batteries these days is bad for its health?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.