Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
So you just like voiding your warranty (it does, even if you lie about it and tell Apple you never did), and violating your contract with AT&T (and basically laughing at all of the people who pay the legitimate tethering fee by stealing it yourself instead)?

I'd say just get some free apps and be cool with it! Sounds like you're ok with everything else (even if you rationalize it)....

:apple:

I have a 6GB data plan from Rogers and they don't charge me to Tether.
It's ridiculous to charge people to user data they already paid for.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Being at work right now is torture. I'll be home in 5 hours but each passing minute it gets harder and harder, need to get home to JB :D Maybe by then Cydia would be so pressed.

With cydia slammed - doesnt really matter you cant jb yet. :(

taylob

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
Chicago, IL
The only reason why I need to jailbreak is because Apple's SMS DB saved all my old SMS messages. Even ones which I deleted from the SMS app. Due to this I have 6.6GB of "other" space being taken up because of old videos I texted but Apple won't delete it. Jailbreaking allows me to "fix" what Apple should have done automatically.

Yea, I'm having this issue as well. How are you going about fixing it? I have no space on my iphone :(

wellok

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Yeah, I'm jailbroken but without Cydia functioning I just have a brown icon to show for it. Understandable and to be expected, though.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
I dont think this is correct!

I updated OTA and not from itunes and have jailbroken my device new problem (ipad 3 GSM) and iPhone 4s

What was being said is that the method used for OTA updates creates verification info that is useless to preform a restore to if you update your iPhone and wish to go back. That to get usable SHSH blobs and such, you need to upgrade/restore to 6.1 via iTunes.

The jailbreak itself has no care how you got to your current version.

I don't like voiding my warranty, but I'm willing to for the improved functionality.
But you're right that I'll rationalize not paying AT&T an extra $20 per month for something that I already pay $100 per month. I pay for my data connection on my iPhone. Being able to use that data connection to DL email on my iPad via a tether is A-ok by me.
You're wrong in your rude assumption that I laugh at anyone about it.

You wont void your warranty if you do a simple restore, Your right about the crazy at&t policies, you have already paid for the data why should they care how you use it?? adding function is not stealing.
Depends. Do you have unlimited data, or tiered data? I'll agree that AT&T shouldn't charge extra for tiered data, but Unlimited Data was was with the understanding you would NOT tether your connection.

th3xf4ctor

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Windows 7 sucks

Tried getting this to work with Windows 7 64 bit running as admin as well as running in compatiblity mode and I still get the popup you must run this app as an adminstrator....any recommendations?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
For those that don't know how to read the README file

- Please disable the lock passcode of your iOS device before using evasi0n. It can cause issues.

- If the process gets stuck somewhere, it's safe to restart the program, reboot the device (if necessary by holding down Power and Home until it shuts down), and rerun the process.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Being at work right now is torture. I'll be home in 5 hours but each passing minute it gets harder and harder, need to get home to JB :D Maybe by then Cydia would be so pressed.

Ditto. Except I have errands and appointments after work. So, more like 10 hours. Patience is hard.

ellediphone5

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Downloading, can't wait to get BiteSMS again :)

i can't install anything from Cydia, I can't even manage my account (for the things I purchased bitesms, rotator, 4g restrictor, iblacklist and who knows what else.) I need my sbs settins and i need fake carrier, and to change my font ughhh i waited so long for NOTHING?!?!

any sources needed?

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
You're the one missing the point, but I also see your point. As someone not interested in jailbreaking my devices, I also don't feel restricted in any way by iOS. There isn't anything that I need that I can't already get legitimately.

I don't think I am missing any point. I actually don't feel the need to jailbreak either. I may just on my iPad because I like technology and playing with newer and better software. But on my iPhone I probably won't. But from a jail breaking perspective I can easily see the want/need to do it for things like tethering or allowing facetime on 3G because AT&T is screwing people over who have unlimited plans and allowing airplay mirroring of everything when apps are normally preventing it for dumb reasons. So while I may or may not really need it, it doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to do it because apple or AT&T forces us into their horrible mentality on certain things.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

- Please disable the lock passcode of your iOS device before using evasi0n. It can cause issues.

- If the process gets stuck somewhere, it's safe to restart the program, reboot the device (if necessary by holding down Power and Home until it shuts down), and rerun the process.

This should have been in the app, no one reads the readme :D

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I know the ATV3 has some hardware blocks in place to prevent delivery of some code to it (even when iOS 5 had been jailbroken, you could not jailbreak ATV3 running iOS 5). However, I hope that this jailbreak applies to ATV2. I would very much like to upgrade my Apple TV 2 units to iOS 6 and still be able to run XBMC.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I love these jailbreaks, it used to be such a pain in the butt with putting it in DFU mode, and downloading the right program and IPSW file. Now it's just click one button and it does all the work.

wratran

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
nothing to admit for me. I've paid for every app from cydia. But you go ahead and make your generalizations. Like there's anything wrong with free apps.
I love being able to share my iphone's internet connection without paying at&t an extra $20/month (tether me). I love being able to send texts from my lock screen (lock info + bite sms). I love being able to attach anything to an email within that email (anyattach).

free apps

c0venant

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012

the README file also says "Those who use backup passwords in iTunes must disable them for now" - how do I do this? is it where it says "Encrypt iPhone backup"? do I have to disable that?

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Just don't unlock them. The Department of Cell Phone Enforcement will come pay you a visit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.