Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
"Lets just release half baked OSes each year and pile bugs on top of bugs" said Craig Federighi. "Great idea" exclaimed Scott as he was headed out the door on his last day.

Later that day Tim Cook was reading his favorite site, MacRumors. His eyes widened and locked focus. He was trying to make sense of this weird file:/// issue. He called over Phil to explain what this all meant. Once he grasped what the bug meant, he ran over to the phone and speed dialed Craig. What the **** Craig.

How can you let this slip? Don't you *******s test this **** before releasing it? Holding back tears, Craig minced that this was Scott's idea and that he didn't realize Scott messed around with the code.
_______

Never mind. This story isn't going well.

Anyways, I really wished Apple would focus on polishing the OS and once is is 99.99% polished, then work on releasing a new OS.

Lion has bugs, and Mountain Lion only adds more bugs on top of the existing ones. And I'm not talking about the file:/// issue.

Ferazel

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Come on OpenGL 4.0+ support! It's incredibly annoying that Linux gets OpenGL extension support before we do. The way that Apple was releasing Java updates wasn't appropriate, and they finally released control over that. Neither is their mangled control of their GPU drivers.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I love Apple, Apple hardware and software are awesome compared to rest of industry. App Store as a software distribuition platform is great, upgrading for few bucks is awesome too.

But working in a computer shop i think releasing a new OS every year is bad, 1,5 years is much better, half a year more changes a lot.

Most users didn't update not for fear, software problems.... just because they don't know they can update, they didn't check often, don't understand the advantages of having an updated OS with better support, drivers, features.

Especially noob/new/slow users have more time to understand these things with longer updates times. Maybe to most of you this could sound strange but believe me more time is better and gives also Apple the chance to bugfix better. Almost every release is good, we as OS X users are paranoid and and ofter criticize but every OS X has been innovative, stable and cheap compared to the rest of industry.... but more time means even better test and stability at lunch.

Saying that.... i can't wait for 10.9 and as on 10.7 i hope for better 3D drivers. 10.7 was much more faster than 10.6 in 3D by a large margin. 10.8.3 should be a boost too.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
Guessing the C2D's will be cut :)

Time for me to upgrade :p

I'm sure they'll be looking for areas to cut support, but C2D shouldn't be one of them. They are still far too capable, sometimes even better than the first gen Core i3's. And features like hyperthreading are no reason to drop support.

It is also unlikely they drop Core i3's since they are still selling education iMacs with them.

No, it will most likely be Graphic support they drop on the older Macs.

I have a C2D hackintosh, and if they drop support for my HD 4670 I'll just buy a new card.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I'm sure they'll be looking for areas to cut support, but C2D shouldn't be one of them. They are still far too capable, sometimes even better than the first gen Core i3's. And features like hyperthreading are no reason to drop support.

It is also unlikely they drop Core i3's since they are still selling education iMacs with them.

No, it will most likely be Graphic support they drop on the older Macs.

I have a C2D hackintosh, and if they drop support for my HD 4670 I'll just buy a new card.

Completely agree. My 3Ghz C2D still flies along nicely. Will be a bastard if they drop support for the Nvidia 8 series though. I'd hate to think my iMac has reached the end of the line.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
No way C2D is getting dropped yet - it's not too long ago Apple was still selling them.

(might just be the insecure 2010 MBA C2D owner in me talking though).

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I remember when I couldn't wait to get details of a new OS X version, now it seems like actual useful new features rarely appear. I'm only on 10.7 and I even regret updating to that. Where are the compelling new features? Siri, Facebook, and maps on the desktop aren't very exciting or even useful to me. Maybe I'm in the minority? I dunno, but the excitement for OS X is long gone for me, and yet there are still long-standing bugs and quirks in Finder and Safari that seem will never get fixed.

Notification center, Messages, full integration with Notes and Reminders on iOS. All those seem very handy to me. If you don't use them it won't benefit you, but what else is new.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Siri and a Apple Maps?

if those are the only changes that's not much of an update. I have siri turned off on my phone, and use google maps mostly.

BOOO

Prepare to be disappointed. I highly doubt they'll add much more than Siri and Maps. They seem to be running out of "brand new" ideas.

It'll still be a nice OS, but don't expect much.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
It's just too weird for a computer to have a maps app.

What apple should really do is just put google maps back into iOS. If they can't donthat, then at least they should open up a web version of apple maps and something like Google Map Maker. I think that they'd hopefully be at least decent.

...... really? You REALLY know THAT little about the situation? :rolleyes:

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I remember when I couldn't wait to get details of a new OS X version, now it seems like actual useful new features rarely appear. I'm only on 10.7 and I even regret updating to that. Where are the compelling new features? Siri, Facebook, and maps on the desktop aren't very exciting or even useful to me. Maybe I'm in the minority? I dunno, but the excitement for OS X is long gone for me, and yet there are still long-standing bugs and quirks in Finder and Safari that seem will never get fixed.

If the upgrades still cost $129, I'd agree with you. But since Snow Leopard, each update has been less than $30. I personally feel like I'm getting what I pay for. Not to mention the "under the hood" improvements.

A new, modern, simplified, Jony'fied UI-look.
+ updated GFX drives. And the removal of LaunchPad.

Now that would get my blood flowin'.

I'm skeptical about any UI changes - especially anything drastic. I would love to see skeumorphism get taken out behind the barn and shot. Aside from that, I like the direction of the UI over the past few releases. Remember pinstripes? Brushed metal? Yeah...

I like the UI as is. But out of curiosity, what specifically would you change? (Other than a re-skinning)...

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Windows 8 already has a Maps app, so it's not too weird for OS X to have it.

Except OS X Maps will allow you to map a route from your Mac and automatically send the directions to your iPhone/iPad, so that Navigation begins when you head out.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Except OS X Maps will allow you to map a route from your Mac and automatically send the directions to your iPhone/iPad, so that Navigation begins when you head out.

That would be nice to have.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
meh

Does anyone remember when new OSX releases were really exciting??

Now it's the same thing with a few iOS features thrown in. The main problem with that is that iOS has stagnated for years.

:rolleyes:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
They will probably cut non unibody MacBook Pros like mine. I hope not. If they do, I'll try to get it running on it though.

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
A new, modern, simplified, Jony'fied UI-look.
+ updated GFX drives. And the removal of LaunchPad.

Now that would get my blood flowin'.

It's not like you have to use LaunchPad. Just ignore it. Move it out of the dock. Those that like it (like me) should be able to keep it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.