Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Welcome to this weeks photo thread!

Theme: Romance

We're coming up on Valentine's Day, so it seems to be an appropriate theme for this week's contest.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

* To see all of our past contests please see the sticky thread here *

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
7625046740_a9473bf4cf_c.jpg

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Last day to submit! I'll close off submissions about 9pm EST or so. I'll be out tonight and expect to be back around that time.

MasterDragon

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2012
Northern California
Young Love

I was fortunate to capture these beautiful children while visiting Guadalajara, Mexico. Romance at any age is beautiful, happy Valentine's day.

Attachments

• yng-luv8614.jpg
    yng-luv8614.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 250

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Submissions are now closed. Not a large group of shots this time around, but my quick look through shows a pretty high quality in all the submissions, so it will not be an easy job judging. Since I'm going to be out tomorrow night, and out later, I'll get to it right after this post!

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
And here we go!

…in this together by - PhotoSmith -, on Flickr

As shot.

1D Mark III, EF 50mm f/1.4 @ f/8

Click through for strobist info.

This first image is quite powerful. I get a really strong bond feeling between the two people. It feels like a serious, we're in this together, whatever happens, bonding happening. I like how their hands seem to merge together in the shadow. I only have a couple of minor criticisms, which are pretty nitpicky details. I'm a little distracted by the small bit of encroaching tattoo on the woman's right shoulder. I feel it should be cloned out only because there's so little of it there. There's also that one stray hair across her cheek that stands out that I also think should be cloned out. Otherwise, it's a really strong start to the theme.

I'm surprised there's only one wedding shot in the submissions. You can't get much more romantic that a wedding day photo. Framing them in the opening works well to set them apart from the background. I'm getting a bit of a strange vibe from the couple, though. It looks like the groom is pulling her in, but she's holding back for some reason. The separation between them, even though they're kissing, is taking something away from the romance of the overall scene. I wonder if they were just nervous about the pose for the photograph.

Leading lines! They're everywhere! They're coming to get me! :)

Well done on the framing and leading lines to the couple. I only wish they were a little closer. And... that there wasn't a telephone pole growing out of one of the heads... But maybe that's what the other person finds attractive. ;)

LA Pride (West Hollywood) 2012

Pride is all about the rainbow. I like that the woman on the left has a rainbow bag that compliments the pride flag in the background. And, the woman on the right echoes some rainbow colors on her wrist. My minor complaint is the telephone pole partially separating them.

This image projects a different romance message. So far we've had obvious romance between two people in the image. This one says romance is waiting for the viewer from one (or maybe both! :)) of the subjects. I like the contrast between the two ladies, too. The dark hair with the white top that contrasts with the light hair and dark top. And yet they both have that "bad girl" feel to them. Come be my valentine... if you dare!

Out having fun on a cold, snowy day. Having fun together is definitely part of romance. Unfortunately, this image is a little too much "snapshot" for my taste.

(sorry, no thumbnail image for this one)

Old love is some of the best love. This is the kind of image that really brings out what love and romance is and how it survives over the years. It's simple and expresses the feeling very well.

Old, faithful love.

The old city by DigitAl3x, on Flickr

And here we have another old couple together. I like the monotone treatment of this one. Comparing this one to the previous shot, I wish this couple had been holding hands, too. That would have expressed more romance between them. It also seems that including the tree was deliberate, especially since the couple is on one side of it. For me the tree isn't really working since it divides the image in half. I'd like to know your reasoning and thoughts on the tree.

I was fortunate to capture these beautiful children while visiting Guadalajara, Mexico. Romance at any age is beautiful, happy Valentine's day.
(also missing the quoted image)

Now we have the opposite of old love with a very young couple. As I look at them I want to know more - what are they looking at? The building they're coming out of is dark - what is inside? As far as the quality of the photo, it also falls on the "snapshot" side, though it is more in the street photography category as well.

So now I must come to the winners. Once again it is tough picking. I'm looking for the images that speak to me the most.

First the almost-there's...
3) acearchie
2) deep_diver

And the winner, which has such a strong feel that I just keep going back to it.
1) mustang_dvs

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Thanks!

Eeek.

Now I have to figure out a theme. :D

(To answer the criticism: I don't 'retouch' permanent parts of people. Doing so removes the entire purpose of putting a human being in front of the camera. In fact, I rarely even retouch the transient parts.)

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Congrats on the win Mustang_dvs and great job on judging keleko. I was unable to find something to enter on this weeks theme. But I am all ready to see what the next theme is.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Keleko -- thanks for the feedback and an excellent job of judging. When I saw this couple at the nursing home, I thought they had been married forever. I found out later that they were both widowed and found each other at the nursing home. This was very much new love.

I don't 'retouch' permanent parts of people. Doing so removes the entire purpose of putting a human being in front of the camera. In fact, I rarely even retouch the transient parts.)

mustang_dvs -- I've looked at your flickr page. You have some very powerful images. Your philosophy about retouching gives me a sense that your models are real people in a real world. That's not something seen very often in studio (or any posed) images.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Thanks!

Eeek.

Now I have to figure out a theme. :D

(To answer the criticism: I don't 'retouch' permanent parts of people. Doing so removes the entire purpose of putting a human being in front of the camera. In fact, I rarely even retouch the transient parts.)

Keleko -- thanks for the feedback and an excellent job of judging. When I saw this couple at the nursing home, I thought they had been married forever. I found out later that they were both widowed and found each other at the nursing home. This was very much new love.

mustang_dvs -- I've looked at your flickr page. You have some very powerful images. Your philosophy about retouching gives me a sense that your models are real people in a real world. That's not something seen very often in studio (or any posed) images.

mustang-dvs - Okay, I see the difference now. I was thinking inside the "perfect model shot" box where all flaws are cleaned up. Since that's not what you're doing, then I understand not retouching the tattoo or much of anything else. I think I'd still consider the stray hair worth retouching, though. Even then the retouch suggestions were only minor points for me since they didn't diminish the power of the image.

deep diver - I wondered if that might have been the case. It makes me happy to hear people can still find new love at any age.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
mustang-dvs - Okay, I see the difference now. I was thinking inside the "perfect model shot" box where all flaws are cleaned up. Since that's not what you're doing, then I understand not retouching the tattoo or much of anything else. I think I'd still consider the stray hair worth retouching, though. Even then the retouch suggestions were only minor points for me since they didn't diminish the power of the image..

Sorry for being grouchy (I'm getting over a cold/flu). I'll certainly concede that the hair is a distraction. :)

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
And here we go!
Leading lines! They're everywhere! They're coming to get me! :)

Well done on the framing and leading lines to the couple. I only wish they were a little closer. And... that there wasn't a telephone pole growing out of one of the heads... But maybe that's what the other person finds attractive. ;)

Oh trust me, I was cursing that telephone pole both at the time, and then particularly afterward. The shot however, was totally candid (I have no idea who this couple is). I was just out shooting for the day, they walked past me, and then I grabbed some shots of their afternoon as they strolled across the bridge. Stupid pole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.