Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Journeyman79

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
Liverpool, England.
Since it’ll most likely be a Lion/ML style upgrade, the thing I’m most excited about is what it will be called :D

If its a small upgrade like the progression from Leopard to Snow Leopard, and Lion to Mountain Lion, then it'll be the 3rd version of the 'Lion' OS's

Therefore, i predict

SNOW MOUNTAIN LION!

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Call me cranky, but a new OS every 365 days is more than a pain. If you use your macs for work product , each new OS pretty much erases a work day to update and another work day for the now inevitable updates as ,under a yearly schedule, any early adopters are now really the REAL beta testers.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
If the upgrades still cost $129, I'd agree with you. But since Snow Leopard, each update has been less than $30. I personally feel like I'm getting what I pay for. Not to mention the "under the hood" improvements.

I'm skeptical about any UI changes - especially anything drastic. I would love to see skeumorphism get taken out behind the barn and shot. Aside from that, I like the direction of the UI over the past few releases. Remember pinstripes? Brushed metal? Yeah...

I like the UI as is. But out of curiosity, what specifically would you change? (Other than a re-skinning)...

Agree. I wish they would go back to beta releases requiring a full reinstall during the Serlet 10.4-6 days. It may have been more time consuming, but it allowed for better testing compared to the 4 App Store incremental DP's. We used to get a full beta DMG every other week, in most cases for over a year.

I remember 10.5 beta's had ZSF+ hinted at, and I loved the "Answering Machine" feature in iChat in Leopard beta's. You left a video away message and friend could leave one for you. That would be great in "Messages", especially for the deaf.

New Finder As HDD volumes are larger and cheaper (and NAS are becoming commonplace in consumer homes), HFS+ is long in the tooth. Shame as ZFS+ is great for large volumes ("Time Machine" anyone?). Licensing issues, blah. :)

OpenGL Core 3.x support is bad enough, 4.0 is atrocious

Skeuomorphism Get rid of it in OS X. I use "Mountain Lion Tweaks" to bring back 10.6 GUI for Contacts and Calendar, without it I wouldn't use them.

Messages buggy, keeps launching deleted messages on my Mac Pro and Macbook Air

Mail Overhaul; streamline it and allow for more customizations of rules and mailboxes

iLife 11 iPhoto needs an overhaul. Also bring back the ability to restore deleted individual pictures, events, albums through "Time Machine" that ver. 9 removed. No need to restore the whole library if pics are accidentally emptied from its trash. Why did Apple remove this?

Multiple Display Support As I use 2 monitors, this is a major contention for me. Fullscreen apps should not "linen" secondary displays. Fullscreen allows for full use of a displays desktop real estate, but should not negate secondary displays. Add the ability for fullscreen on two or more displays.

"Mission Control" Why mess with 10.5/6 Spaces and Exposé? Craig Federigh's baby is a hot mess. 10.8 brought back ungrouping in Exposé, yet iOS Spaces is inefficient for a desktop system (swiping through 10-16 desktops? C'mon! I assign apps for work to various desktops that was easy to access with 10.5/6 Grid Spaces. Thank god for TotalSpaces for "3D" grid Spaces in 10.7/8.

Most of all, focus on stability. I've never used such an unstable OS X release since 10.7 (10.8 has been better). While better than other OS's, still sub-par for Apple.

Last edited:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Call me cranky, but a new OS every 365 days is more than a pain. If you use your macs for work product , each new OS pretty much erases a work day to update and another work day for the now inevitable updates as ,under a yearly schedule, any early adopters are now really the REAL beta testers.
Update on a day you're not working?

I'm running 10.9.

They are going to name it Cougar.
I bet you are.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Come on OpenGL 4.0+ support! It's incredibly annoying that Linux gets OpenGL extension support before we do. The way that Apple was releasing Java updates wasn't appropriate, and they finally released control over that. Neither is their mangled control of their GPU drivers.

Well, considering everything that you SEE in osx is built on OpenGL, they actually do need control over the drivers. Besides, the actual backend drivers are still made by the gpu vendors.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I'm excited for 10.9 though I'm going to hold off and see what the initial reviews are like and other people's impressions are. May end up waiting for 10.9.1 or 10.9.2. Just so most of the kinks are ironed out by then. :D

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
I feel like Siri is going to end up going the way of Sherlock...

Although in all fairness, Sherlock was actually useful until Mac OS X.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Reading this thread, many of you are going to be disappointed. 10.9 will be called Cougar or Lynx. There will be no radical UI change (never happened in the history of OS X) but rather some gradual UI tweaks here and there...if that even.

Gfx drivers will be business as usual. Enough to power on cards and render the UI at 24fps. Plus outdated OpenGl support as a bonus. Don't expect some extreme performance you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Bugs galore which will be fixed in 10.9.4

Maybe Siri and Maps

The End

Priced $9.99 - $14.99 and available from MAS.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
I'll take quality over quantity any day. That being said, if Apple does NOT do this, they don't get their $29 update fee. So we are all on this merry go round that is speeding up strictly for monetary reasons.

Unfortunately, if this speed up in SW versions also speeds up how quickly Mac HW becomes unsupported/obsolete, well, that is bad news for all of us.

Last edited:

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
Siri integration has some really cool potential.

Imagine saying, "wake up Siri" "launch safari".

Allowing her to access and automate the devices that share pretty well now would be nice.

However, for her to be seriously taken as an assistant I think home automation is key. Right now most of the home gadgets are expensive but imagine the possibly in a few years "Siri dim the lights", "Siri start the dishwasher/ dryer/ washer", "Siri make me coffee".

Those things would make her more useful than, "Siri find Olive Garden".

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I don't see Siri coming to OS X. One of the reasons Apple have included it with iOS devices is that it, supposedly, makes certain tasks more convenient on what is already a more personal experience than a notebook/desktop. With an iOS device, you just hold the Home button and talk to the thing; this just doesn't transfer as neatly to a notebook or desktop.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
is this going to be the "tick" version of the OS with lots of features ? hope so.
With these yearly releases, I'm not expecting that much to be honest. I actually thought Mountain Lion had more than I expected.

This new cycle should allow releases on par with a third of the feature set of those past ones that came every third year or so. Especially so since there's always a "wind up" and "wind down" period in releases. Although I guess the wind up could be minimized by starting development on one release in parallel with how the other is getting finished. But they don't really get a full year of development worth for fancy new features, since a sizable part of it is dedicated to quality assurance with minimal new features, if any.

Maybe I'm a killjoy but I'm just trying to set the right expectations. :D Something like two or three new major features would be what I expect.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
+1 - I definitely am hoping for and expecting a new UI.
Why would the removal of a feature you personally don't use and never have to see get you excited? Other people do use it...and it never needs to be visible as far as you're concerned, so why would it bother you?

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Name a third one.

Milky Way, Andromeda, Bode's Galaxy, Cartwheel Galaxy, Centaurus A, Cigar Galaxy, Comet Galaxy, Hoag's Object, Large Magellanic Cloud, Small Magellanic Cloud, Mayall's Object, Omega Centauri, Pinwheel Galaxy, Sculptor Galaxy, Sombrero Galaxy, Sunflower Galaxy, Tadpole Galaxy, Triangulum Galaxy, Whirlpool Galaxy

I think on second thought, naming OS's after galaxies is not such an appealing idea. My vote is for Sci-Fi robots.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.