Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida
guys, im new to ios, coming from android.

i was wondering, since i void my warranty when jailbreaking and

i am going to probably sell the device before the warranty would have expired,

if jailbroken devices are sold more easily, harder (or with discount)?

ive been under the impression that at least with android you can sell rooted devices with a premium.

ty

Jailbreaking DOESN'T void your warranty!!!!!!

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
By you choosing to steal it without reservation, the implication is that the people who ARE choosing to do the right thing and abide their agreement are somehow suckers for doing so.

I'm not somehow implying it, I'm directly stating it. :rolleyes:

LorPGDL

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2011
Jailbreaking DOESN'T void your warranty!!!!!!

100 %? just cause im reading conflicting statements in this post. the verge, however, is of the same opinion, just to restore the old firmware to be in "apples good graces" again.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You can call it whatever you want, but there are hard working people in the world that don't violate thier contract and steal tethering. By you choosing to steal it without reservation, the implication is that the people who ARE choosing to do the right thing and abide their agreement are somehow suckers for doing so.

"Steal tethering"? What's next, you can only use your phone when facing north?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Isn't this like buying a Mustang and saying that Ford "forces" 4 wheels on you?...

More like buying a Mustang and being forced to stay with the stock configurations. The Mustang will just work, but you could always tweak it to your liking...

Maybe a Mustang is nt the best car for this.

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
LOL I've been trying since the jailbreak was completed to try and get stuff downloaded from Cydia with no luck. There must be 1000s of people in there jamming up the servers....

ocd-spaceballs-radar-technician--20080305054918145-000.jpg

anthonyfellows

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
General rule of thumb for me:

If I'm paying for "5GB of data", I should be able to use that 5GB *ANY WAY THAT I WANT*. I bought it. That's the end of the discussion.

Tethering should be included.

Even though I don't use tethering (really don't have the need). I do agree with you. If you're paying for a set amount of data, it shouldn't matter what device you use it on. Sharing it with another device doesn't mean he's getting double the data for half the price. For those who have unlimited, I feel the same way. You're still getting throttled when you reach 5gb on AT&T. Doesn't matter how the 5gb was used, you're getting throttled, and will remain at a slower speed until the next billing cycle.

I understand that it violates AT&T's TOS or whatever, but it isn't anything even remotely close to "theft", when you're not using any more than what you've already paid for.

----------

First you turn your device on and off.
Then leave it until tomorrow.

And if that doesn't work throw it across the room and repeat the steps.

LOL. That was awesome!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
guys, im new to ios, coming from android.

i was wondering, since i void my warranty when jailbreaking and

i am going to probably sell the device before the warranty would have expired,

if jailbroken devices are sold more easily, harder (or with discount)?

ive been under the impression that at least with android you can sell rooted devices with a premium.

ty
I would never sell a JBed device. Probably not rooted Android, either. If they want to do that, fine. If there is a version number limitation for the current JB/root, I'll sell it without upgrading, so they can JB it themselves. Maybe at the right moment, that could raise your sale price a bit. (there isn't a limitation right now for this new JB, btw)

Any computer with storage you are selling: wipe it first. Computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida
We are making progress! I can start downloads without errors!

Makes it about halfway through before failing.

(trying to download Winterboard)

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
General rule of thumb for me:

If I'm paying for "5GB of data", I should be able to use that 5GB *ANY WAY THAT I WANT*. I bought it. That's the end of the discussion.

Tethering should be included.

I agree. Those tethering on Apples unlimited plan, maybe, okay, I could see a case there, but I see NO reason to not include tethering on tiered plans.

For the record, AT&T's new mobile share plans DO support tethering, included. (The way it should be). My wife and I switched to that from our 'family plan' and it actually ended up reducing our bill by about $10. We have 6GB of shared data shared across our two iPhones and my iPad. As a bonus, you can add a tablet for $10/month, which is cheaper than getting the 3G on the iPad by itself as I had done previously. With the mobile share plan, I can enable the iPhones native tethering. I use MyWi on the iPad to use it for tethering, should I ever need to.

Their pricing is structured in such a way that the amount of Data you already pay for across devices is the same if you combine it. So, for example, if you had three devices with 2GB of data each, the 6GB share is the same price. Where we saved was the fact that unlmited minutes and unlimited texting is included in the 'main' line, so that line was about $10 cheaper than paying for our rate plan (which was the lowest anyway, most of my stuff is free mobile-to-mobile), and paying for family unlimited texting.

Something to think about / look into. I love MyWi but native tethering is a bit nicer.

Wrathwielder

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
Although not many reasons for me to jailbreak, I know many who will be happy.

What jailbreak tweaks is everyone excited to try on their devices?

I JB so I can add the DELETE ALL feature to the email app.
Anyone know WHY Apple has never added this feature? Just yesterday I had to individually select 535 emails for deletion. I do this weekly :(

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
... Something to think about / look into. I love MyWi but native tethering is a bit nicer.

I've noticed it seems to really vary. With my old Verizon setup, it would have gone from $70 a month for 700 min/500texts(unlimited to other VZW)/Unlimited data, to $100-$120 for Unlimited text/minutes (I less than 200 of both of these a month) and 4 gigs of data. :confused:

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
You can call it whatever you want, but there are hard working people in the world that don't violate thier contract and steal tethering. By you choosing to steal it without reservation, the implication is that the people who ARE choosing to do the right thing and abide their agreement are somehow suckers for doing so.

I wonder how many people admit to Apple they have violated their warranty when they have an issue (related or not) and they need warranty work?

I guess that's ok to steal that too?

Look, I really don't care what anyone does with their life if they don't matter to me. The world is full of hypocrites, liars, and people who steal. Whatever floats your boat...

What do you have to say about the dozens of devices that tether for free on AT&T without issue? My old phone before my iPhone, a Samsung Windows Mobile phone, supported native tethering and AT&T didn't do anything about that, and that was on an unlimited plan! The contract doesn't disallow tethering. You are quite literally paying extra to simply enable the iPhones native tethering ability.

I'm strongly against piracy, I believe that if someone makes something, and you think the price is unfair, then you don't buy it. You don't just 'take it' (or copy it or however else they justify it) because you claim you can't afford it or wouldn't ever buy it. However, I don't see the connection here. I don't jailbreak for piracy, and I wouldn't ask Apple to support Cydia or the Jailbreak software. But if I had a hardware failure not caused by the jailbreak, then yes, I'd expect Apple to keep their end of the bargain and fix it for me.

The Magnuson-Moss warranty act in the United States prevents Apple (and any other company) to void a warranty on unrelated things. The act states that a warranty cannot be voided by modifying the product. By modifying the software, Apple can refuse to support the software, but they cannot refuse to support the hardware. By returning the device to it's original state (restoring) then they once again need to support the software unless they can PROVE the modification caused an issue.

This is just software, simple software being installed. That's it. If I screwed up my iPhone installing a weird glow-light behind the Apple logo or installing colored plastic pieces, I wouldn't expect Apple to fix it. But this morning when I jailbroke my phone, all I did was install a piece of software.

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I love all you clowns defending the big companies.

You'd think all of the tetherme users would be rotting in jail by now, judging by how you guys talk about this. It's a freaking terms of service agreement and no one is going to throw you in jail for breaking it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.