Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tildesley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
i have an airport extreme with a usb hard drive attached, works like a dream :) i currently connect it to my laptop and atv2 which I've jailbroken, can i connect it to a roku player though? thinking file formats, etc etc.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
i have an airport extreme with a usb hard drive attached, works like a dream :) i currently connect it to my laptop and atv2 which I've jailbroken, can i connect it to a roku player though? thinking file formats, etc etc.

Just got a Roku XS. Love it. Apple TV lacks content big time and I feel its a dud unless you use it for AirPlay exclusively.

Roku's USB file system can handle,

FAT,NTFS, HFS+. It can read Mac formatted drives! Yes! I used a Buffalo portable drive formatted in HFS+ and it worked like a charm!

Plus I slipped in a 16 GB microSD card lying around.

Roku Rocks!

I used Handbrake ripped movies and it worked flawlessly. I tried a MKV that I made from a DVD(not Blue Ray) and it didn't work. I read somewhere that MKV of DVD's has MPEG-2 stream and Roku's MKV only play h.264 codec or something like that.

Waiting for my external USB Blu Ray drive so I can test that as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.