Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:06 AM   #76
nicolodean
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spain and Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
I guess you purchased the DVD; if that is so, you'll need to update manually first. Then the updates from the store will be applied. Also, I think you'll need to be on the latest version of the OS as well.
Thanks for response. Yes I bought DVD with iwork 09. how do I update manually? am now running Mountain Lion so am on latest OS.
nicolodean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:30 AM   #77
Cougarcat
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
Oh, really? I've never tried that, it could be great.

Is it necessary to have QuickTime installed on the computer I'll play the presentation, right? What if the computer doesn't have QuickTime? Everybody always expect us to bring a PPT file, and the computer will have PowerPoint installed on it, because that's how it happens at least 99.99% of the times (at least here in Brazil, Keynote virtually doesn't exist). But the computer I'll have to open the presentation will probably not have QuickTime on it, and I wouldn't be able to install it. Is there any other way? Is there a "portable" version of QuickTime that I can carry around on my pen drive and open it in a computer without having to install it?
You'll need it installed. I found out this the hard way once (QT was actually installed, but it was an older version that didn't play the movie.) Luckily I'd made an HTML backup. That's an option, though you'll loose the fancy effects.

Unfortunately the best solution is to bring your own Mac or iOS device and hook it up. I take it you have no way to do this?
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:46 PM   #78
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030
 
CylonGlitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolodean View Post
Thanks for response. Yes I bought DVD with iwork 09. how do I update manually? am now running Mountain Lion so am on latest OS.
I don't have the links off the top of my head, but you'll need to go to Apple.com and find the update packages there.
__________________
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:04 AM   #79
nicolodean
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spain and Scotland
Thanks for help.

I nailed it, downloaded update but was met with error message. Remembered I read something about Pages needing to be in the iWord directory, moved it there and was able to update iWord 09. So I now have Keynote 5.2 and can use it with iBooks author.

Job Done!
nicolodean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:09 PM   #80
izann
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
How about Open Office?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmissmolly View Post
. . . Since switching to Apple products 4 years ago I have resisted buying Office, but it is becoming very tempting as Apple lags behind.

rMBP, 27 iMac, iPhone 4s, iPad2, Time Capsule....and soon MS OFFICE..aaargh!!
Have you considered downloading Open Office? I use the NeoOffice version, which is Mac only. I pay about $10 a year (could be $20) for this. In my opinion, it is superior to Microsoft Office for Mac.
izann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:40 PM   #81
skaertus
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by izann View Post
Have you considered downloading Open Office? I use the NeoOffice version, which is Mac only. I pay about $10 a year (could be $20) for this. In my opinion, it is superior to Microsoft Office for Mac.
OpenOffice and LibreOffice are open-source office suites that are free to download and install. Despite being free, it is full-featured and one of the best alternatives to Microsoft Office. I particularly find Writer a very competent word processor, and it does a good job in keeping compatibility with Microsoft Word files (although it is not perfect).

You may find that OpenOffice/Libre Office do not have all the features of Microsoft Office, or that it is not as well designed as Apple iWork. It is not the real thing, and if you want full compatibility with Microsoft Office, then, well, you should get Microsoft Office. But, for the price you pay, it keeps impressively competitive with the top-notch office suites. You should definitely have one of them, or both, installed in your computer. I particularly like LibreOffice better, but you may try both.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (early 2013) | 13-inch MacBook 2.4 GHz (early 2008) | 32 GB new iPad wi-fi + cellular | 16 GB iPhone 5s | 16 GB iPhone 5
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:07 PM   #82
skaertus
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
As you can see from the news (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/04/...r-mac-and-ios/), Apple updated iWork for OS X again... but just to keep up with the changes to the iOS version.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (early 2013) | 13-inch MacBook 2.4 GHz (early 2008) | 32 GB new iPad wi-fi + cellular | 16 GB iPhone 5s | 16 GB iPhone 5
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:29 PM   #83
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040
 
Michael Goff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I was happy to see an update...

Then I saw that it was just for compatibility with iWork on iOS and deflated.
Michael Goff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:48 PM   #84
colourfastt
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
I was happy to see an update...

Then I saw that it was just for compatibility with iWork on iOS and deflated.
The way things are going soon I'll end up with a 27" iPad.
__________________
Sexual intercourse is a poor substitute for masturbation. - Quentin Crisp
colourfastt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:02 PM   #85
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040
 
Michael Goff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by colourfastt View Post
The way things are going soon I'll end up with a 27" iPad.
That'll never happen... it'd be like merging a fridge and toaster, right?

*wink wink*
Michael Goff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:20 PM   #86
jamescobalt
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
talk about a late response

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
Oh, really? I've never tried that, it could be great.

Is it necessary to have QuickTime installed on the computer I'll play the presentation, right? What if the computer doesn't have QuickTime? Everybody always expect us to bring a PPT file, and the computer will have PowerPoint installed on it, because that's how it happens at least 99.99% of the times (at least here in Brazil, Keynote virtually doesn't exist). But the computer I'll have to open the presentation will probably not have QuickTime on it, and I wouldn't be able to install it. Is there any other way? Is there a "portable" version of QuickTime that I can carry around on my pen drive and open it in a computer without having to install it?
my bad for the late reply. anyway, yes, quicktime has to be installed on the computer. we generally bring our own laptops or ask for it to be installed in advance if it isn't. there IS a portable version but I haven't tried it with a quicktime slideshow yet: http://thehouseofportable.blogspot.c...able-v772.html
jamescobalt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:23 PM   #87
skaertus
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescobalt View Post
my bad for the late reply. anyway, yes, quicktime has to be installed on the computer. we generally bring our own laptops or ask for it to be installed in advance if it isn't. there IS a portable version but I haven't tried it with a quicktime slideshow yet: http://thehouseofportable.blogspot.c...able-v772.html
Thanks. I'll try the portable version to see if it works.

BTW, Microsoft has just released Office 2013. I bought Office Home Premium 365, the subscription version, and it is simply mind-blowing. It comes with pretty much everything - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, Outlook and Publisher - and each of them is a great piece of software on its own. The cloud integration is also very good. Office 2013 is simply the best office suite ever, in my opinion, and it leaves everything else in the dust, as nothing compares to it.

And no signs of a Mac version so far... and when it comes, it will be a lesser version of Office, just like every other Office released in the last few years.

Will Apple stick with iWork '09 forever on the Mac and never release a substantial update? C'mon, time has come, and Apple does nothing. And when and if a new version of iWork comes, I suspect that it will be just a minor upgrade, with no jaw-dropping new features, following Apple's "less is more" philosophy. Disappointing at best.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (early 2013) | 13-inch MacBook 2.4 GHz (early 2008) | 32 GB new iPad wi-fi + cellular | 16 GB iPhone 5s | 16 GB iPhone 5
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:15 PM   #88
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a
 
A Hebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
Will Apple stick with iWork '09 forever on the Mac and never release a substantial update? C'mon, time has come, and Apple does nothing. And when and if a new version of iWork comes, I suspect that it will be just a minor upgrade, with no jaw-dropping new features, following Apple's "less is more" philosophy. Disappointing at best.
I don't see Apple updating iWork (Except to maybe add new templates and better iCloud support) anytime soon. Software is at the bottom of the list for them, especially software found on the Mac. Unless an iOS iWork feature comes out that can be moved to Mac don't expect anything.
__________________
2012 13" MacBook Air | 2012 27" iMac | iPad 3 | iPhone 5
A Hebrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:07 AM   #89
skaertus
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
I don't see Apple updating iWork (Except to maybe add new templates and better iCloud support) anytime soon. Software is at the bottom of the list for them, especially software found on the Mac. Unless an iOS iWork feature comes out that can be moved to Mac don't expect anything.
I am pretty sure that iWork for Mac is not the top priority for Apple. I am just very disappointed at it.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (early 2013) | 13-inch MacBook 2.4 GHz (early 2008) | 32 GB new iPad wi-fi + cellular | 16 GB iPhone 5s | 16 GB iPhone 5
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:33 PM   #90
inajeep
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I recently stepped into the Mac world with a purchase of a 15" rMBP. My son and wife have an iMac and 2008 MBP respectively. My son and wife frequently run into issues receiving attachments from school or relatives that are in .doc or .docx format. So I am left with the task of opening them my Win7 based desktop.

It would greatly reduce the hassle of them emailing the attachments to me to open, print or update for them if iWorks was able to open the new MS formats.

After going through this thread it looks like may have to load openoffice unto my son's iMac even though he doesn't like it. Wetried that as a replacement with an old XP laptop instead of buying MS Office. Slow loading, formatting and printing issues were a big source of wasted time.

I am looking into OpenOffice again to see if it works any better on the Mac OSx than my and my son's experience on Windows. I have an aversion to subscription based software so no matter how mind numbingly good it may be I can't see spending ($99 * #years) for it.
__________________
rMBP 15"( 2012), MBP(2007)
iMac (2011) 27" , Pad 1(x2);
iPhone4 (x3), iPhone5(x2), iTouch
Apple TV 3rd Generation, Airport Extreme 3rd Generation
inajeep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:36 PM   #91
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816
 
T'hain Esh Kelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Denmark
Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
I am pretty sure that iWork for Mac is not the top priority for Apple. I am just very disappointed at it.
Looks like it might change! Yay!
__________________
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
T'hain Esh Kelch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:52 PM   #92
rcappo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
And I was going to finally buy it tomorrow after I update my mac tonight.

I have been holding out since April 2010 when it was a year old...
rcappo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:26 PM   #93
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816
 
T'hain Esh Kelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Denmark
Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcappo View Post
And I was going to finally buy it tomorrow after I update my mac tonight.

I have been holding out since April 2010 when it was a year old...
Well, the question is if Apple is going to call it iWork '15, because then you'll have to wait quite a bit more..

But they just call it 'Pages', and not 'Pages '09' on the App store, so I assume they'll just update it for free for those who already own it?
__________________
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
T'hain Esh Kelch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:35 PM   #94
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I'd still buy the old version. They're just now posting job openings for the guys that will be in charge of designing the concept?

Sheesh. Might be the best app of 2014.
Luis2004 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:34 AM   #95
skaertus
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcappo View Post
And I was going to finally buy it tomorrow after I update my mac tonight.

I have been holding out since April 2010 when it was a year old...
You may buy it. It's not going to be updated tomorrow. Apple is still going to develop the next version, as it is still hiring people for the job. It's going to take a while.

In addition, the next upgrade may come for free, as Apple may choose not to charge for it (as it has happened several times with the applications from the App Store).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis2004 View Post
Sheesh. Might be the best app of 2014.
I doubt that. Apple has never paid too much attention to the iWork suite.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (early 2013) | 13-inch MacBook 2.4 GHz (early 2008) | 32 GB new iPad wi-fi + cellular | 16 GB iPhone 5s | 16 GB iPhone 5
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:06 AM   #96
printz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I have Pages and Numbers installed. Whenever I can, I just use iWork instead of Office (2011), thanks to cool featurs that Office is unable to support: autosave+versions, Cocoa interface (customizable keybindings in Library/KeyBindings), modeless inspectors and maybe more. However, they still are poor:

- Pages keeps using a stupid "drawer" for the styles. That is a UI feature that Apple discourages in their Human Interface Guidelines, and rightly so: due to its nature of extending out of the window, it can't be visible from maximized or full-screen windows. Not only that, but it uses function keys (on a Mac!) for quickly setting styles. Function keys, which require Fn and most certainly two hands, whereas using something like CMD-1, CMD-2 etc. for the various headings would have been manageable with the left hand.

- I really like Numbers' unique design and it's too bad that all other Excel alternatives use the infinite spreadsheet model. Having discrete tables with exactly the data you need feels much better. But unfortunately Numbers doesn't feel powerful enough (or even designed) for any scientific calculation more advanced. I especially find annoying the way you refer to cells when typing formulae, not being able to reuse cells just by clicking on them while writing the formula.

I wonder if, on Retina MacBook Pros, Microsoft Office for Windows 7 looks great or not (i.e. if it looks good or just stretched with HiDPI scaling set to 200% on Windows control panel).
printz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:18 PM   #97
rcappo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
You may buy it. It's not going to be updated tomorrow. Apple is still going to develop the next version, as it is still hiring people for the job. It's going to take a while.

In addition, the next upgrade may come for free, as Apple may choose not to charge for it (as it has happened several times with the applications from the App Store).[COLOR="#808080"]
I bought it today...so expect it to be updated next week.

I'm disappointed that they haven't updated the startup movies or the App store page to not say Page '09, Numbers '09, Keynote '09,...

They have a few billion in cash, you would think that hiring a few developers full time to work on this would be a no brainer.
rcappo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:08 AM   #98
skaertus
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
skaertus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcappo View Post
They have a few billion in cash, you would think that hiring a few developers full time to work on this would be a no brainer.
Yes, but Apple is very tight-handed. It doesn't spend too much money on development.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (early 2013) | 13-inch MacBook 2.4 GHz (early 2008) | 32 GB new iPad wi-fi + cellular | 16 GB iPhone 5s | 16 GB iPhone 5
skaertus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:23 PM   #99
BigRedOne
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Does anybody know what software Apple Corporate employees use to keep the business running?
BigRedOne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:55 PM   #100
James Craner
macrumors 68000
 
James Craner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
does anybody know what software apple corporate employees use to keep the business running?
SAP - One of my friends is a SAP consultant and currently working with them at the moment.
__________________
Productivity Orchard Be more productive with your Mac
James Craner is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie are now free if you qualify [Merged] MauerFan iOS 7 57 Oct 24, 2013 01:38 AM
iWork For Free (merged) UnbornApple iPhone 38 Sep 25, 2013 12:08 PM
7.0.1 update coming available today? [Merged] plinx0r iOS 7 56 Sep 22, 2013 01:02 PM
Getting iWork Free? (merged) MauerFan iOS 7 43 Sep 19, 2013 08:24 PM
New iTunes? [Merged] *Now Available in Software Update* jkim3691 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2138 Nov 29, 2012 01:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC