Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:24 PM   #301
el-John-o
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
I've noticed it seems to really vary. With my old Verizon setup, it would have gone from $70 a month for 700 min/500texts(unlimited to other VZW)/Unlimited data, to $100-$120 for Unlimited text/minutes (I less than 200 of both of these a month) and 4 gigs of data.
Well, you must be grandfathered into an older plan then. Verizon no longer offers any unlimited data for the iPhone. So for someone currently on AT&T, that's not an option. I looked at Verizon, and they had a similar plan as the mobile share for the same price as we're paying. AT&T offers better coverage where I'm at so I stuck with them.

For a user on an AT&T family plan though (like most of us are/were), buying individual data packages, the mobile share can be the same price or less, but have the advantage of sharing data AND tethering. My wife doesn't use anywhere near 2 gigs, but I do. AT&T previously offered 250MB or 2GB. Wife uses more than 250MB! With the mobile share, I could do the same 4GB of data as before, for the exact same price. But, sharing them across two devices means she can use her 500-600MB she always uses, and I can safely go over 2GB because I can spill over into what she doesn't use. (Though I did end up getting the 6GB plan because it was only a few bucks more, and I've been tethering a lot lately)

For two iPhones and an iPad, unlimited voice and text, 4GB data shared is $160/month
For two iPhones and an iPad, unlimited voice and text, 6GB data shared is $170/month

It's 10 bucks more you get 6 gigs because, when you go up to 6GB, you get a break in the per-device rate (So you pay $20 more for 6GB of data than 4GB, BUT, pay $5 LESS per smartphone to have on the plan, so it comes out to $10 more for 2 smartphones)
__________________
Windows7 PC - Phenom II 965@4GHz x4 Cores, 16GB DDR3-2133, Radeon HD7970 | iPhone 5 32GB | iPad Air WiFi+LTE 128GB | Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13", Dual 256GB SSD's in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3-1600
el-John-o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:30 PM   #302
modelbehaviour
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK
Just jailbroke for the first time! Looking forward to adding some toggles to notification centre! (It didn't break my Apple weather app either.)

Every time I try and download anything from cydia I get a 502 Bad Gateway error....is this just because it's overloaded? (Sorry, noob question.)
__________________
iPhone 6 64GB Gold iPad 3rd Gen 64GB Wifi White iPad Mini Retina 32GB Wifi Grey 2012 Retina MBP, 2.3 GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Apple TV
modelbehaviour is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:33 PM   #303
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorEaster View Post
However, I disagree that telecoms are right to charge for tethering.
Pretty sure that post was sarcasm.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:35 PM   #304
plaxico44
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: PA
Still can't get into my account...
plaxico44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:35 PM   #305
olowott
macrumors 6502a
 
olowott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dundee, UK
Send a message via MSN to olowott
so many ppl are like happy wih the jail break, thats cool

am not a fan of it

only love it on my aTV, need that like crazy
__________________
iPhone 5s 32gb SpaceGrey -- 2011 13" Macbook pr-- iPhone 4s 16gb -- iPAD 2 32gb
olowott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:38 PM   #306
NorEaster
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by el-John-o View Post
The Magnuson-Moss warranty act in the United States prevents Apple (and any other company) to void a warranty on unrelated things. The act states that a warranty cannot be voided by modifying the product. By modifying the software, Apple can refuse to support the software, but they cannot refuse to support the hardware. By returning the device to it's original state (restoring) then they once again need to support the software unless they can PROVE the modification caused an issue.
Assuming this is accurate (admittedly, I'm being too lazy to google this), thank you for educating us. My wife's iPhone 3G had an issue and an Apple store rep refused to help her when he found out it was jailbroken. In fact, we were led to believe that her phone was now registered in some blacklist and we would no longer get support for it no matter what (and we even had paid for AppleCare for it when we first bought the phone!). And it was jb'ed just so she could put a different background on it and have copy/paste. Ah..the good ol' days when iOS didn't even have some basic features (despite having some nice ones too).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Pretty sure that post was sarcasm.
Well, now that I re-read the post...I can see how it could be sarcasm. I sure as hell hope so
NorEaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:40 PM   #307
Bahroo
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorPGDL View Post
guys, im new to ios, coming from android.

i was wondering, since i void my warranty when jailbreaking and

i am going to probably sell the device before the warranty would have expired,

if jailbroken devices are sold more easily, harder (or with discount)?

ive been under the impression that at least with android you can sell rooted devices with a premium.

ty
Technically it does "void your warranty if you jailbreak" BUT, all you have to do when you want to sell your phone to someone is restore it back to default on iTunes...that simple and the jailbreak is off the device
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:40 PM   #308
thisisdallas
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indiana
If I updated to 6.1 OTA with my iPhone 5 and iPad 3rd Gen, is it safe to jailbreak or do I need to do something before jailbreaking?
__________________
Space Gray iPhone 6 (64GB)
15" MacBook Pro (Core i7, 8GB RAM, High Res Antiglare Display, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD)
Space Gray iPad Air (64GB)
thisisdallas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:40 PM   #309
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
free apps

...yet no one will ever admit to that on these forums. They will all claim sb settings or theming
Installous, and its developers, was shut down a long time ago. Darn. Looks like we'll have to jailbreak for the numerous other reasons.
Pakaku is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:40 PM   #310
williamsk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgm541 View Post
Although not many reasons for me to jailbreak, I know many who will be happy.

What jailbreak tweaks is everyone excited to try on their devices?
I've been holding at iOS5 because I couldn't give up Infinifolders. I don't like having multiple pages of apps, so being able to put more than 9 apps in a folder is huge for me. Don't know if it's been updated for iOS6 yet, though.

I also use Activator to launch a flashlight app from the lockscreen and SBSettings is a nice shortcut for screen brightness or airplane mode. But Infinifolders is definitely the big one.
williamsk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:40 PM   #311
Vanityebonet
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
So you just like voiding your warranty (it does, even if you lie about it and tell Apple you never did), and violating your contract with AT&T (and basically laughing at all of the people who pay the legitimate tethering fee by stealing it yourself instead)?

I'd say just get some free apps and be cool with it! Sounds like you're ok with everything else (even if you rationalize it)....

Dude are you being sarcastic ?
Vanityebonet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:47 PM   #312
iEnvy
macrumors 6502a
 
iEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: DFW
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdallas View Post
If I updated to 6.1 OTA with my iPhone 5 and iPad 3rd Gen, is it safe to jailbreak or do I need to do something before jailbreaking?
Restore through iTunes. OTA are prone to cause errors(as said from the Evad3r team themselves)
__________________
[iPhone 6+ 128GB l RMBP 2.6Ghz/512GB/16GB]
iEnvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:48 PM   #313
MatthewStorm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
There's an update to the jailbreak on Cydia. It does download and install. No idea what it's for...
__________________
Posted via some new Apple Device
MatthewStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:51 PM   #314
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada
Kinda flipping out here, I really hope someone is going to answer my desperate call.
Here's the situation: I decided to restore my iPad mini prior to installing the jailbreak. Once done, I plug into evasi0on and start the download... Things take a bad turn when the progress bar stops, here's what it says: "Injecting stage 2 jailbreak data (step 1/3)". It's been this way for ten minutes here, anyone else having the same problem?

ps: should i unplug my iPad or something?
__________________
APPLE
g0odfr1end102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:51 PM   #315
Ashyukun
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorEaster View Post
Imagine if your Internet provider (such as Verizon FIOS) told you: You can only use 2 devices with their service. Or imagine if they told you: You can't have a 802.11ac router because you'll be consuming data too quickly.
I don't have to imagine it, I've had several providers in the past charge extra (or they would have if they'd known about it...) if you were hooking up your cable modem to a router instead of directly to a computer.

Looking forward to getting home this afternoon so I can finally update my devices to iOS 6.1 but not lose all the useful jailbreak stuff. Hopefully Cydia is behaving well by that point!
__________________
Former Co-host of The Appcast
Black 32GB iPhone 4S, 'Ringo'
32GB Black New iPad, 'Homura'
Ashyukun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:53 PM   #316
Vanityebonet
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
What is considered half a jail break ? Is this not a true jailbreak. I thought untethered meant u can turn the phone on or off without it being connected to the PC
Vanityebonet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:56 PM   #317
i.mac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Free at last! Free at last! Free at last! Thank you lord for we are free at last!
such a worthy quote; such a mundane reason in which to use the quote...
__________________
mac classic, quadra, etc...
i.mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:07 PM   #318
jonnysods
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Aussie living in Canada
Dumb question - but can the 5 be unlocked yet?
__________________
Sodagorn Media
www.sodagorn.com
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:08 PM   #319
chr1s60
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander25 View Post
do you still need to install a fresh copy of iOS 6.1, or does this work if you updated from 6.0.2?

i remember there were people saying that this was necessary
I didn't install a fresh copy and it worked perfect for me when I tested on my old iPhone 4. Will be jailbreaking my 5 soon.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro - White iPad mini - iPod Classic - iPod Nano - White/Silver iPhone 6+
chr1s60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:08 PM   #320
AntDogs
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
this s my first iphone 5 i had.. well i been on android for years but i always heard about jail breaking. now how much benefit is it to jail break? is there a way apple can find out your phone is jail broken?
AntDogs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:11 PM   #321
mrbrown
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ozark, Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to mrbrown Send a message via AIM to mrbrown Send a message via MSN to mrbrown Send a message via Yahoo to mrbrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
Dumb question - but can the 5 be unlocked yet?
Legitimately or through a grey market unlock, yes.

Hacking the baseband, no.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
free apps

...yet no one will ever admit to that on these forums. They will all claim sb settings or theming
How about configuring MMS on Straight Talk without having to resort to a crazy SIM swap method that doesn't work once the phone's reset?
__________________
Mr. Brown - www.mrbrown.net
mrbrown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:13 PM   #322
NedBookPro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earendil View Post
Isn't this like buying a Mustang and saying that Ford "forces" 4 wheels on you? Unless Apple changes something on you after you purchased, Apple forces nothing onto to the consumer.

It is very well know that if you want to fiddle around and dink with a Phone OS, that Android is the way to go. It is for that exact reason that I chose an iPhone, because I do enough dinking around with technology as a career, that my personal devices need to Just Work.
That's not really a good comparison. Most people jailbreak because they want functionality that makes iOS more flexible or customisable. If Ford sold a car where you couldn't change the rims, or brand of the tyres (as per your example), then that would be unacceptable. I think even you would agree with that.

As for android being the way to go for "dinking" with the phone, if they wanted android, they would have got that already. They obviously want iPhone hardware.

I for one, probably won't jailbreak my device, but I can easily see why people would.

Just getting rid of news-stand, stocks, and other "core" apps that never get used is just an example how stubborn, arrogant and inflexible apple can be. It's for those things, for example, that jailbreaking becomes attractive at the very basic level.


.
__________________
'10 MBP 13 iP 4S, iP 4, iP 3GS 2G iPod Touch 5G iPod nano 2G aTV Newton 110
NedBookPro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:16 PM   #323
ghost187
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Someone out there, please let me know when cydia servers are working. Thank you in advance.
ghost187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:17 PM   #324
NedBookPro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesryanbell View Post
General rule of thumb for me:

If I'm paying for "5GB of data", I should be able to use that 5GB *ANY WAY THAT I WANT*. I bought it. That's the end of the discussion.

Tethering should be included.
This is 100% correct in my opinion. If you paid for 5gb data, what would it matter if you tethered a device to use that data?

I really can't see why some people would consider that "stealing".

Luckily we don't have this problem in my country.

.
__________________
'10 MBP 13 iP 4S, iP 4, iP 3GS 2G iPod Touch 5G iPod nano 2G aTV Newton 110
NedBookPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:18 PM   #325
roccobladr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Broken Power Button

Question:

My power button (top one) is broken on my 4S.
Is there any way to jailbreak without the power button?

The only reason I have for jailbreaking is because I have heard that I could reroute the button to something else or at least have a better way of locking the screen other than the floating orb (assist touch)... is there really a better way to lock the screen with the jailbreak??
roccobladr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Evasi0n' Untethered Jailbreak Updated for Newer iPhones, iPads and iOS 7.x [Updated] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 83 Dec 27, 2013 07:03 PM
iPhone: Upgrade from iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone 4S with untethered jailbreak to iOS 6.x? cashonly Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 4 Sep 26, 2013 10:27 AM
iPhone: Are there a untethered iOS 6 jailbreak for iPhone 4? php111 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 Oct 2, 2012 09:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC