macrumors newbie

What about the speeding of driver? Does it handy enough? Thx
bryanmiss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:22 PM   #152
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemineadouble View Post
Me and my friend have designed something along the lines of what has been done here, and launched it on Indiegogo (a crowd funding website):

http://www.indiegogo.com/The-Nifty-M...Pretty-Package
So, I see you've had to back off of making it out of aluminum because of manufacturing concerns — but many of your product shots still show it in aluminum. That could really be seen as misleading, and you should replace with pictures of what you're shipping, not the prototype.

[edit: mea culpa for not reading further before posting: the exterior is still made of aluminum]

Last edited by curmudgeon32; Jan 2, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
curmudgeon32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:42 AM   #153
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon32 View Post
So, I see you've had to back off of making it out of aluminum because of manufacturing concerns — but many of your product shots still show it in aluminum. That could really be seen as misleading, and you should replace with pictures of what you're shipping, not the prototype.
Where did you get that from?

The latest updates don't mention backing off from making it from aluminium, you can even see pictures of the machining process in one of the latest updates (from 2 weeks ago):

Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
pgiguere1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:39 PM   #154
cpjr
macrumors newbie

plastic knockoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw4527 View Post
is there any solution besides the minidrive? seems like a nice solution but a bit pricey at $35
I paid $15, but looks like they are selling for $6 now through kickstarter - theminidrive.com
cpjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:54 PM   #155
jhu2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
I paid $15, but looks like they are selling for $6 now through kickstarter - theminidrive.com
did you get it yet?
jhu2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:44 PM   #156
cpjr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhu2 View Post
did you get it yet?
Yea it came in last week. No problems yet.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:34 AM   #157
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

I am now confused...are these the same companies or two competing companies:

1. http://theminidrive.com/TheMiniDrive.com/Specs.html

2. http://theniftyminidrive.com/

And, if they are two different companies, what are the pros / cons of each.

Joel
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 03:35 PM   #158
cpjr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
I am now confused...are these the same companies or two competing companies:
1. http://theminidrive.com/TheMiniDrive.com/Specs.html
2. http://theniftyminidrive.com/
Joel
I think they are different, #2 is the original.

They are basically the same thing except for price. #1 is plastic and #2 is metal.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:33 PM   #159
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon32 View Post
So, I see you've had to back off of making it out of aluminum because of manufacturing concerns but many of your product shots still show it in aluminum. That could really be seen as misleading, and you should replace with pictures of what you're shipping, not the prototype.
Oops, my mistake, sorry! I read this "The main difference between the prototype and the production model is that we change the casing material of the body from mostly aluminium to an engineering plastic." and was an idiot and didn't read further.
curmudgeon32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:27 AM   #160
lukekarts
macrumors regular

It might be of interest to you guys... I received my Nifty Minidrive Air last Thursday. Did not expect it until this week so haven't currently got a 32GB Mini SDHC card to try, but I'm hopeful it will arrive today.

It does look well made, nice finish, aluminium matches my Air almost perfectly. The fit is not perfectly flush and it doesn't sit 100% straight but I can't see a fault with the Minidrive and actually SD cards never quite fit perfectly in my Air anyway.

When the card arrives I'll let you guys know if it works!
lukekarts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:33 AM   #161
ihonda
macrumors 65816

whats the battery drain like using this
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:10 PM   #162
emartins
macrumors newbie

I just ordered the minidrive and a 64gb mini sd card. Total price was $67 on amazon. I had a $50 gift card so I figured $17 isnt to bad.
emartins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:33 AM   #163
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Very mixed views from those that have received their Minidrives:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...drive/comments

I agree with lukekarts above. It does the job, but the quality's far short of that claimed by the makers in their sporadic Kickstarter updates.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:58 PM   #164
webwbr
macrumors member

Does anybody here have this one for the Raspberry PI?

http://www.adafruit.com/products/966

I don't like it as well as the Nifty (which many seems disappointed in), but it seems nicer than than the minidrive.
webwbr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:25 PM   #165
cpjr
macrumors newbie

anyone try this ?

Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:31 PM   #166
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Is there a TRUSTED place to buy one of those nicer looking ones? I don't really trust KickStart project thing.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:55 AM   #167
JonLa
macrumors 6502

My Nifty Minidrive arrived today.

I've been using a cut down cheap card like the ones mentioned earlier in this thread, complete with bit of tape to pull it in and out, so I've had the extra storage for a while.

I use a 64GB mini SD to store my itunes music library on a 2010 Air - I used Tunespan to split the library between two locations and it worked well with the cut down card.

So - my Minidrive - arrived today, ordered in the early days of the kickstarted. As reported elsewhere, there's slightly too much glue welding the drive to the packaging, but it's akin to the glue that holds cds to music magazines - with a bit of a wrestle you can get it all off.

Other than that it fits well in the slot - a tiny gap between the green of the drive end and the housing above it but I didn't expect it to fill the SD card slot so tightly it was difficult to remove.

And that's it - it works - my itunes library is as fast to access as before, I can write to the card, and I no longer have an ugly chopped down plastic card sticking out of the slot ever so slightly with a bit of tape on the end.
JonLa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:53 PM   #168
JHUFrank
macrumors Demi-God

Still waiting on my Nifty Mini Drive.
JHUFrank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:55 AM   #169
77slevin
macrumors member

Thumbs up Good news

I bought and paid for 2 Nifty mini drives in early September, just after the run ended on Kickstarter. Just got my confirmation mail that they're being shipped to me. Didn't think I would ever get the drives. When ordering, they said delivery would be late December.

Problem 1 with Nifty and customers: Give feedback on the status of their order. I mailed them 3 times asking for estimated delivery times and they never answered.
77slevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:10 AM   #170
macAllen
macrumors regular

When do you guys think the Nifty minidrive will be available to the general public?

From what I can see they can even take care of their backers..

CultofMac says from CES "You can pick one up at the end of the month in Feb/March for $40"
Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/209484/nift...vEL18MBVBrO.99

Im debating if I should just order from their competitor on Amazon, looks like they have one too, with out a cheap pull tab.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFMUT7Q/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
Product Page http://www.theminidrive.com/TheMiniD...ct%28s%29.html
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:29 AM   #171
77slevin
macrumors member

It's been available for everyone since early September. I'm no Kickstarter backer and ordered then.

Just order from their competitor. they started after the Nifty-Kickstarter and are able to deliver since October through Amazon.com. (+ It's cheaper)

Last edited by 77slevin; Feb 21, 2013 at 06:35 AM. Reason: added info.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:37 AM   #172
macAllen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77slevin View Post
It's been available for everyone since early September. I'm no Kickstarter backer and ordered then.
Well sold out. http://theniftyminidrive.com/

I'm asking if anyone has a clue when they'll be back or has ordered the new "The minidrive" one from amazon...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:09 AM   #173
emartins
macrumors newbie

I ordered the one from amazon with a 64gb card and at a $1 a gig that it cost, I couldnt be any happier. I was able to free up 54gb of space off my air. It does have that little tab but the tab does not stick out of the side of the air. Everything is perfectly flush. I didnt care that it was plastic as no one will be able to see it once it was inserted in anyway.

I would recommend it for people who dont want to wait.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:52 AM   #174
77slevin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
I didnt care that it was plastic as no one will be able to see it once it was inserted in anyway.

I would recommend it for people who dont want to wait.
Why does everybody on every forum think that the Nifty drive is made of metal. That was the initial plan, but they changed it to plastic in the course of the Kickstarter-run. This is a quote from the site: "The main difference between the prototype and the production model is that we change the casing material of the body from mostly aluminium to an engineering plastic."

So you did the smart thing, yours was cheaper, faster delivered and of the same quality.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:18 AM   #175
emartins
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77slevin View Post
Why does everybody on every forum think that the Nifty drive is made of metal. That was the initial plan, but they changed it to plastic in the course of the Kickstarter-run. This is a quote from the site: "The main difference between the prototype and the production model is that we change the casing material of the body from mostly aluminium to an engineering plastic."

So you did the smart thing, yours was cheaper, faster delivered and of the same quality.

I didnt realize that they changed it over to plastic. The only advantage I saw was that it did look a little cleaner since they made theirs to sit perfectly flush with the Air. With the one I have it just looks like their is nothing in there at all. At a closer glance you can see the tab.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air