Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mileman2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
I'm using OS X 10.7.5 on an iMac

I just got off the phone with Apple Customer Support, and they were as stumped as I am by this.

The problem: When I am using Finder, List View, and I open a folder which has lots of files, when I try to scroll down the screen to see them, the Finder jumps me back up to the top of the screen.

This happens both when I'm scrolling using the mouse, or when I'm using the scrollbars. So I'm unable to view the files at the bottom of the page for more than a second or two. The arrange button is on "None".

Could some other Preference setting be causing this?

Thanks for any help.

Ted

Last edited by a moderator:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The problem: When I am using Finder, List View, and I open a folder which has lots of files, when I try to scroll down the screen to see them, the Finder jumps me back up to the top of the screen.
Have you tried restarting your Mac? That's a basic first step in troubleshooting.

Mileman2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
I should have said that this has been happening for several weeks, and rebooting has had no effect.

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I posted a bug report about something similar when copying files, and the response was "duplicate of known bug".
Are you sure you don't have list set to sort by date modified, or you're not in "real list" mode but "all files mode" that are sorted by name?

Ensor13

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Jumping folders in List view

I've got the same, very annoying, problem--or if not the same, very similar.

I'm running 10.8.2 on a MacBook Pro Retina. I use List View, and in the finder view options, Arrange by: None.

Here's the hitch: I open the primary Documents folder, in which I have 16 sub-folders, each containing many other sub-sub folders. If I open a succession of sub-folders in search of a particular file, the view suddenly jumps back to the top of the Documents window rather than remaining on the last folder I opened. To find the folder I just opened, I have to scroll down through a succession of already opened folders. It's both disorienting and time-wasting.

I don't recall this ever happening on earlier iterations of OSX. Any fix for this yet?

avava

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Finder jumps to top of page

I have had this problem ever since I have owned the mac, which has been a few years. Extremely annoying, to the point that I hate the mac and the most recent machine I bought was a PC (windows laptop). If anyone finds a solution, please let me know, as this issue makes this machine basically useless in terms of storing and finding files. Rebooting has nothing to do with it. I have not changed any Finder settings.

I am amazed that Mac support is not more interested in this problem as per the previous posts. I thought customer support and customer experience were supposed to be Apple's big strong points?

I have a MacBook, Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Tyblack32310

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
This works for me

Choose one......Name or Kind and i think it unlocks it. I have been stumped by this for years until just now. lol

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-12-08 at 4.36.23 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-12-08 at 4.36.23 PM.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 348
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.