Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:01 PM   #26
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave420 View Post
As he said, there is an option on the phone to invert the colors. If it isn't already assigned to the triple click button you can turn it on in the accessibility settings.
At least there's that option as a workaround of sorts (hopefully just for the time being).
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:43 PM   #27
negro napoleon
macrumors member

They'd have to include a toggle on an option screen or so because I don't trust the ambient sensor to be that aware to not the distinction itself.
negro napoleon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:07 PM   #28
bndoarn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by negro napoleon View Post
They'd have to include a toggle on an option screen or so because I don't trust the ambient sensor to be that aware to not the distinction itself.
They can make it time based. Have the iPhone find out when sun down is using the internet and then automatically switch to night mode at that time.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:45 AM   #29
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502

Can't believe anybody has thought of this before.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:48 AM   #30
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

I think it will be a nice addition as well.

The forumer thinking of inverting the colors is also quite cool, never occurred to me, but I guess it makes sense. Well done!
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:22 AM   #31
dontpannic
macrumors 6502

I'd go so far as it being an essential feature for a navigation app. A bright device is only going to distract you, even on low brightness. With a black background and roads in say, grey, and the brightness down, the viewing isn't distracting.

I'd also like to see a "custom colour" option - here in the UK, Motorways appear on most maps as Blue, Major A roads are Green (also signified on roadsigns). It would be nice to see this replicated on Apple's maps. It would make the map appear a lot more useful.
dontpannic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:15 PM   #32
willcapellaro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankied22 View Post
Good catch OP. How could Apple overlook that?
IMO They were rushing to get Maps out and didn't work smart. I've designed nav interfaces and graphics and it does take extra effort, even though it seems simple. However, once you get the product out, it's time to add features like this. If you don't work smart and you wait until the code and graphics are buried, it becomes a major effort just to dredge up what needs to be changed.

Note Gmaps for iOS still doesn't have night mode either.

I use accessibility options to invert the screen (see settings, accessibility - options for triple tap) and that works in a pinch, otherwise I try not to look at the screen.
willcapellaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:27 PM   #33
willcapellaro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aypues View Post
With any decent nav program I've used, either factory OEM on cars, or purchased in the app store, ALL of them have a Night Mode (dark graphics) to make it easier on your eyes when using navigation at night. I was using Maps to navigate last night and it never went into night mode. Let's add this to the fix list for Apple.

How does this (see graphic) work for you? Note, the picture on the right is is not possible on iOS, but if I can do it in photoshop with 2 layers in a few minutes, they can do this too, by code, whenever the user has the screen inverted. IMO, this should be the common color rendering behavior when using accessibility options to invert colors--people don't really want colors to change, but they do want light/dark to invert.

Unless you really like pink road signs.
willcapellaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:42 PM   #34
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aypues View Post
With any decent nav program I've used, either factory OEM on cars, or purchased in the app store, ALL of them have a Night Mode (dark graphics) to make it easier on your eyes when using navigation at night. I was using Maps to navigate last night and it never went into night mode. Let's add this to the fix list for Apple.
why not just tripple click the home button?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6