Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

php111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
I have the white iPhone 4 32GB with Verizon Wireless, once the untethered JB 6.1 releases, would I be able to unlock my iPhone from the CDMA Verizon carrier network, and transfer to AT&T which is a GSM network? How could I do this? Are there instructions for this?

Thank you,

php111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
No, your iPhone 4 does not have the proper hardware to work on any GSM network.

Thank you for your quick reply! Since unlocking my iPhone to AT&T won't work, are there other ways to use my iPhone on GSM? Or unlocking would be the only way? I really don't want to buy and/or sale iPhones.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Your iPhone 4 physically lacks the needed hardware. Most importantly, a SIM card slot. Thus, it can only ever operate on CDMA networks.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
lacks the SIM card slot and the GSM radio. square peg, round hole.

wont work.....ever. you will need an at&t iphone 4 to use on at&t.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Thank you for your quick reply! Since unlocking my iPhone to AT&T won't work, are there other ways to use my iPhone on GSM?

There are none. It is physically impossible.

Or unlocking would be the only way?

You cannot unlock an iPhone 4 to use GSM networks.

The iPhone CDMA was basically a kludge to get the iPhone on Verizon's CDMA network, because the 4S had such a long way to go before it was released for sale. It has no GSM hardware in it. In its place is CDMA hardware.

Only the 4S universally has both GSM/HSPA hardware and CDMA hardware in every device.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Lol:)
Would I need special glasses to watch the 4D movies or sunglasses would be ok?:D

The microwave oven's built in window should be enough, but if you have sensitive eyes sunglasses should be used to provide an extra bit of retinal protection.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
< lelisa13p pulls up a chair and gets out her box of popcorn, waiting for the show to begin... :D >

yellowsmiliesatthemovieseatingpopco.gif

php111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
< lelisa13p pulls up a chair and gets out her box of popcorn, waiting for the show to begin... :D >

Lol. Maybe I should try this with the microwave here? I'll pull up a chair and wait for the explosion to begin.

php111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Where do you plan on sticking the sim card?:D

Seriously, and honestly, but would you prefer to upgrade from the iPhone 4 to a latest iPhone model that has a SIM slot, and then unlock the newer model? If yes, what's your personal choice of an iPhone model? Also, would I still be able to put the JB on a newer model? Please answer all of my questions. Thank you!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Seriously, and honestly, but would you prefer to upgrade from the iPhone 4 to a latest iPhone model that has a SIM slot, and then unlock the newer model? If yes, what's your personal choice of an iPhone model? Also, would I still be able to put the JB on a newer model? Please answer all of my questions. Thank you!

The only iphone model from Verizon that would work with any gsm sim is the iphone 5.
The iphone 4 as you learned earlier doesnt even have the gsm capabilities, hardware, sim tray and radios installed inside to even acess any GSM network. Just CDMA.
The iphone 4S from verizon can only be unlocked for international use by the carrier. So it wont work with any US domestic networks sim.
To make a very long story short just sell the verizon i4 you have and purchase an iphone either GSM unlocked or one for AT&T if you want to use it on that network.

php111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
The only iphone model from Verizon that would work with any gsm sim is the iphone 5.
The iphone 4 as you learned earlier doesnt even have the gsm capabilities, hardware, sim tray and radios installed inside to even acess any GSM network. Just CDMA.
The iphone 4S from verizon can only be unlocked for international use by the carrier. So it wont work with any US domestic networks sim.
To make a very long story short just sell the verizon i4 you have and purchase an iphone either GSM unlocked or one for AT&T if you want to use it on that network.

Or to get to the bottom of it all. Which is your choice between Verizon vs. AT&T? I probably won't sell the 4. I'll just buy the 5 from Verizon, and wait until July 13th, and use the 5 on the AT&T network, but depending on how you answer between Verizon vs. AT&T.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Or to get to the bottom of it all. Which is your choice between Verizon vs. AT&T? I probably won't sell the 4. I'll just buy the 5 from Verizon, and wait until July 13th, and use the 5 on the AT&T network, but depending on how you answer between Verizon vs. AT&T.

I like AT&T better but its up to you.
Another thing is if you purchase a verizon i5 you can use it on AT&T but you will not be able to access AT&T's LTE network. You will just get 3G and HSPA for data.
You will only get LTE on verizon. Again, different radio bands:)
So figure out what network you want to stick with and get one that will work with them. Cause LTE is nice to have and if its available in your area you will enjoy it. Speed is very fast.

php111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
I like AT&T better but its up to you.
Another thing is if you purchase a verizon i5 you can use it on AT&T but you will not be able to access AT&T's LTE network.
You will only get LTE on verizon. Again, different radio bands:)
So figure out what network you want to stick with and get one that will work with them. Cause LTE is nice to have and if its available in your area you will enjoy it. Speed is very fast.

On the i5, will I still be able to get the JB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.