Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
REALLY? (just happened again lol I had to delete). Thing is, it was on my old iMac, and now I have a new keyboard and it's happening on new iMac ....

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
REALLY? (just happened again lol I had to delete). Thing is, it was on my old iMac, and now I have a new keyboard and it's happening on new iMac ....
Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

Check to see what items are in the following locations:
  • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
    (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
    (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• /Library/StartupItems/

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There are SO many processes running, and it keeps changing the order based on computer usage ...
Please re-read the instructions, especially steps 2 and 4. Steps 5 and 6 will help you upload your screenshots.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
and I think it's a trojan horse from a damn torrent,.
No trojan in the wild produces those symptoms. I'm not familiar with some of those processes. Try shutting down all apps and see if it continues. Did you check the locations I suggested, to see what's automatically launching? Also, try restarting in safe mode and see if it continues.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
What do gyou mean (wow itg's happening gMUCH more ogftegn!) by no trojan in wild produces this?

I've gone through all of my start up apps, they are the right ones that should be starting up ...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What do gyou mean (wow itg's happening gMUCH more ogftegn!) by no trojan in wild produces this?
There is no Mac OS X trojan in the wild that causes the symptoms you're describing. It's not a virus, trojan or any form of malware. It may be an app you're running, or it may be a hardware problem. Try safe mode, as I suggested.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I guess that makes me feel better, although it;'s still QUITE odd that it happened on old and new mac, no? I'll try safe mode and see ...
Any suggestions on things I should take out from startup folder? Like I said, I recognize all the things in there.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I guess that makes me feel better, although it;'s still QUITE odd that it happened on old and new mac, no? I'll try safe mode and see ...
Any suggestions on things I should take out from startup folder? Like I said, I recognize all the things in there.
If you recognize everything and you know they're not contributing to the problem, you can leave them.

One more thing: in launch agents I see some things I don't recognize, but I'm assuming I shouldn't just delete them???: http://o7.no/xpDxrn
For troubleshooting things like this, it's more helpful to use List view in Finder, rather than icon view.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
One more thing: in launch agents I see some things I don't recognize, but I'm assuming I shouldn't just delete them???: http://o7.no/xpDxrn

Restart in Safe Mode by holding the shift key when you start. This will boot without loading any of the startup items. If that fixes the problem, then you know it is a startup item causing this.

If this test shows it is a startup item start removing them until you find the culprit. I would tend to doubt it is any of the Apple startup items on your list.

Last edited:

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I definately remember it starting sgoon after launchging an installer ....

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
stupid torrent.

But if no Trojan horse/virus can do such a thing, how the heck do I get rid of it?!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am curious about the com.uninstallertool.plist in LaunchAgents. Google doesn't shed any light on what that is.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am curious about the com.uninstallertool.plist in LaunchAgents. Google doesn't shed any light on what that is.
Select it in Finder, then press the space bar to view it with Quick Look. Its contents may tell you which app it's associated with.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Uninstall tool referenced "speedupmac" which comes up sometimes on torrent sites. I deleted and am about to re-install. Fingers crossed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.