Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:36 PM   #1
tommy0614
macrumors member

Flight Simulator on iMac

I love flight simulators. I have the microsoft flight simulator X. Would this game run a lot better on a 27 iMac with the 768 ssd as opposed to the iMac with 1tb fusion drive
tommy0614 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy0614 View Post
I love flight simulators. I have the microsoft flight simulator X. Would this game run a lot better on a 27 iMac with the 768 ssd as opposed to the iMac with 1tb fusion drive

No. Graphics card is what is the most important mate. True SSD will help in loading times but not FPS or visual stuff.

You want the top of the line iMac with 680mx graphics. Get that for gaming.
Ddyracer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:10 PM   #3
tommy0614
macrumors member

Thank you
tommy0614 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:34 PM   #4
drambuie
macrumors 6502a

MS FSX doesn't require a powerful graphics card to run at highest settings. It is CPU intensive, as all the frame generation work is done by the CPU. Graphics with 1GB of VRAM is ideal, as more texture storage can improve overall FSX performance. To run FSX on an iMac, the 3.4GHz i7 is the best choice. On my Windows PC I am running FSX off an SSD. FSX loads faster on an SSD, and it does runn smoother. FSX is constantly loading autogen and other graphics which can cause micro-stutters, depending on drive performance, and this is where an SSD helps, but it's not worth the cost of the 768GB SSD. Also, 64 bit Win 7 Pro is the best version of Windows, so far, for running FSX.
drambuie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:43 PM   #5
GreatDrok
macrumors 6502

FSX isn't a good flight sim. I've flown real planes (Cessna and Piper) and found FSX too easy to be realistic, even with a proper yoke and pedals. They had a rig in my flying school and I used it one day when my lesson was cancelled due to bad weather and I was able to do a perfect circuit and landing. No way I would have been able to do that for real at the time. I bought Xplane for my Mac which I found much more realistic, and I also installed FlightGear which I liked for practicing circuits because I could mouse look easily while using my yoke and pedals to actually fly. FSX looks pretty and maybe it can be tweaked to be more realistic but my instructor agreed at the time when I asked him that it wasn't very good and they had Xplane too but some people liked FSX.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:57 PM   #6
crows
macrumors member

+1 for X-Plane I fly for real also and the only thing I don't like about x-plane is the crosswind simulation is exaggerated, aside from that its pretty realistic nothing like the real thing though. FSX is an old simulator and your better off with x-plane IMHO.
crows is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy0614 View Post
Thank you
Glad to help
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac