Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I burned a DVD and want to play it, I see it mounted but it wont play in VLC?

I have a new iMac and no iDVD

Nov 28, 2010
located
Does DVD Player in the Applications folder not work?

And what folders and file types are on the burned DVD, if it is a video DVD at all?
Open a Finder window, select the DVD and expand all folders on that DVD in List View (CMD+2) and make a screenshot and attach it to your next post.

And since you probably use an external DVD player, what model is it exactly?

boat

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2002

VLC should be able to play it, if that's not working it's likely something's wrong with the DVD

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA

iDVD IS NOT FOR PLAYING DVD'S... DVD Player is... If that is not in the application folder download it from apple ( might be an extra to install if on the recovery partition ) or use VLC

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Does DVD Player in the Applications folder not work?

And what folders and file types are on the burned DVD, if it is a video DVD at all?
Open a Finder window, select the DVD and expand all folders on that DVD in List View (CMD+2) and make a screenshot and attach it to your next post.

And since you probably use an external DVD player, what model is it exactly?

I feel so stupid this worked. It didnt auto play so that's why I made the thread figured I needed an app. VLC didn't work for me.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I feel so stupid this worked.

Don't, apple does not have a very obvious documentation... but in principal you can safely assume a mac will do what you want out of the box (within reason).

Use forums to help.

It didnt auto play so that's why I made the thread figured I needed an app. VLC didn't work for me.

You can set autoplay in the Preferences panel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.