Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Well boot time is usually something I care nothing for in OSX (mainly as I need to reboot so rarely).

I have recently been given a rev.A MacbookAir with HDD. The battery is dead so even the slightest disconnection of the power lead causes instant shutdown.

I have taped the magsafe in situ but occasionaly it does trip (also we get the odd micro power cut where I live and I cant afford a UPS).

So my question is what (if anything) can I do to make this little Air boot quicker as currently its a case of turn on - go make coffee - hope its done when I get back :(

What can be done? any tips here would be great please

I know adding a runcore or other such zif SSD would make a difference but again I have ZERO budget until I am well enough to work again.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Ive done the usual verify permissions, remove unnecessary startup items etc. still takes ages - are there system services i can be rid of?

costabunny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Why don't you get the battery replaced? It's not that expensive on Airs. I mean, battery prices are still up there. Better than the $149 I used to pay with an IBM. :/
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/macbook-air-battery-replacements-129-free-install/

cant afford to right now

yes oneday I will; but as I said for now I am off work recovering from cancer surgery and am on a grand income of £71 a week. When I get better and back to work I will definitely get a battery for this little gem, and most likely find a deserving new owner for it (who like myself when in need).

for the time being its a mains only beastie - and a godsend it is indeed (just being able to sit comfortably in bed or my easy chair whilst typing, googling, editing webpages etc is amazing).

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
cant afford to right now

yes oneday I will; but as I said for now I am off work recovering from cancer surgery and am on a grand income of £71 a week. When I get better and back to work I will definitely get a battery for this little gem, and most likely find a deserving new owner for it (who like myself when in need).

for the time being its a mains only beastie - and a godsend it is indeed (just being able to sit comfortably in bed or my easy chair whilst typing, googling, editing webpages etc is amazing).

I just want to say congratulations on the surgery, and I hope your recovery is smooth and full! Really cool of someone to give you a machine to recover with, something similar happened to me after I took a header off a bike. People can be wonderful sometimes :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
cant afford to right now

I'm guessing you've tried a PRAM re-set too...The problem is that an SMC re-set might help, but you can't do it with a dead battery. I'm short on ideas here really expect to try and keep the thing on as much as possible....Without a battery, a lot of things can't be tested / run. Is it hibernating when left alone?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Dumb Q: What does quick boot has anything to do with failing battery?

Answer u already know: No fund = Be Patience.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Dumb Q: What does quick boot has anything to do with failing battery?

Answer u already know: No fund = Be Patience.

possibly not much (other than system talks to battery) - no the issue was because no battery, if the magsafe is knocked the machine resets and as its a 1st gen slowness it takes ages to get back up and finish whatever I was doing before the power outage :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.