Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I used a 2GB model via FW800 for a time (I use a 2GB Time Capsule, now) and it worked fine.

I now have two 4GB models (via FW800) as my iTunes Media library (I mirror them).

Benhama

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2013
Guernsey
I was thinking of purchasing the USB3 2TB version of the Western Digital Studio drive and wondered if anyone had any experiences to share?

Zcev5454

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
I'm using two of them, one wireless via USB and one via Firewire, they work great. Nice drives, very quiet and the auto standby feature works great.

It's wireless with a USB? What's the auto standby feature?

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Has anyone used the USB 3.0 version of this unit with the new iMac? Does it stay connected?

DayVe3000

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
England
I bought the 2TB USB3.0 WD My Book essentials after a nice spot on ukhotdeals - I grabbed the last one in my local Tesco for £44 and its been spot on with my Mac so far.

Has worked spot on with my rMBP for Time Machine.

I havent tested the read write speed - but I can confirm it destroys a USB2.0 pen drive used for moving a few files over.

thepominlaw

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
I used a 2GB model via FW800 for a time (I use a 2GB Time Capsule, now) and it worked fine.

I now have two 4GB models (via FW800) as my iTunes Media library (I mirror them).

Can you mirror two separate drives, I thought I had to buys raid enclosure to do this

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Can you mirror two separate drives, I thought I had to buys raid enclosure to do this

I should have been clearer. I do not mirror the data to each drive at the same time (like RAID 1). I mirror the content from the primary drive to the backup drive using a Carbon Copy Cloner task that runs nightly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.