Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalHerbal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
I have all my data backed up on an external hd via Time Machine. We're travelling with one macbook (not mine) and I'd like to be able to bring (at least some of) my data along to do work. I'm wondering is it advisable to access time machine backups on an external hd connected to a different macbook than the one where the data is coming from? is it even advisable to attempt to access the data on a Time Machine backup other than to restore lost data on a local hd?

i hope I'm making sense here.

any suggestions to help me do what i'm talking about?

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you access that data via Finder and browsing the backups.backupdb folder you should be fine, but make sure to copy the files/folders you want to use out of the backups.backupdb folder before any changes are being done to them.

Time Machine FAQ

You could also look into Dropbox, if you only have less than 2 to 5 GB of data you want to access.

DigitalHerbal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
okay, so copy the data from backupsdb and paste into Pages or whatever?

of course, dropbox. great idea. thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
okay, so copy the data from backupsdb and paste into Pages or whatever?

of course, dropbox. great idea. thanks

No, copy the actual files from the folder you want to use onto the Desktop or wherever you want, as long as that wherever you want is not inside the backups.backupdb folder. Then open and edit the folder from the copied to location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.