Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I can only guess because Apple has not given it to us yet? but then again, Siri works better than s-voice on Android, Samsung in particular.

Apple should also include the option to use voice/siri to turn on bluetooth, Wifi etc, and even open apps etc. I think they have the ability, just that they seem to be dragging their feet to really come out with an incredible device and new iOS, not sure why though.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I can only guess because Apple has not given it to us yet? but then again, Siri works better than s-voice on Android, Samsung in particular.

Apple should also include the option to use voice/siri to turn on bluetooth, Wifi etc, and even open apps etc. I think they have the ability, just that they seem to be dragging their feet to really come out with an incredible device and new iOS, not sure why though.

Why use s-voice as a comparison, when the much better google now is available even on those samsung phones. Google now is much better than siri.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Nope. VM isn't a phone feature. It's a carrier (or other VM provider) feature.

You can disagree all you want but it's not unique to Apple. Take a look at Google. If you disagree with companies that do this then don't use their products.

Way to miss a point. My point was, when someone asks why Siri cannot do simple tasks or why Siri is not working or why Siri is crap in X situation to simple say, after 2 years "It's in beta" is just making an excuse, and ACCEPTING that excuse for Apple failing to bring a quality product to market is funny to me, I never understood why people make excuses for Apples failings.

It has nothing to do with using it. Yeah, Gmail was in beta forever, but you know what, it was still the best web based email out there and improved all the time. Google maps too was in beta...hmmmm and was the best internet mapping program on the market while in beta and improved all the time.

I never once read someone saying gmail is crap...but it is okay its in beta.

The beta thing is an excuse for a poorly implemented and rushed to market product that Apple hangs like a carrot on a stick to get you to buy the newest hardware while offering very little by way of improved services...oh wait, you can get sports scores and buy movies tickets now after two years...wow!

----------

I think you're getting confused between Apple and Google here...

Siri was the only thing in recent history to be a public beta by Apple, and a damn good one at that. Until then, Apple had a no-beta rule.

Lets have a look at other companies shall we? You stated above in not so many words that 2 years is an unacceptable time for a beta, yes? You also stated that "beta is an excuse by Apple for not getting it right". So, how about Google Mail - the lowly webmail provider which started as an invitiation only beta in 2004, public beta in 2007 and finally came out of beta in 2009. I make that FIVE YEARS. But Google Search, that was another one that wasn't released to the public until it was finished. Wasn't it? Set up in 1997, as a beta, Google Search came out of beta in 1999. They were the only two high profile public betas though weren't they? Wrong! Google Apps - set up in 2006, came out of beta in 2009....

Need I go on?

Stop trolling.

Yeah I am trolling, I own 15 Apple devices, I am not a troll, but I am also smart enough to know when something doesn't work. Stop defending Apple like a lemming.

Google has nothing to do with this conversation...and even so, Google didn't offer beta crap products on devices as an incentive as the NUMBER ONE incentive to buy that product did they?

Imagine if people like you stopped defending Apple like it was some little start up and demanded more quality from the software they offered and put market pressure on them to delive. Hmmm, maybe iCloud wouldn't be the crap it is, it iTunes Match would work right. Maybe we would get an update to iWork finally, perhaps Final Cut would not have had the missing features and bugs, perhaps my Aperature wouldn't crash almost every day, maybe the iTunes store on my iPhone wouldn't be the slow buggy hunk of junk that it is. Shall I even touch the bugs and issues in iOS 6, Mountain Lion and Lion...which are no beta products at all?

My point is not to piss on Apple, but rather, the way Apple markets Siri and the reality of its abilities and lack of improvements is pathetic; and for people to just say "its beta" making an excuse for Apple is fanoy at its best.

Trolling ha ha; you know, just because someone as a realistic view of the Apple world doesn't mean they are a troll; not everyone is blind.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Why is it that Siri can't take voicemail messages? Seems kind of like a no brainer don't you think?

What exactly could Siri do to enhance existing VM? You say it's seems like a no brainer but no one in here knows exactly what you mean. If we can't, how would Apple?

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
I'd like that. I don't get voicemails often, but I do hate listening to them. If I don't answer, just call me back at another time or text me.

Couldn't disagree more. If I get a call and I don't recognize the number, I don't pick up. If its important then they leave a message. So that makes voicemail useful. Cuts down on me having to talk to telemarketers and survey takers

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Couldn't disagree more. If I get a call and I don't recognize the number, I don't pick up. If its important then they leave a message. So that makes voicemail useful. Cuts down on me having to talk to telemarketers and survey takers

What annoys me the most is my wife's family likes to call at times when we're either eating dinner, at the movies, getting tattoo's, sleeping, etc. We have are 3hrs ahead, I keep telling the wife they need to learn what a text message is that way we they don't interrupt us.

tedm1969

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
You still haven't said what siri would bring to vm..... without giving a solution to your supposed problem this just seems like another whine/cry thread.

I am in the car today waiting for a metering light to get me on 85 and I noticed I had missed a call and had a voice mail. I wanted to use my voice to open up voice mail and listening to my messages.
Retrieving voice mails on the iPhone 5 requires a lot of clicks and it seems to not work more often than it works.
A month in and this Cupertino boy is highly disappointed with his iPhone. Android seems much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.