Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:21 AM   #101
rodo974
macrumors newbie

Osx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelt View Post
Just an FYI regarding booting my mid-2011 27" i7 from the new 256GB LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt SSD. In short, it works perfectly so far, and no surgery required (edit; 2.5 months - rock solid through may sleep cycles...). It wakes from sleep without issues. I now used SuperDuper to mirror the SSD to the old HD boot partition once a week (in addition to TM and my other backups...). I'll report back periodically with updates.

I also enabled TRIM using Trim Enabler and a re-boot...

Blackmagic 1GB: W 250 MB/s R 378 MB/s (HDD ~90 and 95)

Boot Time to Login: 19.4s (was 90.1s with HDD)
Lightroom 4.2: 4.1s (was 14.7s)
Parallels XP Boot: 9.4s (was 45.8s)
iPhoto: 4.7s (was 14.7s)
Photoshop Load: 5.3s (was 12.7s)

While not as fast as a best in class internal 6GB SATA3 SSD, it's certainly an easy way to move to an SSD environment. I just rubber banded the drive to the back of my iMac after removing the orange bumper. No power required.

If stable, this is a cheaper and more compact external 256GB option than the GoFlex STAE122 + SSD + cable combo (~$420). The LaCie is $349 including the TB and USB3 cables.

My rugged 256 Go will arrived soon on my new imac 27 i7.
I read there is problem when external SSD wakes from sleep.
you said your imac wakes from sleep without issue, what version of MAC OSX do you use (10.6 10.7 10.8) ?
rodo974 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:03 AM   #102
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

By using the "LaCie Rugged SSD" to boot up the computer, will this extend the life of my 1TB harddrive in my 2012 27 inch iMac? Thanks!
beeinformed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:56 AM   #103
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeinformed View Post
By using the "LaCie Rugged SSD" to boot up the computer, will this extend the life of my 1TB harddrive in my 2012 27 inch iMac? Thanks!
Probably won't make any difference. Drive is still powered up, spinning, and Spotlight continues to index the drive.
g4cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:13 PM   #104
xgman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Are you really worried about this?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:19 PM   #105
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4cube View Post
Probably won't make any difference. Drive is still powered up, spinning, and Spotlight continues to index the drive.
Actually, that's not true, necessarily. First, the internal drive does spin down when not in use, and second, - if you want to be hardcore - you can disable Spotlight for the internal disk. My internal disk only spins up on boot and when I access it, which is infrequently.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:21 PM   #106
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Actually, that's not true, necessarily. First, the internal drive does spin down when not in use, and second, - if you want to be hardcore - you can disable Spotlight for the internal disk. My internal disk only spins up on boot and when I access it, which is infrequently.
I come from the school of "spinning up/down of drive is more stressful than constant on". Anecdotal evidence of the drives in my home. I have many in computers, DVRs, and in external drives (singles and in arrays).

Only two premature failure - one a 30MB Micropolis in the 80s in desktop PC; the other a 100GB in a fairly new desktop a few years ago. I have extraordinary good luck with my drives. Other failures after several years of constant use.

Both premature failures occurred during spin-up from sleeping.

I'm not complaining at all. I've had extraordinary good luck with my drives, and I have quite a collection.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:26 PM   #107
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4cube View Post
I come from the school of "spinning up/down of drive is more stressful than constant on". Anecdotal evidence of the drives in my home. I have many in computers, DVRs, and in external drives (singles and in arrays).

Only two premature failure - one a 30MB Micropolis in the 80s in desktop PC; the other a 100GB in a fairly new desktop a few years ago. I have extraordinary good luck with my drives. Other failures after several years of constant use.

Both premature failures occurred during spin-up from sleeping.

I'm not complaining at all. I've had extraordinary good luck with my drives, and I have quite a collection.
I've never been able to provide any evidence to support that case, but of course our own personal experiences shape our beliefs, - can't argue with that.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:39 PM   #108
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I was thinking similar thoughts about the internal harddrive, that when it is not in use, it spins down.

My thoughts were to use an external SSD to boot up my imac computer with Moutain Lion OS and applications (I don't have many applications on my imac) installed on it. I would have my data/documents/photos,etc installed on the internal harddrive.

I thought this type of setup might eleviate some stress on the internal harddrive, although I'm probably wrong about it and this setup may not be a workable solution.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:07 AM   #109
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
I was thinking similar thoughts about the internal harddrive, that when it is not in use, it spins down.

My thoughts were to use an external SSD to boot up my imac computer with Moutain Lion OS and applications (I don't have many applications on my imac) installed on it. I would have my data/documents/photos,etc installed on the internal harddrive.

I thought this type of setup might eleviate some stress on the internal harddrive, although I'm probably wrong about it and this setup may not be a workable solution.
It's a perfectly workable solution. I've been doing that for almost 2 months now with my 2012 27" iMac + Thunderbolt SSD.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:32 PM   #110
shelt
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo974 View Post
you said your imac wakes from sleep without issue, what version of MAC OSX do you use (10.6 10.7 10.8) ?
I am on 10.8.2. I have been booting from the Lacie 256GB for 2 months now. Absolutely zero issues. Very happy with the setup. I also enabled trim with trim enabler.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:56 PM   #111
sam3020
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelt View Post
I am on 10.8.2. I have been booting from the Lacie 256GB for 2 months now. Absolutely zero issues. Very happy with the setup. I also enabled trim with trim enabler.
What does enabling trim actually do?
sam3020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:36 AM   #112
lloyd709
Banned

Using the USB 3 port?

Anyone know if you can you use the usb3 port while plugged into your computer using Thunderbolt so it becomes a sort of hub?

I guess there might be power issues for things that need power!
lloyd709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:18 AM   #113
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd709 View Post
Anyone know if you can you use the usb3 port while plugged into your computer using Thunderbolt so it becomes a sort of hub?

I guess there might be power issues for things that need power!
Nope.

Whichever port is connected first determines which port works.

One or the other, but not both.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:15 PM   #114
Nyvar
macrumors newbie

I have an 2011 3.4 i7 Apple 128 SSD, and didn't want to spring for a new 2012 just because I wanted (note wanted not needed) more speed. I'd thought about sending it to OWC to have them add an SSD, but decided to try this route first. I tried both the Lacie, and a Samsung 840 Pro using the Seagate TB adapter.

Using Blackmagic Apple and Lacie were about the same write speeds, Lacie half again as fast on read. Samsung was more than twice as fast on write and slightly higher on read.

I was going to trim through console, then discovered it can't be enabled on an external. I'm not worried about it. If I figure it out, I'll report back. I'm going to stick with the Samsung but holding on to the Lacie for now as a back up.

Here are the screenshots:

Apple

Click image for larger version

Name:	DiskSpeedTestapplessdc.png
Views:	48
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	395843

Lacie

Name:	DiskSpeedTest 2 5 Laciec.png
Views:	51
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	395844

Samsung

Name:	DiskSpeedTestSamsung840c.png
Views:	51
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	395845

Last edited by Nyvar; Feb 10, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
Nyvar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:08 AM   #115
WizardHunt
macrumors Demi-God

When I got my iMac I immediately ordered a Lacie SSD 256GB Drive and hooked it up to my new iMac. I did a restore from Time Machine and I am all set. I do notice a huge difference. Photoshop now only takes about 4.2 seconds to open when in the past it was 30-45 seconds on my 2009 machine.

Here is a Disk Speed Test and before I bought my iMac on my 2009 my speeds was only like Write 136 MB/s and Read 133 MB/s. Then when I got my new iMac it as like 186.5 MB/s Write and 183.5 MB/s Read. But now after converting to a Fusion Drive, (a much larger one than Apple does) i got 287.2 MB/s Write and 376.3 MB/s Read. Much faster.

Here's the Link.
Bought: 2014 27" Retina iMac Fully Loaded Oct 16 @ 11:30 AM PST Express Shipping
WizardHunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:22 AM   #116
WizardHunt
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo974 View Post
I just installed my SSD 256 GB Lacie drive and i have no waking up from sleep problems at all.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyvar View Post

I enabled trim through console. I'm going to stick with the Samsung but holding on to the Lacie for now as a back up.
What are you talking about exactly when you say you enabled trim through the console? Can you explain how to enable trim and what it does for you?
Bought: 2014 27" Retina iMac Fully Loaded Oct 16 @ 11:30 AM PST Express Shipping
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:30 PM   #117
freddiecable
macrumors 6502

I have an external SSD for my i7 2,93 (2009 iMac). Read and write 30 MB (USB2)

Here is the screen dump from the same test on my MBA i7 512 SSD.

I'm really disappointed in Apple not offering us 256 or 512 SSD ONLY 768 for a fortune

I had the SSD installed but I got kernel panics all the time so I took it out and put it in an external 2.5" USB2. I might as well just use the internal 3.5" spinning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DiskSpeedTest_MBA_2.0_i7.png
Views:	24
Size:	740.1 KB
ID:	395989  
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:17 PM   #118
Nyvar
macrumors newbie

Quote:
What are you talking about exactly when you say you enabled trim through the console? Can you explain how to enable trim and what it does for you?
I lied, and had to edit my post. I made the post and then went to enable it, and discovered I couldn't.

I'd enabled trim (the need is controversial it's "garbage collecting") on ssds before but they'd been ones I'd installed in mbps. Apparently it can't be done (at least using code in the console) to an external drive.

Sorry for the confusion.

N
Nyvar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:55 PM   #119
WizardHunt
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I lied, and had to edit my post. I made the post and then went to enable it, and discovered I couldn't.

I'd enabled trim (the need is controversial it's "garbage collecting") on ssds before but they'd been ones I'd installed in mbps. Apparently it can't be done (at least using code in the console) to an external drive.

Sorry for the confusion.

N
Not a problem.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:31 AM   #120
mario24601
macrumors regular

Quote:
I have an 2011 3.4 i7 Apple 128 SSD, and didn't want to spring for a new 2012 just because I wanted (note wanted not needed) more speed. I'd thought about sending it to OWC to have them add an SSD, but decided to try this route first. I tried both the Lacie, and a Samsung 840 Pro using the Seagate TB adapter.

Using Blackmagic Apple and Lacie were about the same write speeds, Lacie half again as fast on read. Samsung was more than twice as fast on write and slightly higher on read.

I was going to trim through console, then discovered it can't be enabled on an external. I'm not worried about it. If I figure it out, I'll report back. I'm going to stick with the Samsung but holding on to the Lacie for now as a back up.

Here are the screenshots:

Apple

Attachment 395843

Lacie

Attachment 395844

Samsung

Attachment 395845
Using Seagate desktop or bus powered?
mario24601 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:52 AM   #121
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardHunt View Post
I just installed my SSD 256 GB Lacie drive and i have no waking up from sleep problems at all.

----------

On your SSD 256 GB Lacie drive, besides the operating system, do you also have your applications/documents/downloads installed on it as well? Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:43 AM   #122
sam3020
macrumors 6502

Quote:
On your SSD 256 GB Lacie drive, besides the operating system, do you also have your applications/documents/downloads installed on it as well? Thanks!
I have my operating system, applications, documents, downloads, music everything on mine. I seriously recommend if you have an imac with a normal hdd you will not be disappointed. The performance difference is insane
sam3020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:01 PM   #123
WizardHunt
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

On my setup, I have all my stuff...applications, Documents, pictures,including downloads... etc all on the SSD drive. It is my boot drive so I assume that it is all loaded on the ssd drive and judging that my PS CS5 Extended now loads in about 4 seconds I feel that it is on my SSD now.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:38 AM   #124
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardHunt View Post
On my setup, I have all my stuff...applications, Documents, pictures,including downloads... etc all on the SSD drive. It is my boot drive so I assume that it is all loaded on the ssd drive and judging that my PS CS5 Extended now loads in about 4 seconds I feel that it is on my SSD now.
Thank's for answering my question! I have another question (which probably sounds silly) but does the cable that's connected to the LaCie external drive and goes into the thunderbolt port of the iMac, is it secure enough where it won't come out of that port? Thanks!

Last edited by beeinformed; Feb 12, 2013 at 02:39 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:24 AM   #125
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thank's for answering my question! I have another question (which probably sounds silly) but does the cable that's connected to the LaCie external drive and goes into the thunderbolt port of the iMac, is it secure enough where it won't come out of that port? Thanks!
It is a friction fit like any other cable. there is nothing to restrain it from inadvertent removal. It is fairly tight, and does have a built-in detent and inserts fairly deep.

Nothing to worry about.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac