Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkoerber

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Removed the bad link. Go instead to http://support.apple.com/downloads/ and manually find Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 12. Currently it is the first download available. Do not click the link for the support article. It will take you to the old Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 11. You have to click the Download button to receive Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 12. Or check Software Update.

Thanks for the followup post fahlman. As a busy software company owner, I rarely have time to fiddle with these issues. Was able to generate my Java keys during the downtime period by booting into my Win7 virtual machine under Parallels. But I am a much happier puppy when I can do everything I need in 10.6.8. Just installed the new Java update via software update, but also saw it in the SUPPORT tab on Apple's site.

Cheers!

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Does anyone have any ideas how to hack this to run on 10.7+? We have some legacy applications that require Java 6 and have users on 10.7. I assume Adobe's Java 7 doesn't work on 10.6.8 which prompted this release, but it ONLY works on 10.6.8. :/

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1573

When I started up Photoshop CS3 for the first time in Mountain Lion, it automatically offered to download Java 6 for local use. Otherwise, it wouldn't run correctly. It uses Java7 for internet sites, though.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
good lord I am so sick of this!
I have spent 25% of my time updating Java on machines at work for the past 2 months. Can't Oracle at least give us an MSI so we can install it by group policy on the windows boxes?
grrrrrr

lukasz74nj

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Why does Apple hate Java so much?

Why does Apple make it more difficult, day by day, to use Java on OS X? And it's a shame that they are trying to force prospective developers to use an antiquated Objective-C language.:mad:

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
That's correct. The command line tools are for DEVELOPERS. To update the command line tools, you need to install the JDK, not just the JRE. If you only install the JRE, then the command line tools will remain the same.

----------

There is no Java 6 update for Lion or Mountain Lion. Java 6 is EOL. Oracle and Apple will completely abandon it at the end of the month.

Ah, I see.

I'm not much in the know about such things. All I know is that some unix-style software I use supposedly needed java so I was prompted to instal Java 6 from Apple. Now it goes unupdated on ML when SL gets an update?

How to uninstall and get Java 7? I'm not sure my stuff will even use Java7.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
There is no Java 6 update for Lion or Mountain Lion. Java 6 is EOL. Oracle and Apple will completely abandon it at the end of the month.

How odd that I got a Java 6 update on my Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard just before I bought the Mountain Lion update for it last week. I guess I imagined that security update.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
How to uninstall and get Java 7? I'm not sure my stuff will even use Java7.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13536667/how-to-install-java-jdk-7-on-snow-leopard

----------

How odd that I got a Java 6 update on my Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard just before I bought the Mountain Lion update for it last week. I guess I imagined that security update.

You can't find a recent patch if you're already using Lion or Mountain Lion. Patching on SL and then upgrading doesn't count.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Microsoft and Google implicitly pay for the production of propaganda against Apple by funding the computer security industry via sponsorships of hacking contests and conferences. Researchers don't bite the hands that feed them. This is a common bias in all types of research.

Here is an actual example of the point I'm making above.

CVE-2013-0634 is a vulnerability affecting OS X supposedly being exploited in the wild.

But the sample of that exploit was simply extracted from the exploit affecting Windows and contains no payloads affecting OS X.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 52
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.