Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Hi, I have a iMac Mid 2010 model. It has 1TB internal drive, but its kind of slow. So, I would like to attach a SSD drive and let the apps and OS work from the SSD then .

Yesterday I called my local Apple guy and asked him to open the machine .
I already bought a Crucial m4 256GB SSD . But we saw that, there is no extra contact for attaching an additional drive. We took out the super drive , but the contacts dont match with the SSD contacts.

So, whats the best way to do it ?

Do we need to get some extra conversion wire kit to attach somewhere ?

IM tired of Apple limitations.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
If you read the link you need the adapter kit and cable for the optical bay.
As for replacing the SATA drive it should have been a simple swap.

You should be tired of your apple guy's limitations.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
I dont want to replace my current SATA .

I know, its simple, if I do that way. But I want to use my SATA and SSD both.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
You HAVE to use an adapter to put any SATA drive into the optical bay. The first response linked a site that said as much. Here is another option. Either options allows you to have 2 SATA drives in your iMac (at the expense of the optical drive).

That the iMac is not a Mac Pro is by design and not a "limitation". That third parties offer workarounds is a blessing.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Ok then if you can just reply my question :

1. So, I simply get this and remove my super drive. Place this one in place of the super drive. And it has slot for placing the SSD I have.

Then it has its own contacts to attach the SSD and it has its own contacts to connect to the contacts hanging near the super drive in an iMac ?

Do we need do to anything else ?

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Ok what I understood is :

1. Open the iMac.
2. Take out the SATA Drive, by taking out its contacts and power cord.
3. Take out the super drive.
4. Place the SATA drive inside the Optibay. [Here the question is, has the OptiBay got all contacts for the SATA drive and what about the power cord for the SATA ?]
5. And place the SSD in the old SATA drive location, by attaching to glue or sticks ?

dangerly

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2009
European Dis-Union
Ok what I understood is :

1. Open the iMac.
2. Take out the SATA Drive, by taking out its contacts and power cord.
3. Take out the super drive.
4. Place the SATA drive inside the Optibay. [Here the question is, has the OptiBay got all contacts for the SATA drive and what about the power cord for the SATA ?]
5. And place the SSD in the old SATA drive location, by attaching to glue or sticks ?

Take a look at iFixit guide for installing a second HDD in a 27" iMac, the procedure will be the same for the installa tion of SSD:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2309+and+2374+Dual+Hard+Drive/8955/1

Bacci

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
I bought the kit, but I guess if you have a lot of the tools already you could buy them separately.

Instructions can be found
here, that will answer your cable questions too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.