Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Ak907Freerider
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Sell or keep 2011 iMac ?

Ok debating on selling my bto 27 inch iMac. It has a 3.4 i7 1 terabyte hdd and the 1 gig video card. I have been seeing them go for around $1700 and debating on selling to go to either a new 2012 iMac or MacBook Pro. Mostly want it for the USB 3.0 and fusion drive think I should hold off and enjoy this machine or is it time to sell. I mostly use it for hd video editing so that's why I want USB 3.0. Since thunderbolt is over priced. It has 2.5 years of AppleCare left.

Last edited by Ak907Freerider; Feb 4, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Ak907Freerider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2
WizardHunt
macrumors Demi-God
 
WizardHunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak907Freerider View Post
Ok debating on selling my bto 27 inch iMac. It has a 3.4 i7 1 terabyte hdd and the 1 gig video card. I have been seeing them go for around $1700 and debating on selling to go to either a new 2012 iMac or MacBook Pro. Mostly want it for the USB 3.0 and fusion drive think I should hold off and enjoy this machine or is it time to sell. I mostly use it for hd video editing so that's why I want USB 3.0. Since thunderbolt is over priced. It has 2.5 years of AppleCare left.
well you have it now. You may not get what you want out of it. But it all depends on how badly you want the newer iMac with the 3.0 USB's and Fusion drive. So its up to you.
__________________
Bought: 2014 27" Retina iMac 4.0GHz i7,32GB Ram, 1TB SSD Drive,M295X 4Gb - Express Shipping coming Oct 22, 10:30 AM PST
WizardHunt is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Dr Charter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak907Freerider View Post
Ok debating on selling my bto 27 inch iMac. It has a 3.4 i7 1 terabyte hdd and the 1 gig video card. I have been seeing them go for around $1700 and debating on selling to go to either a new 2012 iMac or MacBook Pro. Mostly want it for the USB 3.0 and fusion drive think I should hold off and enjoy this machine or is it time to sell. I mostly use it for hd video editing so that's why I want USB 3.0. Since thunderbolt is over priced. It has 2.5 years of AppleCare left.
Thunderbolt might be overpriced but wouldn't you save money by just buying one or two of those drives instead of getting a whole new computer just for USB 3.0 and a fusion drive? Even if you got $1700, it still seems like you'd lose money on the deal if you bought a similarly featured 2012 iMac.
Dr Charter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:39 AM   #4
Ak907Freerider
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
That's true I have debated that fusion just sounds easier to deal with. Maybe hold off and hope ssd price drops along with thunderbolt cables
Ak907Freerider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:49 AM   #5
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000
 
tom vilsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ladner cdn
-yours is easy to upgrade compared to new ones...put in a ssd and use your hd as external storage
-yours has a dvd player (still handy for certain projects)
-no worries about getting new one with yellowish screen,image ghosting,fan issues

keep yours.
tom vilsack is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:03 AM   #6
trustever
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom vilsack View Post
-yours is easy to upgrade compared to new ones...put in a ssd and use your hd as external storage
-yours has a dvd player (still handy for certain projects)
-no worries about getting new one with yellowish screen,image ghosting,fan issues

keep yours.
+1 here, keep what you have, open it up and add the SSD of your choise and be merry!
trustever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:28 AM   #7
Ak907Freerider
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Don't want to void my AppleCare if something goes wrong not going to open it
Ak907Freerider is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Sell or Not to Sell - iMac 27" Mid-2011 Foreverbfc Buying Tips and Advice 0 Feb 5, 2013 12:12 PM
Best way to sell a MBP 2011 vjicecool MacBook Pro 11 Aug 12, 2012 08:14 PM
Best place to sell a 2011 iMac? majordude Buying Tips and Advice 6 Jul 24, 2012 09:38 PM
Possible to sell my iMac 2011 with Lion installed? jabingla2810 iMac 2 Jun 21, 2012 02:02 AM
Sell Early 2011 MBP - but where's the best place to sell (UK)? iBrody Buying Tips and Advice 7 Jun 16, 2012 01:45 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC