Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 27, 2010, 04:23 PM   #26
Hammie
macrumors 65816

I have an old 20" SDTV that I was going to put an Apple TV on so I can stream my ripped DVD's to, but since it only has a Composite video, I have not found a cost effective solution. I do not plan on buying a new TV since it only is used with DVD's when my wife does her school work. I guess I will look for a cheap old TV.
Hammie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 04:40 PM   #27
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyotte View Post
I just bought the new Apple TV, but I dont have an HDMI port on my TV. I do have a DVI with 2 audio Jacks, Component, Composite video jacks.

What are my options?
Not much. The video is easy to convert, but the audio is another story. Your best bet would be to find a cheap audio receiver with optical inputs, and connect the audio up that way. Many will then have analog audio outputs that you can use.

TEG
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:14 AM   #28
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
Not much. The video is easy to convert, but the audio is another story. Your best bet would be to find a cheap audio receiver with optical inputs, and connect the audio up that way. Many will then have analog audio outputs that you can use.

TEG
Actually, the audio is easy:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 04:41 AM   #29
NogbadTheBad
macrumors regular

Can do HDMI to component and audio with one of these :-

http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/HDfury3manual.pdf
NogbadTheBad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:55 AM   #30
scottt
macrumors newbie

The new Apple TV is shipping and you really, really want one. You think this is perfect for your old television, but then you realize you donít have an HDMI or component input. But you really, really want one.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 02:25 PM   #31
stevenb
macrumors member

I will let you know if mine works in a few days...

I just bought an Apple TV2 and just waiting for one cable to arrive. I have an old Sony CRT 36XBR800 and no HDMI, but it does have a DVI and component audio connections (red and white RCA). I got an HDMI to DVI cable and an optical digital audio cable. They have converters on Amazon that will convert the optical audio to component red and white RCA. That is how I am going to hook-up and then stream. My TV said it is HDCP compatible, so we will see. It was made in 2002-2003. It has a max resolution of 1080i and is 4:3, not 1080p and 16x9. I am not too sure what resolution I am going to get. Some people have said only 480p and black bars on all four sides. Some say 720p and only upper and lower black bars. If I get 720p, I will end up with about a 33 inch 16x9 picture, which I am ok with at this time. Total cost for the Apple TV, cables and audio converter was a little less that $200.00. If this does not work the way I want, I am going with a new TV, Sony KDL55NX810, as the picture is beautiful. They were down to $2,399.00 on Amazon with no sales tax and free shipping. I have heard good things about the Panasonic VT25, but not too sure about going plasma instead of LCD/LED. I will update in a week or so.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 05:39 PM   #32
yankintx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom_Edwards View Post
Let me make sure I am understanding this... If my non-high definition TV has component connections, then tv will work? Also, assuming now it does work, does it have the normal "black bars" at the top and bottom of the screen when showing wide-screen media?

I love the concept of the tv, but haven't found the need (or real desire) to get an HDTV--my Samsung square-screen is still doing just fine for my needs. I would love to get one, but haven't because all this time I thought it required an HDTV to work. Please tell me I am ignorant and I should go get one right now!
I did not see the need either....until the cable guy who was at my home hooked up a hd box during a football game. That green blur of a field is now individual blades of grass. I watch no non hd channels now.
yankintx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:37 PM   #33
Spinjack
macrumors newbie

So, do we have a solution for the new ATV (only an HDMI output)?

I tried to use a Composite Scaler from Gefen with no success. A call to Gefen's tech support informed me that most scalers will not pass HDCP signals, which the ATV most likely uses. A/V Receivers will upscale to HDMI but don't downscale.

This has to be a problem for a very large number of people. Is there even a solution out there?

Edit: Just got off the phone with Apple Tech support. Apple offers no solution.

Last edited by Spinjack; Jan 24, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Spinjack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:58 AM   #34
thetruth1985
macrumors 6502

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-Compo...5942245&sr=8-1

I can personally vouch for this product as I have it connected to my projector right now (component input)
thetruth1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 09:31 AM   #35
Spinjack
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth1985 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-Compo...5942245&sr=8-1

I can personally vouch for this product as I have it connected to my projector right now (component input)
Using Apple TV (the new one)?
Spinjack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2011, 06:39 AM   #36
FreedomHD
macrumors newbie

I have both ATV1 and ATV2, i finally ended up buying HDfury to give a new life to my Mits 65 in RPTV and it works flawlessfully, no more HDCP issue at all and excellent picture quality.
FreedomHD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 04:48 PM   #37
thetruth1985
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinjack View Post
Using Apple TV (the new one)?
Yes, the new one.
thetruth1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:04 PM   #38
kclou3357
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
And I hate necroposting

Oy...

but, who wants to watch only SD on an ATV? Old OR new?
Po People
kclou3357 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:52 PM   #39
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

I use this one. Works great. Plug hdmi in from ATV2 to the converter, then plug RCA audio and either RCA video or S-Video from converter to your older TV.

TVs last a long time. Better to spend $50 to bring the ATV functionality to an old TV then spend many hundreds or $1k+ on a new TV when you don't need one.
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:39 AM   #40
RobertGlotzbach
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by renninge View Post
Of course they are compatible with the Red/White/Yellow...
all you need to about $10 of HDMI/DVI adapters from ebay.
with the procedure described here: http://www.appletvhacks.net/2007/10/...-video-output/

I've been using my AppleTV (2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.1) since January using this.
Works perfect. Only downside, everytime it reboots you need to do the 10sec procedure.

Sorry to resurrect this very old tread, but I have a question related to the well known hack.
I tried to hook up my sony trinitron, it gives a black and white image for just a few seconds (Apple logo) then it seems to be cut off. Does this sound familiar to any one, not sure if its the apple tv1 or my sony tv?

Thanks for helping.
Kind regards, Robert
RobertGlotzbach is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater