Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:57 AM   #1
jaczor
macrumors newbie

Can't download OSX from App Store: "OS X Mountain Lion is not compatible with..."

Hi, I bought a Mac Mini last saturday, had some problems setting it up with my Time Machine backup but after a fresh install everything is well, except for the fact that I can't download OSX ML from the App Store to make a bootable USB drive.

When I try to purchase it (which is odd because I already paid for it when I bought this mac), I get this: "We could not complete your purchase. OS X Mountain Lion is not compatible with this computer.".

Has anyone had this problem? is there a way to fix it? I tried Apple support but they couldn't figure it out, the only option they gave me was to do a restart, then hold cmd r and install it from there on my usb drive, but this will take a long time and I have to be quick to stop it after it finishes the download because after it is installed it deletes itself.

I could just download it from a torrent site though, would this cause any issues because it's "pirated" or does it work the same as the "legit" one would?

Thanks
jaczor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:02 AM   #2
mdgm
macrumors 6502a

Mac models that have always shipped with Mountain Lion installed can't use the App Store installer.

You do have to do recovery. Install onto a USB disk. When the Mac reboots quickly turn the Mac off and remove the USB disk. Then power on normally and once the Mac has booted reconnect the USB disk. The .dmg should be on the USB disk.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:02 AM   #3
costabunny
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
I seem to remember the shipped version of ML with new minis differs slightly from the retail version so perhaps thats why?

Maybe in time it will be updated?

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:05 AM   #4
mdgm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by costabunny View Post
I seem to remember the shipped version of ML with new minis differs slightly from the retail version so perhaps thats why?

Maybe in time it will be updated?
Yes that would be why. Once 10.8.3 comes out if that's a build for all models then it might work, but not with the current special build situation. If you keep an eye on it you can still get the .dmg doing Internet Recovery
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:33 AM   #5
jaczor
macrumors newbie

How is it different than the normal retail version?
jaczor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:54 PM   #6
mdgm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaczor View Post
How is it different than the normal retail version?
Special build with drivers etc. for the new machines.

Once a new build 10.8.3 is made hopefully drivers etc. for all machines will be included and this build will be put on the App Store. Currently 10.8.2 is what is available at the App Store.

The build you download from recovery ATM will probably only work on the new machines it was made for.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:49 AM   #7
pgrif
macrumors regular

Problems D'Ling ML from App Store

I've been having no success trying to DL ML from the App store. I have a 2012 MBP and understand that I am due a free copy if I want one. But every time I try to get it the store pops up a message that says that I have "Updates available for other accounts" and then says the account belongs to:
agarwalshantanu6@gmail.com. This is not me nor is it anyone I know.
Anyway I don't get the download(or anything else) because my account appears to be locked.
Anybody else have this problem?
pgrif is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:37 AM   #8
xlii
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrif View Post
I've been having no success trying to DL ML from the App store. I have a 2012 MBP and understand that I am due a free copy if I want one. But every time I try to get it the store pops up a message that says that I have "Updates available for other accounts" and then says the account belongs to:
Anyway I don't get the download(or anything else) because my account appears to be locked.
Where did you buy your machine? It sounds like your machine had a previous owner who's Apple ID is blocking you because you don't know it's password. If you bought this new... someone gave you a used machine instead. Give us more info so we can advise you.
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:53 AM   #9
chrfr
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrif View Post
But every time I try to get it the store pops up a message that says that I have "Updates available for other accounts" and then says the account belongs to:
Your account isn't locked. The error message is correct; you have apps on your computer purchased with another account. This commonly happens when you have pirated apps on your computer. Delete those and the App Store will work properly.
EDIT: Searching for that email address in Google seems to indicate you have a Mountain Lion installer already downloaded somewhere on your computer- delete that. (It checks external disks too.)
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini