Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
Hi All,

My iPhone died last weekend :(

It was backed up to iCloud whilst still running 6.0.1, during the time that my phone has been away Apple has release 6.1.

I have had previous experience of iOS 5 iCloud backups not being available to a different version of iOS.

Could someone confirm if their 6.0.1 backups were available to backup from and/or worked successfully?

I'm worried that they will upgrade to 6.1 and I will lose the ability to restore my phone.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Backups are backwards compatible. So as long as you are restoring to an iOS the same or newer than the backup version you will be fine.

I can only imagine the problem you havd in the past was trying to restore a newer backup to an older iOS version (backup 5.2 to 5.1 maybe)

It has to be like this or people would never be able to restore a backup of previous devices on new devices when they upgrade. I.e. iphone 3g is still on 4.2.2 but I could use the backup from that to restore to an iphone 5 on 6.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.