Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:17 AM   #1
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

What to do with too-cheap Windows laptop?

Instead of paying for Windows to boot camp my Air, and an external monitor because the 11" display is too small, I bought a 15" Windows 7 laptop (I can't remember what brand) with 6Gb RAM and a crappy netbook-class AMD Vision processor. It cost less than the boot camp + display option, but taking nearly a second to register a mouse click has me tearing out my hair. Even though right click doesn't work properly with my Air touchpad, requiring a separate mouse, that's still much less frustrating than a glacially slow laptop. I tried putting Ubuntu onto it to see if that was better, but it was just as slow, leading me to believe the processor is the problem.

Binning it seems like a waste, and giving it away is cruel, so what could I do with it?
rbrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:01 AM   #2
Holmes093
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrian View Post
Instead of paying for Windows to boot camp my Air, and an external monitor because the 11" display is too small, I bought a 15" Windows 7 laptop (I can't remember what brand) with 6Gb RAM and a crappy netbook-class AMD Vision processor. It cost less than the boot camp + display option, but taking nearly a second to register a mouse click has me tearing out my hair. Even though right click doesn't work properly with my Air touchpad, requiring a separate mouse, that's still much less frustrating than a glacially slow laptop. I tried putting Ubuntu onto it to see if that was better, but it was just as slow, leading me to believe the processor is the problem.

Binning it seems like a waste, and giving it away is cruel, so what could I do with it?
Sell it.

Then use the funds to:
- Fix Macbook Air (It may just be software).
- Buy a external monitor, you bought a cheap 15' laptop, you can easily get a 21inch monitor for under 150.
- Buy an external SSD follow a tutorial on installing Windows onto that.
Mac Mini 2.5GHz / 8GB ram / 120GB SSD & 6TB Thunderbolt Drive / 10.9.1
Holmes093 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac