Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Do we really need 128GB iPhone, what are you doing with the 64gb? Or are you suggesting it for suggestion sake?

Bit of both really ;) Would like to carry all of my music around + some movies, it's probably a bit over the top I know but still :)

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
They won't drop the 16gb. 16gb was dropped on the iPod Touch but look at its price. It went up in price, didn't stay the same.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Lets pay as much as a full laptop for a device that does half of what the laptop does. Seems logical.

But you can't stand up and use a laptop very conveniently. Or have built in LTE and a touchscreen (at least not with Macbooks).

Tablet and laptops, apples and oranges.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Wow a 128 gb for $799 (interesting, the prices are listed in CND).
I really hope that flash technology drop in price real soon
Edit again: its both 799 Canadian and American.

It has been for years now.
Apple lost the memo in their maps department.
When they find it they'll start passing component savings costs onto the faithful...or not.
Massive margins...$700/share...nevermind.

MemoryDiskPriceGraph-2012Feb.jpg

Last edited:

solaris7

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Lets pay as much as a full laptop for a device that does half of what the laptop does. Seems logical.

Really man, this again? The VAST majority that have a laptop use it for simple things like web browsing, checking e-mails, watching a movie etc. The iPad arguably offers a far superior medium for that in a very nice form factor.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I, for one, think this move is genius on Apple's part. It gives them a boost on sales + revenue midway through the product cycle, and nobody can complain that they bought a 32 GB for $100 more than they aught to have (well, they will, but without the sincerely they would have if Apple actually dropped the price by $100 mid cycle.)

I'm not saying I support them as a customer in this move, but if I had spare money to invest in them, I'd think about it.

jomarr

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
Do we really need 128GB iPhone, what are you doing with the 64gb? Or are you suggesting it for suggestion sake?

Yes. I filled up my 64 GB iPod touch before with my big music collection. I sold it and bought a classic and now I have the iPhone. I have 2 devices, I'd much rather have only 1.

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
What, more options for customizing your device? I am always being told that Apple doesn't believe in choice. /s

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Why would someone need that much space when there are so many cloud services?

See AT&T, Verizon & Sprint tiered data rates. Cloud could be wonderful but you have to pay these tollmasters for access anywhere, anytime that you are away from wifi. The cloud is not the answer as long as such tollmasters have a lock on the pipe between consumers and this cloud.

Man4allsea

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
I am getting offended by apples pricing...
16gb (32gb-16gb) = $100
AND
32gb (64-32gb) = $100
AND now
64gb (128-64gb) =$100
Everybody knows that flash is cheap and that we are being ripped off, but now it's gotten absurd .
I have been a loyal apple enthusiast for years, but there is a point.
I say we all stop buying until apple gets more reasonable in their markups.
iPad 16gb $400
iPad 32gb $450
iPad 64gb $500
iPad 128gb $579

And apple while you are at it, why don't you drop the lte option down to $50?

How can it be that we are asked to pay the same prices for the same amount of memory as we were in 2008?!?
Where else in electronics has that ever happened?

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
hope to see this soon!
iPad 4 - 16GB 399.00
iPad 5 - 32GB 499.00 64GB 599.00 128GB 699.00

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013

I have a limit per month of dl/up which is too small to store much data in a cloud service. (If I need a 128 GB iPad, it means that I have a lot of GB to store in the cloud) Instead, I have a local NAS. I still buy things physical (CD/BD). Why I would pay the same price (or often more) for an extra lossy compression that I even don't own ? So... All things I buy aren't in the cloud.

Oh, and well, as I compress movie from the BD and that I use them on my TV, I prefer to keep an higher bitrate than iTunes movie, so they're bigger. I need more space on an iPad for that.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
why?

I dont understand why people are paying for fixed storage.

Just get the camera kit. Get any array of SD cards (including 128 Gigs). Install iFile (for easy selection and viewing movies right from), and carry your entire HD movie collection with you at all times, without taking any space on a 16 gig iPad......and no internet needed.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Doubtful.
At that price I think I'd rather buy a MB Air.

I'm just not biting this time...I've become accustomed to managing my 64GB iPad 4, and I'm NOT forking out for a brand new ipad just months after the new one. I'd rather save the money and buy a refreshed rMBP 15" to replace the 17" cMBP I just sold. But, I suspect they will sell in droves.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008

I would consider it. I have 24,000+ songs in iTunes...all at 320k. Of that, I have probably 8000 that are a 5-star rating (I used to dj). I also take a lot of video clips of our kids which eat up an enormous amount of space (30 seconds of video = 100MB space).

I can only fit about 4500 320k songs on my iPhone 64GB right now while leaving room for 15+ mins of video recording and some pix.

We all know the iPhone's calling features are at the bottom of the list of the reasons to buy an iPhone. :) My iPhone is really a jukebox for me...the Touch's don't have enough features to warrant their prices compared to iPhones.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
I dont understand why people are paying for fixed storage.

Just get the camera kit. Get any array of SD cards (including 128 Gigs). Install iFile (for easy selection and viewing movies right from), and carry your entire HD movie collection with you at all times, without taking any space on a 16 gig iPad......and no internet needed.

Wouldn't we need to jailbreak the iPad? If so, that's why you are not understanding why most consumers are paying for the fixed storage...most consumers don't have the skills (or knowledge to even know about in advance) to jailbreak.

trustme

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Really man, this again? The VAST majority that have a laptop use it for simple things like web browsing, checking e-mails, watching a movie etc. The iPad arguably offers a far superior medium for that in a very nice form factor.

Right, but if you're gonna have a 128 GB tablet, you're obviously doing a lot with it. Might as well buy a laptop and make life easier.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Can't wait for the 256 GB at $899!

Seriously though, I think this is an odd moment to introduce this. Yes, it should have been introduced already, way earlier. But today it almost feels too late with iCloud, Netflix, Spotify, Dropbox, all that. I don't exactly have a growing library of mp3 files these days. Sure, it's nice if you have a conservative data plan, but I can't say I'm without WiFi for weeks at a time too often.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008

There are about 25 reasons NOT to use the Cloud...those reasons have been talked about in great length on this site and hundreds of other sites. Google around a bit (or just surf through MR)...I'm not going to repeat them here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.