Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:39 AM   #1
qaiser57
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Macbook Pro A1278,13inch,2.7Ghz i7

To replace the hard drive I did the following,
1-Disconnect the battery connector
2-Afterwards replace the hard drive.

When I switched on the MBP it did not turn on, so restart it I did the following,
1-Put back the old hard drive.
2-Switch on the MBP but it did not work.
For SMC reset I followed the apple advice but of no use,the MBP did not turn on.One more thing when the charger is connected the light fade off after some time.
Some body may rescue me from this situation.

Take care.
qaiser57 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:48 AM   #2
Crzyrio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaiser57 View Post

When I switched on the MBP it did not turn on, so restart it I did the following,
For SMC reset I followed the apple advice but of no use,the MBP did not turn on.One more thing when the charger is connected the light fade off after some time.

Take care.
Just check all the cables, one of them is prolly sticking out. DOuble check the battery cable. FYI, no need to unplug battery for hard drive change.
Crzyrio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:05 PM   #3
qaiser57
macrumors newbie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Just check all the cables, one of them is prolly sticking out. DOuble check the battery cable. FYI, no need to unplug battery for hard drive change.
Hi crzyrio,
battery cables are good,do you any other suggestions.
TC
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Crzyrio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hi crzyrio,
battery cables are good,do you any other suggestions.
TC
Hey

sorry for the late reply. There is ONE other cable that is very important.

I will let you know and possible upload a picture when home.

When I was replacing my CD drive I accidentally unplugged the cable and nothing would happen when I hit the power button. It is a tiny 2 prongged cable that comes from the top of the macbook.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:03 AM   #5
qaiser57
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hey

sorry for the late reply. There is ONE other cable that is very important.

I will let you know and possible upload a picture when home.

When I was replacing my CD drive I accidentally unplugged the cable and nothing would happen when I hit the power button. It is a tiny 2 prongged cable that comes from the top of the macbook.
waiting
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Freestar007
macrumors newbie

Quote:
One more thing when the charger is connected the light fade off after some time.
Found this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

It could be your power adapter has gone bad. Find another one and test... even could go into an Apple store and 'borrow' a plug for a few minutes.
Freestar007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Crzyrio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
waiting
Sorry about that. Check this cable, just nothing would happen when it was slightly unplugged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AEKCf4R3cOrBcDIA.medium.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	394627  
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:25 AM   #8
qaiser57
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestar007 View Post
Found this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

It could be your power adapter has gone bad. Find another one and test... even could go into an Apple store and 'borrow' a plug for a few minutes.
Hi, the power adopter is working good bcuz I checked it another MBP, the problem is beyond understanding that when I disconnected the battery cable and reconnected it again what went wrong that MBP failed to power up?????????? it seems that some ic has gone off, I do not know exactly....

----------

Quote:
Sorry about that. Check this cable, just nothing would happen when it was slightly unplugged.
the picture shows the red circle this connector relates to audio and where as the other is for fan,these connectors of my MBP are perfect because I did not touch it.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Crzyrio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hi, the power adopter is working good bcuz I checked it another MBP, the problem is beyond understanding that when I disconnected the battery cable and reconnected it again what went wrong that MBP failed to power up?????????? it seems that some ic has gone off, I do not know exactly....

----------

the picture shows the red circle this connector relates to audio and where as the other is for fan,these connectors of my MBP are perfect because I did not touch it.
I know it is but the moment that is disconnected, nothing works lol. Double check the cable, even a little bit out and nothing will work.

Just walk through all the steps you did and re sit the HD you will probably find something you missed
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:38 AM   #10
qaiser57
macrumors newbie

Arrow MBP mythology

Quote:

Take care.
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your input and I have checked every thing as suggested by you but it did not work.Finally I took the very bold step, first I replace the charging chip 629 then afterwards the SMC chip,after replacing both the MBP start working as normal.
The question remains the same that by adopting all safety measures I disconnected the battery conector and after performing the task the MBP becomes dead.......why it happened.Because in Macbook Technician guide it is clearly mentioned that when going to replace memory/HDD the battery has to be disconnected.
Just for the sake of information,does any one bothers to respond on my question.

Take care
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:46 AM   #11
Rodster
macrumors 68030

Disconnecting the battery is standard service protocol for ALL notebook repairs by every MFG including Apple. If you are careful you don't have to disconnect the battery.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:30 AM   #12
qaiser57
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Precautions

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your input and I have checked every thing as suggested by you but it did not work.Finally I took the very bold step, first I replace the charging chip 629 then afterwards the SMC chip,after replacing both the MBP start working as normal.
The question remains the same that by adopting all safety measures I disconnected the battery conector and after performing the task the MBP becomes dead.......why it happened.Because in Macbook Technician guide it is clearly mentioned that when going to replace memory/HDD the battery has to be disconnected.
Just for the sake of information,does any one bothers to respond on my question.

Take care
Hi Guys, After doing some home work with Apple documents it is revealed that if some one tends to disconnect the battery of MBP to perform some upgrade or else then care should taken (1) if the machine is recently switched off and before removing the back cover,please wait for at least 10 min to get the hot components to cool down.

Take Care.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro