Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Can't quote Jasphair's post as it crashes Safari. The Italian site references a build a couple of versions old, and it's just guesswork on their part.
Incremental OS updates generally don't get "GM" builds, they just show up for public access.
Apple must fix this "file" bug as it's effectively a denial of service at this point.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Can't quote Jasphair's post as it crashes Safari. The Italian site references a build a couple of versions old, and it's just guesswork on their part.
Incremental OS updates generally don't get "GM" builds, they just show up for public access.
Apple must fix this "file" bug as it's effectively a denial of service at this point.

This. The vast majority of 10.x.y releases don't have a GM, so that's not even a possible clue.

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
This site may or may not have any merit, nor do I speak any Italian (and could be completely missing the translation), but this appears to reference February 5th (5-febbraio-2013)?.

http://www.applerumors.it/2013/01/26/os-x-mountain-lion-10-8-3-in-arrivo-il-5-febbraio-2013/

Whether or not this is credible... well...

That article just says that the fact that there have been quite a few betas leads them to think that the release should be pretty soon, and then the date 5th February is arbitrarily advanced as the first possible date of public release. In short it's just baseless speculation.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
One thing is for sure - even if 10.8.3 was nearing release before, it's definitely not going to be coming out now until the file(I won't type the whole thing) bug is fixed. Not sure how long that would take.

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
One thing is for sure - even if 10.8.3 was nearing release before, it's definitely not going to be coming out now until the file(I won't type the whole thing) bug is fixed. Not sure how long that would take.

They can release a seperate 'file///' patch to resolve the bug.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sure, two no-name sites, one of which is ANOTHER forum, and the first of which sounds like its written by your typical redditor who trolls /r/technology to bait the apple users with statements like "Apple better release this before they're DOOMED". :rolleyes:
You're clearly not privy to the developer site, or you wouldn't be making this argument. You would see that those quotes are directly from the beta download that is available to developers.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
You're clearly not privy to the developer site, or you wouldn't be making this argument. You would see that those quotes are directly from the beta download that is available to developers.

And you clearly lack the ability to read a full thread, as I said I was mistaken about Windows 8 support being in the 10.8.3. But to use those two sites as a counter-point to the (perfectly reasonable) skepticism I posed, thats just silly.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
And you clearly lack the ability to read a full thread, as I said I was mistaken about Windows 8 support being in the 10.8.3. But to use those two sites as a counter-point to the (perfectly reasonable) skepticism I posed, thats just silly.
I did read the whole thread, and I saw your retraction. I was responding to your claim that it wasn't valid, simply because it hadn't been picked up by any blog or other source, which is a poor criteria for determining the validity of the information posted.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I did read the whole thread, and I saw your retraction. I was responding to your claim that it wasn't valid, simply because it hadn't been picked up by any blog or other source.

Because at the time it was a single source of uncertain origin and reliability. Then I went installed and discovered it was in fact there, so I retracted my statements. Still doesn't change the fact that I'm not going to believe a single forum poster or some no-name neckbeard blogger writing in giant hyperboles; trusted, verified sources with a history of accuracy, or first-hand experience will always trump those.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Because at the time it was a single source of uncertain origin and reliability. Then I went installed and discovered it was in fact there, so I retracted my statements. Still doesn't change the fact that I'm not going to believe a single forum poster or some no-name neckbeard blogger writing in giant hyperboles; trusted, verified sources with a history of accuracy, or first-hand experience will always trump those.
So a more proper and less rude response would have been, "Thanks! I'll check that out!". Then download it for yourself to prove the statement was true, rather than denigrate those who are posting accurate information.

jasphair

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
I'm not familiar with Apple Dev restrictions, but I'm assuming there's a NDA attached to testing betas?

One other thought - if the devs already have this 12D58 build of 10.8.3 and it did come with newer Bootcamp drivers for Windows 8, wouldn't someone have copied up the driver archive somewhere by now? Or otherwise confirmed "just installed 12D58, includes Windows 8 drivers that work awesome" etc, or would that amount to piracy/breaking NDA as stated above?

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I'm not familiar with Apple Dev restrictions, but I'm assuming there's a NDA attached to testing betas?

One other thought - if the devs already have this 12D58 build of 10.8.3 and it did come with newer Bootcamp drivers for Windows 8, wouldn't someone have copied up the driver archive somewhere by now? Or otherwise confirmed "just installed 12D58, includes Windows 8 drivers that work awesome" etc, or would that amount to piracy/breaking NDA as stated above?

As I stated, 10.8.3 includes a new boot camp app that supports windows 8, but the driver packages are downloaded on-demand and the windows 8 packages aren't on the server yet.

PBP

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
Apple seeds OS X 10.8.3 build 12D65 to developers

Not coming this week i guess :eek:

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Apple seeds OS X 10.8.3 build 12D65 to developers

Not coming this week i guess :eek:

Theres no proof thats the case. If this seed has no known issues and none are found, Apple could turn around and release this as the real build at their leisure.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
so what beta are they up to?

12D68 is the current latest. The win8 boot camp drivers aren't up on the server yet as of this post either. Also, I've been noticing some weirdness in safari under this one, so it's not a sure thing that they're close to final release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.