Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:21 AM   #26
chrfr
macrumors 68030

Can't quote Jasphair's post as it crashes Safari. The Italian site references a build a couple of versions old, and it's just guesswork on their part.
Incremental OS updates generally don't get "GM" builds, they just show up for public access.
Apple must fix this "file" bug as it's effectively a denial of service at this point.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:55 AM   #27
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Can't quote Jasphair's post as it crashes Safari. The Italian site references a build a couple of versions old, and it's just guesswork on their part.
Incremental OS updates generally don't get "GM" builds, they just show up for public access.
Apple must fix this "file" bug as it's effectively a denial of service at this point.
This. The vast majority of 10.x.y releases don't have a GM, so that's not even a possible clue.
Senseotech is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:15 AM   #28
EmpyreanUK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasphair View Post
This site may or may not have any merit, nor do I speak any Italian (and could be completely missing the translation), but this appears to reference February 5th (5-febbraio-2013)?.

http://www.applerumors.it/2013/01/26...febbraio-2013/

Whether or not this is credible... well...
That article just says that the fact that there have been quite a few betas leads them to think that the release should be pretty soon, and then the date 5th February is arbitrarily advanced as the first possible date of public release. In short it's just baseless speculation.
EmpyreanUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:36 AM   #29
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

One thing is for sure - even if 10.8.3 was nearing release before, it's definitely not going to be coming out now until the file(I won't type the whole thing) bug is fixed. Not sure how long that would take.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:34 AM   #30
PBP
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
One thing is for sure - even if 10.8.3 was nearing release before, it's definitely not going to be coming out now until the file(I won't type the whole thing) bug is fixed. Not sure how long that would take.
They can release a seperate 'file///' patch to resolve the bug.
PBP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:46 PM   #31
b0fh666
macrumors regular

considering how stupid that bug is, i'd say it takes 5 minutes to fix
b0fh666 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:48 PM   #32
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0fh666 View Post
considering how stupid that bug is, i'd say it takes 5 minutes to fix
Not true. That bug resides deep in the Mach kernel and the syntax used in C++ and other compilers.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:56 PM   #33
b0fh666
macrumors regular

URLs are parsed @ kernel level in OSX? man, you are undermining my faith in the OS
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:58 PM   #34
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
Yup, a single post on a single forum by a single user about something that if true would've been picked up by countless blogs and other sources?
You mean like these?:

http://ghaoui.com/blog/2013/01/apple...opers-mac-blog
http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-masters/1019...logic-9-a.html
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:01 PM   #35
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Sure, two no-name sites, one of which is ANOTHER forum, and the first of which sounds like its written by your typical redditor who trolls /r/technology to bait the apple users with statements like "Apple better release this before they're DOOMED".
Senseotech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:02 PM   #36
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0fh666 View Post
URLs are parsed @ kernel level in OSX? man, you are undermining my faith in the OS
OSX doesn't see it as a URL. It thinks it's a compressed file.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:04 PM   #37
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Sure, two no-name sites, one of which is ANOTHER forum, and the first of which sounds like its written by your typical redditor who trolls /r/technology to bait the apple users with statements like "Apple better release this before they're DOOMED".
You're clearly not privy to the developer site, or you wouldn't be making this argument. You would see that those quotes are directly from the beta download that is available to developers.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:06 PM   #38
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
You're clearly not privy to the developer site, or you wouldn't be making this argument. You would see that those quotes are directly from the beta download that is available to developers.
And you clearly lack the ability to read a full thread, as I said I was mistaken about Windows 8 support being in the 10.8.3. But to use those two sites as a counter-point to the (perfectly reasonable) skepticism I posed, thats just silly.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:08 PM   #39
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
And you clearly lack the ability to read a full thread, as I said I was mistaken about Windows 8 support being in the 10.8.3. But to use those two sites as a counter-point to the (perfectly reasonable) skepticism I posed, thats just silly.
I did read the whole thread, and I saw your retraction. I was responding to your claim that it wasn't valid, simply because it hadn't been picked up by any blog or other source, which is a poor criteria for determining the validity of the information posted.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:11 PM   #40
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I did read the whole thread, and I saw your retraction. I was responding to your claim that it wasn't valid, simply because it hadn't been picked up by any blog or other source.
Because at the time it was a single source of uncertain origin and reliability. Then I went installed and discovered it was in fact there, so I retracted my statements. Still doesn't change the fact that I'm not going to believe a single forum poster or some no-name neckbeard blogger writing in giant hyperboles; trusted, verified sources with a history of accuracy, or first-hand experience will always trump those.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:16 PM   #41
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Because at the time it was a single source of uncertain origin and reliability. Then I went installed and discovered it was in fact there, so I retracted my statements. Still doesn't change the fact that I'm not going to believe a single forum poster or some no-name neckbeard blogger writing in giant hyperboles; trusted, verified sources with a history of accuracy, or first-hand experience will always trump those.
So a more proper and less rude response would have been, "Thanks! I'll check that out!". Then download it for yourself to prove the statement was true, rather than denigrate those who are posting accurate information.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:23 PM   #42
b0fh666
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
OSX doesn't see it as a URL. It thinks it's a compressed file.
so s/URL/compressed file/g in my post it still holds true you are killing me man!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:09 PM   #43
jasphair
macrumors member

I'm not familiar with Apple Dev restrictions, but I'm assuming there's a NDA attached to testing betas?

One other thought - if the devs already have this 12D58 build of 10.8.3 and it did come with newer Bootcamp drivers for Windows 8, wouldn't someone have copied up the driver archive somewhere by now? Or otherwise confirmed "just installed 12D58, includes Windows 8 drivers that work awesome" etc, or would that amount to piracy/breaking NDA as stated above?
jasphair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:11 PM   #44
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
wouldn't someone have copied up the driver archive somewhere by now? ...would that amount to piracy/breaking NDA as stated above?
Yes, it would.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:13 PM   #45
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Apple Dev restrictions, but I'm assuming there's a NDA attached to testing betas?

One other thought - if the devs already have this 12D58 build of 10.8.3 and it did come with newer Bootcamp drivers for Windows 8, wouldn't someone have copied up the driver archive somewhere by now? Or otherwise confirmed "just installed 12D58, includes Windows 8 drivers that work awesome" etc, or would that amount to piracy/breaking NDA as stated above?
As I stated, 10.8.3 includes a new boot camp app that supports windows 8, but the driver packages are downloaded on-demand and the windows 8 packages aren't on the server yet.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:15 PM   #46
PBP
macrumors 6502

Apple seeds OS X 10.8.3 build 12D65 to developers

Not coming this week i guess
PBP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:05 PM   #47
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBP View Post
Apple seeds OS X 10.8.3 build 12D65 to developers

Not coming this week i guess
Theres no proof thats the case. If this seed has no known issues and none are found, Apple could turn around and release this as the real build at their leisure.
Senseotech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:18 PM   #48
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

so what beta are they up to?
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:31 PM   #49
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3r1ca16 View Post
so what beta are they up to?
12D68 is the current latest. The win8 boot camp drivers aren't up on the server yet as of this post either. Also, I've been noticing some weirdness in safari under this one, so it's not a sure thing that they're close to final release.
Senseotech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:48 PM   #50
xgman
macrumors 68040

This is one of the longest interim beta cycles I can remember.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion