Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jj47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Hey guys, ive watched quite a few videos on each but am still not sure which one is better.

Could someone who has owned them give me a better insight as i think these apps are worth their weight in gold. I just want to make sure i have the best one.

Thanks!

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
Hey guys, ive watched quite a few videos on each but am still not sure which one is better.

Could someone who has owned them give me a better insight as i think these apps are worth their weight in gold. I just want to make sure i have the best one.

Thanks!

I'd go with iGotYa, I found it more reliable with sending emails immediately. Unfortunately neither work on iOS 6.

jj47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the input, looks like i'll be going with iGotYa.

Ive just checked the google doc for whether it works on ios6 and it says it does. I dont know whether to download now :/

jj47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
So ive now got iGotYa which works great apart from when i enter the wrong passcode the phone freezes for about 7 seconds until you can try again. I know it has to send the image and location but is there any way of minimising the time spent to do it.

tarek93

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
So ive now got iGotYa which works great apart from when i enter the wrong passcode the phone freezes for about 7 seconds until you can try again. I know it has to send the image and location but is there any way of minimising the time spent to do it.

I updated my device to ios 6 yesterday, and i can tell you iGotYa isn't 100% compatible with ios 6.
I tested it and it takes more time to send data than it does on ios 5, it also won't email a picture :( so basically it isn't fully compatible yet..

EDIT : After trying several times, it IS taking photos, I was testing it by using the "hold power button" method and unfortunately it lags and takes about 13 seconds till it respond again..

Last edited:

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
Why isn't IGotYa part of Find My Phone? This is indispensable!

Of course, there are a LOT of tweaks that Apple ought to integrate into their next OS. Like practically every tweak in Springtomize 2 and SBSettings.

Part of my wish list for OS7...

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
I'm off for a vaccation and it's a place where theft is pretty common.
I'm seconds away from deciding whether I'm going iCaughtU Pro or iGotYa.
Why I'm hesitating is because A. iCaughtYou has more updates done. This can mean the developer cares more or has more intention to fix things rather than B.

B. In the screenshots of iCaughtU Pro there is a picture showing off the message when passcode is entered incorrectly. In iGotYa however, the screenshot is taken from homescreen showing the exact same message function.

Is the message coming up on lockscreen for iGotYa or is it as the picture states, only working in homescreen?

JrFreak

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
ICaughtU would send test emails to me but wouldn't send the "real" emails. But it does now with the up date a few days ago.

ntegra

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2010
So what do you do when you get a picture of the theif and his location? Track him down and beat his face in or call the cops?

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
So what do you do when you get a picture of the theif and his location? Track him down and beat his face in or call the cops?

You drive up to the location and you see his house. Then you wait. Confirm by the pictures and confirm target.

You are free to eliminate target. Lol.

No but seriously, confirm it's him and then you go upfront to him. Maybe record the whole session as well?

Then you have enough material to get him in prison in the STATES M.F, maybe I don't know the rules there.

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
I've used both iGotYa and the free version of iCaughtU and noticed that iGotYa gives a more accurate location. iCaughtU keeps asking me that it wants access to the location services each time I respring my device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.