Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:20 PM   #1
loon3y
macrumors 6502a

Question About MTDirections API

what is the point of this api? a staff member implemented this API.

it seems like mapquest does offer a directions feature for their API. but they cost way too much money

i would ask the developer, but i dont want to rub him off the wrong way if we do need to purchase it and make a deal.

http://mtdirectionsk.it

i want a free map api i can have in my app, if google and bing are free and have the same feature, wouldn't every one just use it?

Last edited by loon3y; Jan 31, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
loon3y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:25 AM   #2
KoolStar
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to KoolStar Send a message via Skype™ to KoolStar
You could easily implement google maps direction api. Use their url based directions api which returns json data. Then uses there polyline data to convert to an MKOverlay that you can add to a map. This polyline data must be decoded as it is encoded to keep it small. They have the process of encoding documented so that you can decode it. You will also get the text directions you need to show in a list.

It more seems like your dev didnt want to do the work and wants to save time by not rewriting code that could be bought. Is it worth the devs time aka will he spend more time cost wise than 329 bucks. Most likely yes....
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:02 AM   #3
loon3y
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolStar View Post
You could easily implement google maps direction api. Use their url based directions api which returns json data. Then uses there polyline data to convert to an MKOverlay that you can add to a map. This polyline data must be decoded as it is encoded to keep it small. They have the process of encoding documented so that you can decode it. You will also get the text directions you need to show in a list.

It more seems like your dev didnt want to do the work and wants to save time by not rewriting code that could be bought. Is it worth the devs time aka will he spend more time cost wise than 329 bucks. Most likely yes....
\

thanks koolstar

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming