Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Hi

My server is 10.6 OSX, hence the standard remote management serverAdmin tool is not available to "remote" manage the server.

I was wondering if anyone knows/can suggest a tool for remote management.

Currently I use screen sharing but that is just not sufficient

Thanks for ideas

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: serveradmin....

Hi aicul,

The Terminal command, "serveradmin", is a utility available under all Mac OS X Server software versions, including 10.6.8. Thus if you don't want to VPN into your local network and then use screen sharing to administer your server, then you can SSH into your server computer and use the "serveradmin" terminal commands to administer your server. Another option is to use the Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) GUI to administer your server as well as any other machines you have on your local network.

Regards,
Switon

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Hi

Thanks for your input.

I do find the ARD a little overkill. Yes it does a lot, but I just want to have a status of my 1 (single) server. It costs $80 for a server that costs $1000...

On the SSH front that seems a little complex for someone that uses a mac to benefit from a GUI on unix. Anyway, I pulled up my sleves and tried. I systematically get a "Permission denied (publickey)." problem.

I googled this to error find a very obscure description of things I am not sure I really need.

Is there not solution but to spent $80 just to see if the server is working ? I'm thinking like the widgets that are available on the server, which I counld run on another mac ?

Thanks nonetheless for your advice

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: Server.app, VNC, VPN, Screen Sharing...

Hi

Thanks for your input.

I do find the ARD a little overkill. Yes it does a lot, but I just want to have a status of my 1 (single) server. It costs $80 for a server that costs $1000...

On the SSH front that seems a little complex for someone that uses a mac to benefit from a GUI on unix. Anyway, I pulled up my sleves and tried. I systematically get a "Permission denied (publickey)." problem.

I googled this to error find a very obscure description of things I am not sure I really need.

Is there not solution but to spent $80 just to see if the server is working ? I'm thinking like the widgets that are available on the server, which I counld run on another mac ?

Thanks nonetheless for your advice

Hi,

You know, if you already have Mac OS X Server, then you can also load it free of charge on your laptop and then use the Server.app to administer your home server.

Or you can VPN in to your home LAN and then use VNC (Screen Sharing) to share the server's screen and run the server's Server.app from Screen Sharing.

...just other options...

Switon

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi

My server is 10.6 OSX, hence the standard remote management serverAdmin tool is not available to "remote" manage the server.

I was wondering if anyone knows/can suggest a tool for remote management.

Currently I use screen sharing but that is just not sufficient

Thanks for ideas
Why is screen sharing insufficient? Your only other options to administer the server are to load the Server Admin tools for 10.6 on a local computer, which must be running 10.6 as well, or to use ssh.
If your computer is running an OS newer than the server, the only way to use the Server Admin tools is via screen sharing to the server.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: other tools have...

Why is screen sharing insufficient? Your only other options to administer the server are to load the Server Admin tools for 10.6 on a local computer, which must be running 10.6 as well, or to use ssh.
If your computer is running an OS newer than the server, the only way to use the Server Admin tools is via screen sharing to the server.

Hi chrfr,

Screen Sharing is more like a one-on-one encounter -- it is marvelous for administering a single machine. ARD or some of the other tools are more like one-to-many, you can more easily administer a whole network of machines, say by pushing updates to all of them at once, etc. Thus Screen Sharing works fine for small networks, not so great for larger networks.

Sorry aicul for interrupting...

Regards,
Switon

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Screen Sharing is more like a one-on-one encounter -- it is marvelous for administering a single machine. ARD or some of the other tools are more like one-to-many, you can more easily administer a whole network of machines,
Yes I know, I manage a whole lot of Macs for a living. The OP isn't asking about managing a lot of computers but rather one server.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Hi all

Thanks for input and sorry for slow response (just got my new iMac :-( but thats another post)

The server tools will not work because my other iMacs have a more recent version of OSX (lion).

VNC screen sharing is terribly slow to start (like over 1 minute). And I can't get it to work from outside my home LAN (either because I have not setup VPN correctly, or because the iMac is not on the same OSX version).

So currently I have "Remote Desktop - VNC" APP (free) that makes VNC screen sharing close to instantaneous.

But this cannot be a way to check if the server is ok? Is it ? :confused:

The sad thing is that the server admin tools will also not do LOM on mac minis....

Wish there was a reasonably priced "something" thru which I can remotely check the server.

cheers

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I use screen sharing when I on my local network. and logmein when I away from the local network. Works great on my headless mac mini

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
But this cannot be a way to check if the server is ok? Is it ? :confused:

The sad thing is that the server admin tools will also not do LOM on mac minis....

VNC is the only way you can do it, so yes, that's the way to check. And it is indeed a shame that Apple doesn't sell a Mac that supports LOM anymore.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I did followup the idea of LOGMEIN, but that requires special software to be installed on every iMac. Something I was hoping to avoid. Plus there are costs...

Anyway I share the below comment fully

And it is indeed a shame that Apple doesn't sell a Mac that supports LOM anymore.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: I apologize...

Yes I know, I manage a whole lot of Macs for a living. The OP isn't asking about managing a lot of computers but rather one server.

Hi chrfr,

Sorry, I really didn't mean to step on any toes nor be at all rude to you. I apologize.

The OP just said that Screen Sharing was not sufficient for his/her needs, so I was responding why this may be so. Sorry, I think I must have misunderstood your response...my fault.

Without wax (as Dan Brown would say),
Switon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.