Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:08 PM   #1
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Ringke Slim for Iphone 5

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01

I just got this case for my black IP5 a few days ago.

Pros:
1. Light weight.
2. Thin.
3. Great fit.
4. Made out of quality materials.
5. Small lip around the edges. Barely noticeable looking at it or rubbing your finger across it, but a slight lip to offer a little "face down" clearance.
6. Good access to all of the buttons and headphone jack.
7. Smooth hard plastic...almost a soft touch to it. Hard to explain, but it offers a nice feel in the hand and it slides easily in and out of pockets.
8. Adds very little bulk to the phone.
9. Cheap! $10 with free shipping.

Cons:
1. Difficult to get off. It snaps in and fits great, but it is challenging to get off.
2. I feel like they could have done without the lip on the top and bottom of the phone and just made those parts flush and rounded with the corners.
3. The areas with the cutouts (camera and volume buttons) seem to attract a fair amount of dust, so I find myself trying to clear away the camera lens every so often.
4. No cut out for the Apple logo on back (I'm really nit picking here).

Overall I think it is a great case for my particular use. I just wanted something that was thin, matched the color of my phone, easy to move in and out of pockets, and covered the back to prevent scratches. This case does that and then some. The tiny lip to offer the front of the phone face down clearance is a nice touch. I realize this case isn't going to save my phone from hard drops (though I have read some reviews from people stating that it has), I knew that going into it. I prefer a naked phone, but after 2-3 days of having this case on I hardly even notice it is there. And the peace of mind being able to set my phone down on any surface without worries of scratching is worth the trade off of not having a naked phone. Overall I would really recommend it. And at $10 it's hard to go wrong.

Edit: Crap, is there any way to change the subject line? I hate when people spell iPhone "Iphone". :S

Last edited by sdilley14; Jan 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:51 PM   #2
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

>4. No cut out for the Apple logo on back (I'm really nit picking here).

This is a BIG plus to me. I find case with a cutout for the Apple logo tacky. I don't understand why people want that:

a) Personally, I see no need to show off to others what kind of phone I carry.
b) For those who do in (a), it seems that the novelty has worn off. So many people has an iPhone now a day, so why have a cut out to show that you "also" have an iPhone? It's like cattle branding.

By the way, I love the Ringke Slim. I don't use it anymore because I got an Atelier Pall wallet.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:23 PM   #3
puppers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01

I just got this case for my black IP5 a few days ago.

Pros:
1. Light weight.
2. Thin.
3. Great fit.
4. Made out of quality materials.
5. Small lip around the edges. Barely noticeable looking at it or rubbing your finger across it, but a slight lip to offer a little "face down" clearance.
6. Good access to all of the buttons and headphone jack.
7. Smooth hard plastic...almost a soft touch to it. Hard to explain, but it offers a nice feel in the hand and it slides easily in and out of pockets.
8. Adds very little bulk to the phone.
9. Cheap! $10 with free shipping.

Cons:
1. Difficult to get off. It snaps in and fits great, but it is challenging to get off.
2. I feel like they could have done without the lip on the top and bottom of the phone and just made those parts flush and rounded with the corners.
3. The areas with the cutouts (camera and volume buttons) seem to attract a fair amount of dust, so I find myself trying to clear away the camera lens every so often.
4. No cut out for the Apple logo on back (I'm really nit picking here).

Overall I think it is a great case for my particular use. I just wanted something that was thin, matched the color of my phone, easy to move in and out of pockets, and covered the back to prevent scratches. This case does that and then some. The tiny lip to offer the front of the phone face down clearance is a nice touch. I realize this case isn't going to save my phone from hard drops (though I have read some reviews from people stating that it has), I knew that going into it. I prefer a naked phone, but after 2-3 days of having this case on I hardly even notice it is there. And the peace of mind being able to set my phone down on any surface without worries of scratching is worth the trade off of not having a naked phone. Overall I would really recommend it. And at $10 it's hard to go wrong.

Edit: Crap, is there any way to change the subject line? I hate when people spell iPhone "Iphone". :S
They have one with a cut out.

http://www.amazon.com/Matte-Navy-Log...+5+rearth+logo
puppers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:44 PM   #4
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by meistervu View Post
>4. No cut out for the Apple logo on back (I'm really nit picking here).

This is a BIG plus to me. I find case with a cutout for the Apple logo tacky. I don't understand why people want that:

a) Personally, I see no need to show off to others what kind of phone I carry.
b) For those who do in (a), it seems that the novelty has worn off. So many people has an iPhone now a day, so why have a cut out to show that you "also" have an iPhone? It's like cattle branding.

By the way, I love the Ringke Slim. I don't use it anymore because I got an Atelier Pall wallet.
I think it is tacky looking too, I just know that a lot of people would like the option to have the logo showing. Looks like the above poster found a case that does have that option.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:44 PM   #5
latormenta
macrumors member

Can I scratch of the Ringke Slim lettering at te bottom?
latormenta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:54 AM   #6
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Yes. Took me 30 seconds.
meistervu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:34 AM   #7
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

I've had this case for about a month now and I have to say that I'm still really digging it. I'm very much a person that prefers a naked phone over all else...but I'm also very obsessive about keeping my phones clean and scratch free.

It has proven to be durable, the hard plastic/soft rubber material it is made out of doesn't show scratches easily, the fit is still tight and has actually gotten better with time...like the case is starting to form to the phone, it wipes clean quickly and easily, and the combination of the matter black + the added lines from the case itself actually give the phone an enhanced look, IMO. Not to mention that the material feels so good in your hand and the case is so thin that after a couple weeks I really don't even notice it is on anymore.

Overall I'm very happy with this case...definitely the best $10 I've spent in quite a long time.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:20 PM   #8
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

The Ringke Slim is probably the nicest snap-on type case I've seen so far! But that opening in the back is HUGE!
RichardC300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:41 PM   #9
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC300 View Post
The Ringke Slim is probably the nicest snap-on type case I've seen so far! But that opening in the back is HUGE!
The opening for the camera lens? It's fair sized but I didn't think it was that big. Then again, I haven't really compared it to other cases.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:26 PM   #10
TheotherJoseph
macrumors member

I've been looking for a super slim case for my phone and this one looked perfect... Just got the case today and it is exactly what i wanted.... Thanks OP for the link
TheotherJoseph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:57 PM   #11
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

I have had this case since I got my iPhone 5 when it was released. I trimmed the lips at the bottom myself. It's flush now and it feels great in my hand.
Old May 31, 2013, 01:59 AM   #12
dmx
macrumors 6502

Just wanted to add my two cents on the Ringke Slim here.

Ordered it from Amazon. $9, free shipping. I mean come on, that's ridiculous - this case could easily sell for 20 or 30 bucks retail at an Apple Store.

While the top and bottom of the phone are not covered, there is a "lip" that sticks out enough to protect them. And while the "lip" on the front of the phone is very very small, it should work well enough to keep the phone from scratching if face down. Got a screen protector, anyways.

I love this case. It is an extremely tight and secure fit, great feel, and great value. The Ringke Slim lettering on the back of the case is very classy IMO - I like it. I'd definitely recommend this case to anyone looking for something slim. It really doesn't add any noticeable bulk to the phone, which is why I usually end up taking off other cases.

For reference, this is the one I ordered, in black:

http://www.amazon.com/SF-Matte-Black...ds=ringke+slim

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories