Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Why would someone need that much space when there are so many cloud services?

Well for one,many businesses don't trust outside cloud services with their data. And that is the type of user this size was really released for. Not granny who just likes to spend your inheritance on crap she will never figure out how to use

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
And that's why Apple is a $100B company and you're just sitting to your computer deciding on how they should run their business. ;)

Seriously though, Apple knows their customers will pay these prices and if you ran Apple's business with clientele that tend to have deeper pockets you'd do the same thing. Don't lie.

I said the same thing in the thread they just closed on the Ipad forum section.

The $100B company you spoke of did it before with the ipod lines.

Ditch the 16, keep the three tier SKU at the current prices.

4 SKUs are not ideal.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I think they are just trying to expand the iPad market upward a bit because it is likely that the iPad Mini is now taking a lot of the low end iPad sales. While this isn't a huge problem it is likely that the iPad Mini had less profit margin built into it then the larger iPad.

Apple must find new ways to maximize profit after shifting a lot of volume into a product segment that natually has less profit built in. Hopefully they can add the Retina display and a few other features to the Mini that will justify a price increase.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Why would someone need that much space when there are so many cloud services?

My wife uses her iPad for as a video recorder at sporting events and fills it up pretty quickly... you can't really use the cloud for that. Also, using the cloud for a ton of data can use up your data plan pretty quickly.

Really man, this again? The VAST majority that have a laptop use it for simple things like web browsing, checking e-mails, watching a movie etc. The iPad arguably offers a far superior medium for that in a very nice form factor.

My wife got an iPad in July and hasn't touched a computer since. She carries it in her purse and uses it constantly all day every day. She would never use an Air like that, and to her, the iPad is her computer.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hopefully they can add the Retina display and a few other features to the Mini that will justify a price increase.

I think the current price of the iPad mini is already such that a future retina screen can be included without a price increase. Compare the mini to other manufacturers and you can only conclude that it is in a high price range. Apple has a magnificent margin on it.

I think they will include a retina screen and keep the price the same. Margin will suffer, but only marginally due to the high price of the current mini.

knuster

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2009
Here in belgium the price of a 128GB wifi+cellular is 935€.
935€ = $1.264,49 !!!!
What a ripoff Apple!!

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I dont understand why people are paying for fixed storage.

Just get the camera kit. Get any array of SD cards (including 128 Gigs). Install iFile (for easy selection and viewing movies right from), and carry your entire HD movie collection with you at all times, without taking any space on a 16 gig iPad......and no internet needed.

We all know that, but it requires Jailbreaking, and not every user wants to do that...

----------

Apple is just testing the waters to see who will bite.

Once sales drop off the price will drop.

It does makes sense. If it sells, they will eventually drop the 16GB. most likely when the iPad 5 comes out (in October???).

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I said the same thing in the thread they just closed on the Ipad forum section.

The $100B company you spoke of did it before with the ipod lines.

Ditch the 16, keep the three tier SKU at the current prices.

4 SKUs are not ideal.

I'm not saying the pricing structure they have in place is "fair", what I was saying is they know their business structure very well, obviously. Very rarely have I seen Apple change the pricing structure recognizing that they made a mistake. In fact, the original iPhone is the only one that I know of that they made a drastic reduction in the price structure right away. They were new to the cell phone business and didn't know how to price a subsidized phone correctly.

Gobeatty

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
WTF! Apple launches a new device *outside* of a Keynote or other widely public event? Noooooooo!!!!!!!

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
For those doing the math, Moore's Law would put 8TB at around 2022. That's not that far away really.

Maybe even sooner. Especially with new video technologies, like 4K, I wouldn't be surprised to see 10TB cell phones by 2020.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
That is one sweet iPad. But backups and syncs could take a while. iCloud backups may not even be possible.

cmchsmjm

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
A better solution....?

We have settled on the perfect (for me and the family at any rate) set up for home and on the road.

x2 iPad 1st gen, 3g, one with at 16GB and one with 64GB. There are enough apps on the iPads to keep the kids entertained and when we travel we take along a 500 GB Seagate GoFlex WiFi hard drive loaded with nearly 500 movies.

We also have a superb Hard Drive HDMI media player by Sumvision (Cyclone pocket+) with a 640GB HD installed, with close to 1000 movies on it. When staying at a hotel or with friends we can plug in the HDMI cable into a TV...the kids love it!!!

Our iPhones carry all the music we need so it's very liberating to know that we don't have to shell out on any more Apple kit

Wingsnbeer

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
Ridiculous

An iPad for $799 / $929? That definitely falls into the category of having more money than common sense.

If I were pulling strings at Apple we'd have a 16GB Retina Wifi iPad with an SD card reader for $499.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
if i was going to pay that much for an iPad...i would just get the MBA...that's just me though...

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Will wait for 100 dollar price cut on iPad 5 this holiday season 2013.

Why Apple? Why push a new high price instead of cutting current prices or just sitting on it till a model update?

Because they can and people will buy it anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.