Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:22 AM   #1
sennacherib
macrumors newbie

Should I buy a low-end 13 inch?

So after owning two PC laptops that died out after two years of use I want to get a MacBook Pro. My main uses for the laptop will be recording, photo editing, a 200gb library of music, and watching movies.

I was thinking about getting the low-end 13" and upgrading the RAM and Hardrive myself while also replacing the optical drive with an SSD. With my student discount the Pro would be 1,100 and about 1,350 after upgrades.

I want the laptop to last longer than 2 years and not gradually decrease in performance like my PC laptops. I pick the low-end 13" because it's the cheapest and the i5 seems sufficient enough.

I've heard the upgradeable Pros are going to be replaced this July so I figure I have until then to do this. I'm just wondering if it's a good time to go for this plan now? And how good will this laptop be after upgrades? If anyone has done something similar to this what are the pro's and con's you've experienced? If you think I should go with a different Pro setup what do you recommend?

Thanks for your time.
sennacherib is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:33 AM   #2
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennacherib View Post
So after owning two PC laptops that died out after two years of use I want to get a MacBook Pro. My main uses for the laptop will be recording, photo editing, a 200gb library of music, and watching movies.

I was thinking about getting the low-end 13" and upgrading the RAM and Hardrive myself while also replacing the optical drive with an SSD. With my student discount the Pro would be 1,100 and about 1,350 after upgrades.

I want the laptop to last longer than 2 years and not gradually decrease in performance like my PC laptops. I pick the low-end 13" because it's the cheapest and the i5 seems sufficient enough.

I've heard the upgradeable Pros are going to be replaced this July so I figure I have until then to do this. I'm just wondering if it's a good time to go for this plan now? And how good will this laptop be after upgrades? If anyone has done something similar to this what are the pro's and con's you've experienced? If you think I should go with a different Pro setup what do you recommend?

Thanks for your time.
If you main use is going to be photo editing, a low-end 13" (r)MBP might not be sufficient enough.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:06 AM   #3
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
If you main use is going to be photo editing, a low-end 13" (r)MBP might not be sufficient enough.
Depends on the OP's definition of photo editing; in any case any of the late model Macs are sufficient for the majority of "photo editing" done out there. In fact my late Ultrabook/Windows 8 slate purchase even with only 4GB of RAM, runs Photoshop fine; it's only slower than my MacBook Pro, but it still works.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:18 AM   #4
sennacherib
macrumors newbie

Photo editing would not be intensive at all. Just for a class I have to take. My main concerns are the questions posted at the end.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Poisonivy326
macrumors 6502

I think your plan sounds perfect, I'd go for it.
Poisonivy326 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

Quote:
Neither Macs or PCs gradually decrease in performance over time. The hardware stays the same(unless you change something) but the software gets more demanding. This applies to Macs and PCs.

Anyway, the base 13" model is a good one if you're not doing anything processor intensive. Id suggest checking out the refurb store, you'll get a better deal there than you will with your student discount.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:59 AM   #7
sennacherib
macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for advice. I will wait for some more opinions to finalize my decision. But also, can someone link me to a thread here that will explain how to replace the 4gb of ram with 8, replace the 500gb HDD with a 1 or 2 TB drive, and how to replace the optical drive with a 128gb SSD and reinstall the OS on it?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:04 AM   #8
dukebound85
macrumors P6

I would rather always get the base, save on the upgrades (in terms of cpu and whatnot) and put aside that money for a newer base model down the road.

So I would get the base and up the ram and hdd
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:11 AM   #9
jchase2057
macrumors regular

The macbook will age a day at a time like your other machines. If you want os x then by all means get a mac. If you think they hardware is any different then you are mistaken.
OS X 10.6.8
jchase2057 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:24 AM   #10
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

If its a light photo editing, the low end should be fine.
But dont expect to do intensive work.

You can get upgrades like Optibay, SSD, RAMs etc later if you want.
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:56 PM   #11
mike5065
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Okay, thanks for advice. I will wait for some more opinions to finalize my decision. But also, can someone link me to a thread here that will explain how to replace the 4gb of ram with 8, replace the 500gb HDD with a 1 or 2 TB drive, and how to replace the optical drive with a 128gb SSD and reinstall the OS on it?
i did exactly as you are suggesting. base model for under 1K, then added 16GB RAM and dual SSD. no regrets.

best instructions are at ifixit. the optibay caddy can be found on amazon fairly cheap.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook...ibody_Mid_2012
mike5065 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro