Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:26 AM   #1
xxtraloud
macrumors newbie

macbook pro broken screen not switching to external monitor

I have a MacBook Pro mid/late 2007 with a completely dead screen. I just found out that it might be a known issue with the Nvidia graphics card http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377 . So I have been trying to connect it to an external monitor and nothing happens, there seems to be a signal because if I unplug the DVI connector from the mac then the monitor displays "check signal cable". I tried in shell mode and also tried keyboard shortcuts F7,command+F1, fn+F7, and so on. Nothing activates the external monitor in any way. Tried both on battery and on adapter power.

If the video card is shot then it would make sense that it is not working with an external monitor.

What do you guys think? What other troubleshooting should I do? At this point I am out of ideas. Also that nvidia recall has recently ended.

I thought I could at least use it with an external monitor but if the video card/logic board is shot then is it worth replacing?
xxtraloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:34 AM   #2
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

Take it to a Apple Store and let them take a look.
See if its really the GPU thats causing the problem.
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro